Using Two Airport Express Base Stations

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by Spikey115, May 26, 2007.

1. macrumors member

Spikey115

I have a wireless network set up using an airport express. Both my iMac and MacBook connect to it wirelessly. I want to use a second airport express and put it in my livingroom so I can connect my stereo speakers and use AirTunes. If I configure the second express to join the current network, will I be able to use internet and airtunes at the same time from the same computer? In other words, can I use the two airport express base stations in just one network with both internet sharing and airtunes? Thanks.

2. macrumors 6502a

thewhitehart

I have exactly the same setup. One of the airport expresses will act as the router. You'll only connect to that one for web surfing, etc., while you'll connect to the other solely for the intention of playing music out of it, or printing from it.

If the music streaming express is far away from the main routing one, you can also set it up to extend the range of the express acting as the router.

To answer your question, yes, you can use the internet and play music from the living room express at the same time.

3. macrumors newbie

how would I do this myself? I have two airport express base stations. One upstairs connected to my dsl router and I can see the status of that one in the airport utility. I plugged the printer and speakers into another downstairs and plugged it in the wall but now I have a blinking orange light. I have no idea what my next step is. I have an iMac and two MacBooks that all share the connection. Thanks for the help.

4. macrumors newbie

Did you get a response to your question Richbeaudoin?
    I have got the same problem and wondered if there was a simple solution?

5. macrumors 68020

Connect the Express to your computer via Ethernet and set it up to join your existing wireless network.

6. macrumors newbie

Ethernet Extreme

Sort of defeats the purpose of trying to connect up two airport express devices if you have to use an ethernet cable.

Does this mean that you cannot use a second airport express (without a physical link) to join up with another?

7. macrumors 68020

If you're referring to my post, I was saying to use an Ethernet cable strictly for intial setup. Once you've made the proper configuration changes in AirPort Utility, then you can disconnect the Express and plug it in wherever it needs to be.