Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

NiklasK

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 18, 2008
Sweden
Would it be possible in some way to use a VPN router to be able to access Netflix on the new atv (since I live in Sweden) and still be able to reach my local itunes library on my iMac?

This would be ideal if it would work without having to turn VPN on/off and do all sort of things in between....

/Niklas

ibookster

macrumors member
Jan 28, 2004
Yup just set up vpn on your router. You need to flash it with dd-wrt if it supports it though.

dekka007

macrumors member
Jun 6, 2009
Interesting discovery I made today:

Connect your APPLE TV to US VPN via VPN Router or share your internet connection and connect the mac to StrongVPN or whatever.

Login to netflix on ATV2 select a movie start watching it. FOr me i cannot find a VPN fast enough without stutters and slow to buffer and pauses however wait until the movie starts playing through the VPN.

Disconnect the Ethernet cable from the VPN reconnect ATV2 to router without VPN.

You can now view Netflix movies without the VPN connected and therefore getting full streaming speed from your connection.

This seems to work until the Apple TV2 is disconnected from the network or the power is removed from the unit.

Will update with results later as GF has just started to watch a netflix movie on ATV2 not connected to VPN so far so good streaming perfectly.

It looks to me at the moment Netflix ATV2 application only checks the location on first login to netflix then does not check again prior to movie playback. So hopefully this will work aslong as you do not select logout on netflix menu.

Last edited:

zunairryk

macrumors regular
Mar 8, 2009
Vancouver, BC
Please do update. Im looking to buy apple tv and i will be using VPN since i have a US netflix account.

On the ipad once you start playing a movie, you can press the power button and wait a few seconds for the VPN to disconnect. After that, you can start playing the movie and it will work on your local wifi network. However, after the movie is finished/ you stop playing it, you will have to connect to VPN again, otherwise it will give you error message that netflix is not available at this location.

dekka007

macrumors member
Jun 6, 2009
Ok just quit the movie the GF was watching (Much to her annoyance :) ) pressed menu until back at the apple tv top menu.

Went back into Netflix selected another movie and it started playing fine without connecting the VPN again. So good news so far.

Update: Gave it a couple of hours with the Apple TV remaining on but not doing anything. Came back and Netflix still available without re-connecting to a VPN.

will give it 24hours or so leaving ATV2 running and see if can come back to netflix tomorrow without the VPN. Streaming is 100% perfect now bypassing the VPN to SE Asia.

VPN still buffers pauses and stutters and takes forever to start the movie.

UPDATE: 5 hours seems to have stopped working and need reconnect to the VPN :(

Last edited:

big samm

macrumors 68000
Oct 27, 2008
Ok just quit the movie the GF was watching (Much to her annoyance :) ) pressed menu until back at the apple tv top menu.

Went back into Netflix selected another movie and it started playing fine without connecting the VPN again. So good news so far.

Update: Gave it a couple of hours with the Apple TV remaining on but not doing anything. Came back and Netflix still available without re-connecting to a VPN.

will give it 24hours or so leaving ATV2 running and see if can come back to netflix tomorrow without the VPN. Streaming is 100% perfect now bypassing the VPN to SE Asia.

VPN still buffers pauses and stutters and takes forever to start the movie.

UPDATE: 5 hours seems to have stopped working and need reconnect to the VPN :(

Good find ... Thanks for sharing...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.