Using the new crop of LCD TVs as a monitor

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by JW8725, Apr 29, 2006.

1. JW8725 macrumors 6502a

Been looking about the net as I'm wanting a large monitor to mate with the computer. Something the family can use also. There seems to be a new crop of fine LCD TVs popping up. For example:

[​IMG]

Now then, this doesnt just look nice. Its also 40" 5000:1 Dynamic contrast ratio, with an 8ms response time.

Does anyone else use a TV instead of a monitor on their setup? Also this particular one doesnt seem to have a DVI connection. I would proll need a HDMI to DVI adapter. What are the pitfalls of that? Will that affect picture quality?:confused: :confused:

2. JW8725 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Here is something interesting from the Samsung website "Samsung LCD TVs can function as a high-resolution PC monitor and a high-end TV without any sacrifice in picture quality. Outperforming PC monitors in brightness, response time, resolution, and of course screen size, Samsung lets you easily adopt to the ever-expanding multimedia revolution."

3. aswitcher macrumors 603

aswitcher

I am using this one in my living room, connected regularly to my powerbook.

[​IMG]

Works fine a monitor when sitting 2-3 meters away.
    DVI-VGA adapter (came with PB) and then 5 meters of insulated VGA cable works fine for 1360x768 with a nice clear stable picture at 101cm/40".

DVI to HDMI looks better but there are problems with overscan losing your screen edges and non-overscan meaning you stare at a perfect 1280x720 image which pixel for pixel is only 37"/94cm across, leaving a black border around the whole image. This apparently happens to everyone with TVs and projectors.

4. JW8725 thread starter macrumors 6502a

The Samsung I'm after only has a HDMI out and no DVI out. So I guess I'd need that DVI to HDMI cable. So If I go this route I'll have a black border? I'm looking to run 1366x768, will I still get a border you reckon?

Man the last thing I need is wasted space. May have to give the TV a miss then. So If I go DVI to DVI will I still get this same problem? Samsung do an M series with DVI out but it doesnt look as good as the one in the above pic.

5. aswitcher macrumors 603

aswitcher

Its not a TV problem, its what the camputer is handing to the TV. I hear this always happens with TVs.

No Samsung wiht DVI - and if they did I am not 100% this would fix the problem but it might.