Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ckwongie

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 9, 2004
After sending my word document (office x) from my powerbook to my usb thumbdrive, I can't seem to transfer it to my win xp laptop from the usb drive. Can someone please tell me what the problem is? also, how do i turn off the powerbook startup sound?

ckwongie

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 9, 2004
nah the thumbdrive is formatted by winxp. I can see the file, just that i can't transfer it to winxp. Is it because windows doesn't recognize mac files?

Horrortaxi

macrumors 68020
Jul 6, 2003
Los Angeles
Do you have a switch on your drive that locks/unlocks it? Make sure the drive is unlocked or you won't be able to move files.

wrldwzrd89

macrumors G5
Jun 6, 2003
Solon, OH
ckwongie said:
After sending my word document (office x) from my powerbook to my usb thumbdrive, I can't seem to transfer it to my win xp laptop from the usb drive. Can someone please tell me what the problem is? also, how do i turn off the powerbook startup sound?
Does the file copy off the drive, but Windows won't open it? If that's the case, it needs a .doc extension before Windows XP will recognize it as a Word document. If the problem is that the file will not copy from the USB drive, what happens when you try to copy the file? Does nothing happen? Do you get an error message (if so, please let us know what the error was)? It's also quite possible that the file copied so quickly that Windows didn't need to display a progress bar, and Windows isn't giving you any feedback that it's there. If that's the case, open the destination folder if it isn't already open, then press the F5 key to force a refresh.

LethalWolfe

macrumors G3
Jan 11, 2002
Los Angeles
wrldwzrd89 said:
Does the file copy off the drive, but Windows won't open it? If that's the case, it needs a .doc extension before Windows XP will recognize it as a Word document.

I think that's the answer.

Lethal

7on

macrumors 601
Nov 9, 2003
Dress Rosa
irmongoose said:
Did you format the thumbdrive on the Powerbook? Windows can't read Mac-formatted drives. Macs can read Windows-formatted drives.

To turn of the startup sound, download TinkerTool System

irmongoose

Doesn't Tinkertool just mute the sound at shutdown and then unmute it at startup?

Personally I wouldn't mute it. It'd be like muting the BIOS beeps on a PC. The chime is there so you can diagnose a problem. Chime = Mac OK, No Chime = Mac not OK. Simple, but it does work. Just a suggestion.

Example: Mac won't boot. If you hear a chime, then it's probably some file corruption fixed with fsck -yf or something. If you don't hear the chime, something like the logic board crapped on itself rather than missing files.

ckwongie

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 9, 2004
well after transferring my word document to the thumbdrive, i notice 3 items inside when i open the thumbdrive in winxp:

1) my word document "con.doc"
2) a 2nd document "._con"
3) a folder ".Trashes"

I have no idea where the last two items come from. When i try to copy the first item onto my xp pc, i get an error msg saying "Cannot copy Con: cannot find the specified file. Make sure you specify the correct path and file name".

When I remove the thumbdrive from my mac, i used the eject button first. So it really shouldn't have a problem right? Maybe there's something wrong with the way i transfer the document in mac? I just drag and drop the file onto the thumbdrive, is there something else i have to do? Please help. Thank you :)

wrldwzrd89

macrumors G5
Jun 6, 2003
Solon, OH
ckwongie said:
well after transferring my word document to the thumbdrive, i notice 3 items inside when i open the thumbdrive in winxp:

1) my word document "con.doc"
2) a 2nd document "._con"
3) a folder ".Trashes"

I have no idea where the last two items come from. When i try to copy the first item onto my xp pc, i get an error msg saying "Cannot copy Con: cannot find the specified file. Make sure you specify the correct path and file name".

When I remove the thumbdrive from my mac, i used the eject button first. So it really shouldn't have a problem right? Maybe there's something wrong with the way i transfer the document in mac? I just drag and drop the file onto the thumbdrive, is there something else i have to do? Please help. Thank you :)
1) is the data part of the Word document.
2) probably the Word document's resource fork.
3) The trash folder for the thumbdrive (safe to delete)

Make sure the filename doesn't end with a space - Windows doesn't like trailing spaces and will give you error messages like the one you got. I'm referring to the filename being something like "con.doc " instead of "con.doc". Also, make sure the filename isn't the same as one of the Windows ports, like LPT. Windows doesn't like that either.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.