Using unlocked AT&T iPhone 5 on Verizon?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by x-evil-x, Feb 16, 2013.

1. macrumors 65816

I plan on switching carriers can i use my same phone on Verizon?

Apple said it was possible if its unlocked but I'm seeing different things online.

2. macrumors regular

Don't think so. I'm pretty sure the AT&T iPhone 5 doesn't have the CDMA radio or antennas that Verizon phones need.

3. macrumors 65816

Can't do it. Only on a GSM network, AT&T and T-Mobile in the US.

4. macrumors demi-god

The real problem is that Verizon will only allow their own phone on their network. They won't have anything to do with a GSM phone. :cool:

5. macrumors 68040

eastercat

This is one of the myriad of reasons I hate verizon. Ironically, you can use a verizon iphone 5 on at&t (without lte though).

6. macrumors Nehalem

Applejuiced

Whoever told you that you can use an AT&T iphone 5 on verizon was mistaken.
    Like others said verizon will never allow it to activate on their network unless its a verizon device.
    You could do it the other way a verizon i5 to AT&T but not in reverse like you're planning.

7. macrumors 68030

dictoresno

at&t iphone 5 = GSM only. it can be used on any GSM network worldwide (once unlocked) but NOT on any CDMA network

verizon iphone 5 = CDMA and GSM. it can be used ONLY on verizon, and then any other GSM network in the world (once unlocked)

basically, both the verizon and at&t phone are compatible with any GSM network, but only the verizon one can be used on verizon. if you switch to verizon from at&t, you will need to sell your current phone and buy a verizon one.