Using the US iTunes Store Outside the US

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by faintedlife, Dec 28, 2006.

1. faintedlife macrumors member

I'm studying abroad in Western Europe for the first six months of 2007 and I have one quick question. Can U.S. users of the store access, purchase, and download content from the U.S. iTunes Store while outside of the country? The account is still grounded in the U.S.

2. WildCowboy Administrator/Editor

WildCowboy

Staff Member

3. adamyoshida macrumors regular

So, hypothetically, if I were to acquire a US mailing address and a disposable US credit card, I could buy stuff from the iTunes store while in Canada? (I live ten minutes from the border).

4. WildCowboy Administrator/Editor

WildCowboy

Staff Member

Hypothetically, yes, but it is a violation of the terms of service for the store.

Technically, the original poster's situation would also be in violation of the terms of service, but I'd think Apple would be very lenient with someone who actually who is only temporarily abroad and is trying to access their home country's store through an account they have there. Someone in the situation you propose would have less of a leg to stand on, as you don't have a legitimate presence in the US.

Here are the terms for the US store. The relevant section: