Using Windows Explorer to do work on my iBook's file system

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by Jalexster, Aug 17, 2004.

1. Jalexster macrumors 6502a

I am in the habit of using my WindowsXP computer (patched, firewalled, Spybot'd, etc...) to do file management on my iBook over my network. As weird as it may seem, I feel that Windows Explorer is much more flexable and easier to use for arranging files than the Finder. Things like being able to select a bunch of files and quickly send them to wherever I like on the file tree is really useful.

Does this seem wrong? It's just the Finder seems a bit too... simple.

2. yellow Moderator emeritus

yellow

Then you might want to take a look at Path Finder.

I think a lot of it depends on how your "wrok-flow" was reared. Mac or PC based.

3. MisterMe macrumors G4

MisterMe

My MacOS X 10.3.5 Finder can do what you seem to think can only be done in Windows. Perhaps, flexable is a real word in your language that I just don't understand.

4. Jalexster thread starter macrumors 6502a

What about being able to highlight any file, and send it to ANY folder or drive by just clicking an option onscreen, or right-clicking the file(s)?

5. Brother Michael macrumors 6502a

Brother Michael

Right clicking? What's that?

Seriously, just grab a two button USB mouse.

As for dragging files around you can do that in Finder. You can even right click and hit copy and then paste them somewhere else. I suppose "command + x" would also cut the files and move them that way.

Mike

6. MisterMe macrumors G4

MisterMe

You seem to like doing a lot of work to accomplish simple tasks.

7. jhu macrumors 6502a

jhu

yes, cli is the only way to interact with a computer. i'm using lynx.

8. ½win½lin macrumors member

½win½lin

Not here (10.3.5) - 'cut' is grey out on the Edit menu :(

I would also very much like to know the answer to this one (cutting and pasting files in Finder).

On a laptop it is much easier to cut and paste (or send to, or whatever) than dragging and dropping between two windows owing to touchpad cack handedness.

9. Jalexster thread starter macrumors 6502a

In Windows Explorer, if you right-click a file and point to the Send To submenu, you can send it to any drive you like, plus you can send it as an attachment automticaly, etc... Works on multiple files. On Mac OS X, you have to clutter the Sidebar with all the drives you have.

If you click a file and then click "Copy this file" in the assistance pane on the left of the window, you can point to any folder on the file tree and send it there. Also works with multiple files at once. You can also select "Move this file". This was also avalible in the context-menu in earlier version of Windows by getting a PowerToy off Microsoft's website.

I know there is a equvilent to right-clicking on Mac OS X, I'm just saying that the Finder's context menu isn't very useful.

And if you say that I could just move a file to a folder quickly by dragging it to the sidebar, I don't exactly want to add a whole bunch of different folders to the sidebar.

10. Jalexster thread starter macrumors 6502a

To do what I can do in Windows Explorer, using the Finder in Mac OS X, I need to select some files, copy them to the clipboard, navigate to where I want them to go, paste them down, and then hit the back button a number of times to go back to the folder I was in. In Windows Explorer, I just select the files I want to copy/move, click an option onscreen, select the correct directory from a branch-tree, and press enter.

It's easier in Windows.

Mac OS X is a great OS, and Macs are the best computers, it's just the Finder sucks.

11. MisterMe macrumors G4

MisterMe

What you have done is to elevate a familiar procedure on Windows to a moral cause. Just because you are unable or unwilling to learn an equally or more efficient way to accomplish a similar task on the Mac doesn't mean that none exists.

12. gekko513 macrumors 603

gekko513

Ever think of putting two finder windows next to each other?

13. Jalexster thread starter macrumors 6502a

What if I need to various groups of files to around 16 folders? Open 17 finder windows? Stick 16 folders in my sidebar, which I will be removing when I am done?

14. Jalexster thread starter macrumors 6502a

I'm willing and able to learn. Anything to get me further away from Windows computers. However, until someone can tell me a way of doing what I can do quickly and easily in Windows Explorer, with the same level of ease and quickness on Mac OS X, that won't cost me anymore money, I'll keep using Windows Explorer.

I don't mean to offend anyone by all this.

15. gekko513 macrumors 603

gekko513

When doing it on windows you need to select a group, right click, select menu option, navigate to correct destination, select. All this 16 times, right?

With two finder windows, you need to navigate to correct destination, select a group, drag and drop. All 16 times.

It's the same amount of work, just in a different order.

16. Jalexster thread starter macrumors 6502a

It's possible to do it quite fast on Windows. You have to try it to see what I mean. And the right-clicking was to send it to a drive. You just click Copy this/these file/files in the panel on the left of the window.

17. gekko513 macrumors 603

gekko513

Hm ... that is kind of nice. I've never used that function because I always have the folder window there and use drag and drop instead. The Copy these Files option is also available in the main menu, but that requires a click a move and another click which adds up.

So let's run through this. I've downloaded 20 files to a general download folder and I want to organize them. 10 of these files are images that I want to put in 4 different image category folders. 5 are "personal images" that I keep in a totally different location. 3 are word documents from work and 2 are game demos.

Windows:
    double-click WE
    click (My Documents)
    click (Download)
    repeat 7 times
    . select operation (of your own choice)
    . click (Copy these Files)
    . click (folder 1)
    . scroll
    . click (folder 2)
    . click (folder 3)
    . click (OK)
    end

total:
    7 selects
    38 clicks (approximately)
    7 scrolls (approximately)

Finder
    click (Finder)
    click (Desktop (downloads usually go to the desktop))
    apple-N (New Finder)
    drag (position window)
    click (Images)

repeat 4 times (images go in subfolders of the same folder)
    . select
    . drag (to correct folder)
    end

repeat 3 times (these files go in folders who are not close)
    . click (folder in 2nd window)
    . click (folder 2)
    . scroll
    . click (folder 3)
    . select
    . drag
    end

total:
    7 selects
    12 clicks
    8 drags
    3 scrolls
    1 shortcut

So Windows Explorer totals 52 operations
    Finder totals 31 operations

However a drag could count as up to 3 operations because it's more complicated in which case Finder totals 47 operations.

So I'm not convinced that the Windows Explorer is more efficient. I think it's more a matter of preference and of habit.

18. Jalexster thread starter macrumors 6502a

I find Windows easier. Each to his own I suppose. And my Windows computers are nice and secure. No problems with them.

19. yellow Moderator emeritus

yellow

Teehee!! Thanks! I needed a good laugh this morning!
    [wipes tears from eyes]

20. 7on macrumors 601

7on

How about this? Going into this windowed mode and opening up your folders and dragging to a specific place? For the send to drive you can always have your drives show up on the desktop and just drag it there.

Also you might want to highlight a file and check out the "Services" menu item under the app's name in the menu bar. Lots of nifty items like Mail's Send File command.

Attached Files:

21. bousozoku Moderator emeritus

There are times when Finder is a pain. When it is, I open the Terminal application and move everything with a few commands, or maybe even a script to get it exactly right when there are large numbers of files.

I have two suggestions:

1) Try Column mode in a Finder window. It's pretty flexible and you can adjust it to be able to see quite a few folders deep. You can use two windows for more complex operations.

2) There is some shareware called Macintosh Explorer, which I believe, was meant to copy the functionality of Windows Explorer.

Attached Files:

22. Jalexster thread starter macrumors 6502a

1) I know about column mode. I use it as often as possible, and I find it useful, and functional for basic file management. I still prefer Windows Explorer for heavy file-management.

2) I looked at a program like that for Mac OS X. Didn't seem too good...

Also, I would open more windows, but you can't really do much on a 1024x768 iBook screen.

23. Jalexster thread starter macrumors 6502a

They are secure. Two spyware removal programs (Spybot and Spyware Doctor), neither find anything. One continiously scans the computer as I use it (Spyware Doctor). Tracking cookies are auto-removed (Spyware Doctor), ActiveX plugins, etc.. are not allowed to function until I give them the all clear through Spyware Doctor. I have two hardware inbound firewalls (A NetComm NB1300 ADSL Modem and a D-Link DI-624. Both set as routers, so everything is also double-routed), and one Software inbound/outbound firewall (ZoneAlarm Pro), that checks if an executable file has changed when it tries to connect to the internet, to prevent a program spoofing as a different program)

I don't use P2P programs, or any of those stupid obviously spyware filled programs (such as DAP), Firefox is my default browser, I only use Web-based Hotmail to check my e-Mail. No Outlook/Express for me. Everything through Firefox. Norton AntiVirus 2004 for AntiVirus scanning, all-auto.

Service Pack 2 won't be installed any time soon on these computers.
    They also have a bunch of hacks from GRC.com to disable things like Raw sockets, and a few other vunerabilites.

All in All. Very secure. Never even had a single virus.

Oh, and by the way, did you all know that GameSpy Arcade contains adware?

24. beg_ne macrumors 6502

Exactly what kind of file management are you doing? I've never come across anything that the sidebar, column view and spring loaded folders couldn't handle.

25. SiliconAddict macrumors 603

SiliconAddict

OR

If you are a power user you will know how to spin around the OS using:
    [​IMG]
    Along with your alt [right key] and [left key] or just use the mouse back and forward buttons. Along with the control shift and tab keys. I can guarantee you that next to a person using finder I can FLY through Windows like a bat out of hell. Sorry folks but finder may be a good concept but it’s slow as hell in reality.
    That is why I the first thing after getting a Mac I will be purchasing the same day:
    Mac Explorer

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Finder is NOT an option.