Using the Educational Discount??

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by sir42, Sep 16, 2003.

1. sir42 macrumors 6502

When using the educational discount online, do they verify your current student status anyhow? Do they require a copy of your student ID or student ID number? Or do they take your word for it that you are a student, as when purchasing the student Office suite?

Thanks!

2. Kwyjibo macrumors 68040

Kwyjibo

pretty much take it as your word fro mym experience

edit: thats with the online store, not sure if its different in the apple store, i think u need to fill out a form and show ID then.

3. KBFinFan macrumors 6502

Ya online is nothing.. but when my girlfriend went to the Apple Store she had to show ID and such..

Hope that helps..

4. question fear macrumors 68020

question fear

I used a student discount the week after i graduated from college...i know its not exceedingly ethical, but the fine print on the apple edu page said a school year ran from july 1-june 30, with no mention of graduating as an artificial end...
    and I used my regular school idea, and it was no hassle at the reg. apple store.
    Office v.X I ordered online with an edu disc and also received no hassles.
    --carly

5. sir42 thread starter macrumors 6502

Thanks for the help! I guess no one had a contrary experience?

6. wdlove macrumors P6

wdlove

My wife has only had to show her student ID, no forms to fill out. They also have a separate 800 number to call when assistance is needed. Seemed to get through faster than the regular number!

7. FuzzyBallz macrumors 6502a

FuzzyBallz

You don't exactly have to be a student to be eligible for the education discount, being a staff or faculty of a education institute will do.

Who is Eligible To Purchase
    The following education individuals are eligible to purchase through the Apple Store for Education individuals:

*Faculty or staff member of a public or private Higher Education Institution in the United States
    *Student currently attending or accepted into a public or private Higher Education Institution in the United States
    Qualifying purchases per academic school year (July 1 - June 30):

Power Mac, iMac, eMac, PowerBook, or iBook - One per year
    Printers - One per year
    Displays - Two per year
    Software - Two per year

8. wdlove macrumors P6

wdlove

Are these restrictions with the Apple Store Online and local Apple Store? Our local University Computer Store has no restrictions on software that I'm aware. My understanding was that you could purchase one PowerBooK and Power Mac in the same year!

9. lpie macrumors newbie

educational discount

I have bought 2 macs at the apple shop w/my educational discount. I am both an educator and a student. Additonally bought extended warrenty over the phone and .mac on line. At the shop all they asked for was my student i.d. which has no date (but I am a student), they didn't seem to care. Over the phone they asked me what school I attended, I told them and on line? I cannot remember. However nowhere is my student # recorded nor was it requested. No date of involvement w/university requested or indicated. there are stipulations on product purchases by year, but it they're reasonable.

The Apple store matched anything I found on line regarding educational discount, which was considerable, such as memory, ipod price plus rebate for students. Hey, you can't beat an ipod for a little external storage at $70. So if your in "want it now" mode and know your on line discount prices I am sure your retail store will accomodate you. But ask and if denied simply as the sales dude to check for certain w/a manager. Good luck, hope this helps

10. FuzzyBallz macrumors 6502a

FuzzyBallz

I think those are strictly Apple Online and In Store restrictions. We have none of those non-sense at the campus computer store. Although they are very very strict on the student ed. software. You must have a valid student ID to purchase student ed. software at time of purchase.

11. MacBandit macrumors 604

MacBandit

12. lpie macrumors newbie

Yes, here too, it's obvious. At the campus store you can buy many software programs for very, very little. What do they care, it is the campus retail store, not Apple directly. They have already sold the product to your campus retailer. Your campus store is an outside retailer and direct apple purchase stipulations would not apply. It is a different buying system (been on those committes at the university). The university has negotiated a contract w/the supplier (in this case MAC) for a reduced selling rate to their student population, because more than likely they have contracted a reduced buying rate. The manufacuter hopes for long term fidelity and exposure by introducing their products the student population at a usually discounted rate.