Using WiFi only on my iPhone 4?

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by jgmacrum, Jul 19, 2010.

1. macrumors member

Oct 27, 2009
    Headed up north to canada for a few days, and would like to avoid any surprises when it comes to my bill. I keep "enable data roaming" off as a matter of course, so that's already done. It looks like if I also disable "enable cellular data" that I should be ok (right?) but to be paranoid is there a way to essentially turn the device into a wifi only device (ie "airplane mode" + wifi)?

It looks like my best bet would be to disable 3G, data roaming & cellular data - if I do those three will there be any way that I could get extra charges while I'm there?
  2. macrumors 68020

Sep 12, 2009
    Dataroaming turned off should be enough. Turning off all mobile data is for when you don't want to use data, even though you are in your own country.

You can, by the way, also use WiFi when you have airplane mode turned on.
  3. Moderator

Staff Member

Apr 2, 2008
    Yeap, turning on Airplane Mode would stop all data charges for you. However you will not be able to receive any calls or texts.
  4. macrumors regular

Jul 15, 2009
    I think thats all you need. And get at&t canada to avoid high costs
  5. macrumors 68040

Apr 13, 2009
    New Jersey

You can just put this in Airplane Mode it shuts off all communications
  6. macrumors 6502

Aug 5, 2008
    Washington, DC
    To clarify: You can put the phone in Airplane Mode and then enable Wifi. All cell calling/data functions are disabled, but you still can have wifi.

This is what I do when I travel and want to be sure.
  7. thread starter macrumors member

Oct 27, 2009
    Ah, I thought that airplane mode turned off wifi as well. That's what I want then, I don't mind not getting calls/texts. Thanks.
  8. macrumors regular

Jan 1, 2009
    Turning on airplane mode does turn off wifi, but you can go back into settings and turn it back on. This way you'll be in Airplane and Wi-Fi mode.
  9. macrumors 604

Jan 14, 2005
    visiting from downstream
    So, just to be clear (I am going to Victoria for a couple of days next week):

Airplane Mode ON + WiFi ON = WiFi capability + no phone/SMS capability (which means NO data or phone charges related to roaming)

Basically, Airplane Mode ON + WiFi ON means your iPhone is now essentially an iPod Touch. Correct? I'd rather not have to extract my SIM card and I don't want to have to leave my phone behind when I go to Victoria.
  10. macrumors 65816

Jul 12, 2010
    Yep correct