Using the xbox controller

Discussion in 'Games' started by JzzTrump22, Jun 15, 2005.

1. JzzTrump22 macrumors 65816

What adapter do i need to use my xbox controller with my mac? I want to play all my fps games with it because i like it more than the keyboard and mouse.

2. Uma888 macrumors 6502

this CAN be done, but only on pc. the drivers are somwhere on xbox-scene.com

the xbox pad is just a usb pad, you can re-wire it to use a normal usb plug

PS: sry for NOT lookin this up for you, i remember seeing the article on xbscene years ago. should still be there, good luck

PSS: it uses a reverse engineered MS sidewinder driver

3. homerjward macrumors 68030

homerjward

Ø_ø how does one go about doing this?

4. JzzTrump22 thread starter macrumors 65816

So is it possible to get it to play with my mac at all?

5. SilversunStreak macrumors member

SilversunStreak

Yes, you have to get the right program. Search for Xbox HID Driver for mac. It's a preference panel that lets you map the keys and such and use them in games on your mac. It expires after a few weeks and then you have to pay for it to keep using it. "Gamepad Companion" is another program that's free and I use. I plugged in my Xbox DVD remote and mapped the controller buttons so I can control my itunes from across the room or when I'm in bed layin' out.

6. AppleinJapan macrumors regular

I do know that Halo and KOTOR don't work with a controller....So I bought on X-box (I hate playing games on a keyboard)

7. buryyourbrideau macrumors 65816

buryyourbrideau

can you please respond or PM me on how to do this. i am so interested. how do you plug in the dvd receiver?

thanks in advance if you care to explain :)

8. cerfsud macrumors newbie

it's totally possible to use an xbox controller on the mac:

- you'll need this adapter to plug the controller into your mac: http://www.lik-sang.com/info.php?category=83&products_id=2701&

- and you'll need this driver to make mac os x recognize the controller as a standard joypad: http://homepage.mac.com/walisser/xboxhiddriver/. yeah it's got a 30 day limit on customizing the controllers, but it only costs $5 to remove that limit.

- if you find that driver inadequate, i've heard this one works pretty well too: http://www.carvware.com/gamepadcompanion.html

9. SilversunStreak macrumors member

SilversunStreak

You can find adapter cables online. I got mine off ebay a few months ago. Just search on ebay for "xbox usb". There's also tutorials online for how to dissect a usb cable and a xox controller to make your own usb adapter..but I'd probably of messed that up. I'd rather pay $9 than $30 for a new controller.

10. JzzTrump22 thread starter macrumors 65816

Thanks for the links! The other thing i just started thinking about is will the xbox xontroller still work on my xbox after doing all this stuff? I understand your just hooking it up to as a usb connection. But when you map the keys, does that affect the controller or just your computer?

11. topgunn macrumors 65816

topgunn

The keys are mapped in software, be it on the Mac or Xbox. The controller has no memory to store any settings like that.

12. beige matchbox macrumors 6502a

beige matchbox

Boring people :rolleyes:

DIY it :D, mine looks pretty ugly, but it cost a total of... drum roll please... 50p + about 10mins of cutting and soldering :cool:

[​IMG]

edit:

You can also hack an xbox extension cable, meaning theres no mods to your expensive XBOX bits :)

13. topgunn macrumors 65816

topgunn

Looks quite good actually

14. cubist macrumors 68020

USB Overdrive is good also. You just map the buttons on the gamepad to different keypresses on the Mac, and voila!

I have a GameCube controller now, but I've also used a PS2 controller. No problems at all.

15. jared_kipe macrumors 68030

jared_kipe

Mine looks very similar, I was about to take a picture (I've had a picture of this up on macrumors at one time or another) but has a shorter cord. Its very simple to do, just pop open that huge section and drill a hole in the back/side to get the cable out. Solder wires together (I remember them being color coded) and put it all back together. Word of advice, don't use the keyboard USB ports, took me awhile to figure out why it wasn't working, thought I grounded something out.

16. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

beautiful mr.matchbox! are there any online guides for this? might have to butcher mine tommorow :cool:

17. crazzyeddie macrumors 68030

crazzyeddie

Halo does work with the XBox controller. Halo 1.5 added gamepad support, combined with the XBox HID driver, it works fine.

18. beige matchbox macrumors 6502a

beige matchbox

Yeah, theres loads of guides around using various methods, Can't find the one i used though :rolleyes:

Search for "xbox controller pc" or something, loads of results, from ready made bits, to howtos :)

19. crap freakboy macrumors 6502a

crap freakboy

You prefer joypad over keyboard and mouse??? :eek: faints

20. jared_kipe macrumors 68030

jared_kipe

Joypad is better for some things, its much easier to play any old emulated game on a controller than keyboard.

I can't believe m$ is going to drop the ball for not allowing keyboard and mouse controls for the 360. Halo2 would be a lot better for me if I could play with a mouse, the mouse is mightier than the stick when it comes to aiming.

21. crap freakboy macrumors 6502a

crap freakboy

I'd love a mouse and keyboard for all the first person shooters on the xbox, took me ages to get used to the joypad. I realise you can get hardware to use a K&M but the reviews have been hit and miss especially regarding slow turning speeds. A Xbox360 K&B would be major USP to me.

22. jared_kipe macrumors 68030

jared_kipe

the ONLY problem would be that it would be somewhat unfair to people who were not using a keyboard and a mouse. But if that mattered, whats the point of competition anyway.