Using the RETURN button to execute...

Discussion in 'Macintosh Computers' started by chungbob, Oct 15, 2005.

1. chungbob macrumors newbie

Hi i recently purchased an iBook and was wondering if i could use the Return button to execute and access files, folders, files etc... as you could do if using windows os, instead of always double tapping the button on the tracker. The problem is when im tryng to do this on the ibook - it will normally enable me to change the folder or file name.

2. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

Try COMMAND-O for open where COMMAND is that quirky on with an outline of an Apple logo on it.

3. chungbob thread starter macrumors newbie

hey thanks... thats alot better than the double click of the tracker button ;)

4. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

5. x86isslow macrumors 6502a

You can also press Command+Down arrow to open a file/folder/app. Command+Up will take you up a level in file hierarchy.

6. mrichmon macrumors 6502a

To bring up a list of Finder shortcut keys, click on your desktop to make the Finder your current application then press Command-?. In the help window use the search box in the upper right to search for "Shortcuts for the Finder". about the 10th item in the resulting list is a document named "Shortcuts for the Finder" which should be a helpful list if you are used to keyboard shortcuts on windows.

7. chungbob thread starter macrumors newbie

hey thank you for the help - its been very useful since im new to the mac os. Iv only been using it for a few days but already im wondering why on earth it took me so long to switch? :rolleyes: