Using the iphone5 to tether to Microsoft Surface

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Kevin011, Dec 31, 2012.

1. macrumors newbie

I have an unlimited data plan through Verizon and I want to see if I can use it as an internet connection for my Microsoft Surface tablet. I know that if I want to use the mobile hotspot, I have to purchase a separate data plan for that. But I remember reading somewhere that Verizon allows tethering, which would allow the iphone to be used as a modem if connected via usb or Bluetooth for no additional cost.

I don't see an option for this in the settings. Do I have to download an app or something?

2. macrumors 68040

Jordan921

I'm sure you would have to pay for tethering to get that feature.

3. macrumors 6502a

That feature is an additional $30 a month.

Tethering is free for the tiered data plans.

4. macrumors regular

I just checked the app store and JGF's "Rock Paper Scissors" is still available. This app has an easter egg tethering feature that I am actually using right now to post this (iPhone 5 connected to my MBP). Note the app costs 2.99, but for tethering I find it worth it.

Found it thanks to this post (also explains how it works)

5. thread starter macrumors newbie

@ml.sail1 Thanks for pointing out the app, seems as though Windows 8 doesn't support adhoc networks. I found a work around for this online, I'll have to try it out when I have the time.

6. macrumors 6502

hgrimberg

But what happens on factory unlocked iphone 5's? There is an option to share internet. Is that tethering? You hAve to enter a username and password. What do i put there? I am not on any American carrier.

7. macrumors regular

I am actually using a factory unlocked iPhone on an American carrier (Net10-an ATT mvno) and it has the hotspot feature locked for me, probably due to the SIM card.

8. macrumors 6502

hgrimberg

In my case, i dont use an american carrier but it tells me to contact my carrier to setup internet sharing. How can I bypass this crap?