using the Shuffle as a USB key

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by BuckWright, Feb 3, 2005.

1. BuckWright macrumors member

My iMac will be arriving soon, and I need a way to transport files to print at school. will the Ipod shuffle be able to do this? can I save a word file on my mac with the shuffle and take it to school and print from a Dell? that's my situation and a shuffle would be perfect if it could do that.

Having never used a key at all, I also didn't know if I would have to install some kind of software for them to work on a PC.

2. RBMaraman macrumors 65816

RBMaraman

Yes, the iPod Shuffle would be perfect for you. As long as the PC is running XP, no drivers are necessary.

3. lasuther macrumors 6502a

The Shuffle is amazing deal when compared to other USB key drives:

$99 512MB Shuffle versus $80 512MB USB key drive
    $139 (edu.) 1Gig Shuffle versus $110 1Gig USB key drive

If you are in the market for a USB drive, it makes sense to spend a few more dollars for the Shuffle.

lasuther

4. Xenious macrumors 6502a

Here is something odd I noticed. I copied a file to my shuffle on my Mac. Then I went to my pc to put some additional files on it. I noticed there was a file with a . in front of it along with the file I copied.

So:

.mydoco.rtf
    mydoco.rtf

It is FAT formatted (the same as all shuffles). Whats in the . file? It's binary and about 89 bytes.

5. stevep macrumors 6502a

stevep

These files are created on volumes that don't natively support full HFS file characteristics (e.g. ufs volumes, Windows fileshares, etc). When a Mac file is copied to such a volume, its data fork is stored under the file's regular name, and the additional HFS information (resource fork, type & creator codes, etc) is stored in a second file (in AppleDouble format), with a name that starts with "._". (These files are, of course, invisible as far as OS-X is concerned, but not to other OS's; this can sometimes be annoying...)

6. ejb190 macrumors 65816

ejb190

I get that all the time when I move files from my Mac at home to my work PC. The files only show up on the PC. Not sure what they are, but the one time I tried to delete them, it ruined the disk (a Zip 250) when I brought it back the the Mac.

And if you look for sales, you can get USB drives cheeper than that, lasuther. My Lexar JumpDrive (256) only cost about $30.

I love these things! I am never going to lug around Zip Disks again! Had a friend who ran his through the laundry (washer and dryer) with no problems. I wonder if the Shuffle is as durable?

7. brandon6684 Guest

If you need(or would like to have) an MP3 player go for the shuffle, if you don't just get a cheap USB drive.