Using Xbox Live with AirPort

Discussion in 'Games' started by pgc6000, Dec 28, 2004.

1. pgc6000 macrumors 6502a

I recently got an Xbox, Halo 2, and a 12 month subscription to Xbox Live. But I need help using Xbox Live. Is there anyway to connect Xbox Live to the AirPort so I can play it wirelessly? Thanks in advance.

2. Gee macrumors 65816

If you get two airport express boxes, and use one as a basestation (assuming you don't already have a basestation), you can use the other one to connect the xbox to the net wirelessly. I have this setup with my playstation, and it was quite straightforward to set up.

Cheers.

3. AnewMac macrumors regular

Also intersested

I am in the same quandry. I want to play my in my living room and there is no phone line in there. Unless my wife agrees to let me string an ethernet cable it looks like I am stuck until one you geniouses shows me the light! Thanks also

4. Gee macrumors 65816

Yeh, cool. To follow from my post above, what you guys need is a wireless bridge - a wireless box that will bridge the gap between your xbox and your main wireless basestation (assuming you already have a wireless network set up). Linksys, d-link, et al. make these for around $50 or so, and the airport express will also function as one.

5. shortyjj macrumors regular

Question about bridging: I've got the Airport Express hooked to the stereo, but it won't bridge wirelessly to my Linksys router, and I'd rather not waste money on a 20-ft. cable. Any suggestions?

6. pgc6000 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Thanks guys. Now I have another question. I want to have some friends come over and all of us connect to Xbox Live for some Halo 2. Now of course I am using the my gamertag with all of them, but it will not let them join most of the game types as Guests. Is there anyway to allow them to play without being guest but not having to subscribe to Xbox Live? Also, do I have to use my same gamertag name all the time? My brother will probaly be playing one of his games on my Xbox overlive and I'd prefer it if he didn't use my gamertag. Thanks in advance, again.

7. rccola70 macrumors regular

Yeah they can be guests off of your account. Just have them sign in as a gues in the sign in screen.

8. Artful Dodger macrumors 68020

Artful Dodger

I have my dsl modem going into a linksys switch then one cable runs to my AE and the other goes to my XBOX for live play. Total setup time was 5 mins. and I'm not wireless/wired savy. :eek:
    Everything runs great :D

9. pgc6000 thread starter macrumors 6502a

I see. I'll try that next time they come over. Thanks!

10. scb macrumors newbie

Hi, I have a non-Airport wireless network set up using a Netgear DG834G and my Airport Express sits by my TV and streams music from my iMac via Airtunes. As the AX is right next to my Xbox I'd like to be able to plug my xbox into the AX and connect it to the Netgear network - is this possible?

There seems to be a lot of debate around on various sites as to whether you can actually get the AX to act as a wireless bridge with an xbox on a non-Aiport network... some claim to have got it working even though Apple officially say it doesn't :rolleyes:

Any help/suggestions/clarification welcome! Please!

Thanks

11. jsw Moderator emeritus

jsw

I don't know if this helps at all, but if you check my post in this thread, I've written detailed instructions on how to use an AirPort Express as a wireless bridge with a Linksys WRT54G. With luck, some of that might help you.

12. haiggy macrumors 65816

XBox Live seems to be pretty hard to do this with. If you search google for something like "XBox Live with iBook" and stuff you will find many other forums with the same topics. These helped me out a bit, but I could still not get my DNS correct when connecting. I thought when connecting to Live in the Internet Settings area it would mean internet is being sent to the XBox but I was wrong. All I had to do was plug it in, share the internet and I can play on XBox connect easily without doing anything with IP numbers or anything.

Apparently with Live you shouldn't have to change the IP numbers anyways -- everything should be automatic.

13. Ozzpot macrumors newbie

Hey! Long-time Mac Addict but first-time poster here.

Sorry to be a pain, but I have been reading this thread and other similar ones for advice, and just want to clarify that my findings are correct.

I have an iBook with a (Wired) 1mb/sec broadband connection through an Xbridge DSL modem that I got from Apple and BT Yahoo Broadband (British ISP).

I play a lot of Xbox games, and would like to get into Xbox live. I have no experience of networking at all, but have decided to take the opportunity to set up everything wirelessly. Am I right in thinking that I need to get:

• An Airport Extreme BaseStation
    • An Airport Extreme Card (For wireless internet on my iBook)
    • An Airport Express Thingummy
    • An Xbox Live Starter Kit

Does this Airport express thing have a good enough data transfer rate? Is there anything else I need? Forgive me for asking dumb questions, but I figure this will be expensive, so I wanna get it right and I know next to nothing about all this 802.11b/g speak.

Thanks in advance for your help! :)

14. crazzyeddie macrumors 68030

crazzyeddie

802.11g (and 802.11b actually) will be faster than any home internet connection, and even a T1 line.

15. hulugu macrumors 68000

hulugu

You can get two AP Express boxes instead, which is cheaper and allows you to stream music and print wirelessly. The card is only necessary for your iBook, although that is always nice too with AirTunes, etc.
    The data rate, as someone else mentioned, for 802.11b (which are just arcane sounding names for wireless and the different versions) is more than the data coming in and out via your internet connection. And 802.11g is about 5 times as fast.

16. Gee macrumors 65816

And further to the post of the chap above, that also assumes that your current modem is an ethernet modem (i.e. plugs into the ethernet port), not a USB modem, which is what comes with most broadband packages in the UK. If it is a USB modem, and you need to buy an ethernet one, I can recommend the Zoom X3 - quite cheap and mine's been reliable.

So basically, you need - 1x ethernet modem, 1x airport card, 2x airport express, 1x xbox live starter kit.

Assuming everything goes to plan, it should take you about 10 mins to set it all up and get our xbox online...

17. Ozzpot macrumors newbie

Thanks fellas, you've been an enormous help. Gee: BT Broadband did originally provide me with a USB DSL modem, but it was such a horrible, horrible, headache inducing, kernel-panic invoking monstrosity that I ditched it in favour of an Ethernet one (Xbridge DSL) about a year ago. Actually, I bought it from the Apple Store at the same time as my iBook, and the salesman bloke let me have it for free!!!! 70 quids worth!

Anyway, it's good to know that I can get two Airport Expresses instead of one of them and an Extreme BaseStation. BTW, what is the benefit of the latter-mentioned product then? Just the built-in modem?

Thanks again! :)

18. 1macker1 macrumors 65816

1macker1

All you need is a Wireless Router for your computer, and get MS wireless adapter for your xbox($79.00).

19. Gee macrumors 65816

Yeh, the built in modem (although I have one that doesn't have this; think these have been discountinued), support for up to 50 users rather than 10 (not much use in a home environment), and probably the only useful thing: an additional ethernet port - this allows you to add an additional, wired device to the network, which you can't do with a single express where the modem would use the ethernet port. I use the extra port on my basestation for a second playstation ;-)

20. Ozzpot macrumors newbie

Sorry guys, one more thing:

I'm gonna order all this stuff, but I need to know if the ethernet cables that connect...
    • My Xbox to it's Airport Express BaseStation
    • My Modem to it's Airport Express BaseStation
    ...should be crossover or straight through. :confused:

21. 1macker1 macrumors 65816

1macker1

straight cable

22. jsw Moderator emeritus

jsw

First one - assuming the AE is used as a bridge - is definitely straight-through (i.e., typical cable).

I assume the other one is as well (it is with my modem) since they're (modems) normally made to allow you to connect a computer to them directly, so they'd use normal cables presumably, not cross-overs.

23. zelmo macrumors 603

zelmo

I have a question about adding both a PS2 and Xbox to my Airport n/w:

Current set-up: cable modem>AE Base Station, with a Mac plugged into the ethernet port.

I have a PS2 (w/network adapter) and Xbox across the room, and don't want to run any cable around the room. I'd need a hub for that, anyway, so the cable modem could run into the AEBS, the hub would then plug into the AEBS e/net, and the Mac, PS2, and Xbox would plug into hub. Too many cables.

I need a wireless hub that can patch into the Airport network, and which has (at least) two ethernet ports I can plug the consoles into.

1- any suggestions for such a box?
    2- will this even work?

24. Gee macrumors 65816

1. Short of suggesting two airport expresses, no, sorry...
    2. Yes, it will. this is analogous to the setup I have, and it will, so go for it! See you online...!

25. jsw Moderator emeritus

jsw

Buy an AirPort Express, set it up as a bridge. Then buy a really cheap router/switch/hub.