USPS Mail May Be Cut to 5 Days - Price of stamps up 2 cents.

Discussion in 'Current Events' started by Unspeaked, Jan 28, 2009.

1. macrumors 68020

Unspeaked

LINK

2. macrumors Core

makes sense to cut out a day really. i don't see any need to hold onto a six day delivery schedule any longer with email becoming more and more ubiquitous.

that said... i do not see the benefit of cutting out a day besides saturday simply for logistic purposes. talk about confusion...

3. Moderator emeritus

EricNau

Tuesday? I suppose it's logical not to skip two consecutive days, but at the same time it would seem very odd not to receive mail on a weekday.

Can't say it would affect me much either way.

4. macrumors P6

iJohnHenry

I agree, Tuesday??

"We" have been without Saturday delivery since (insert date here). (Don't remember.)

I don't perceive anything Earth-shattering to result if you give the letter carriers the week-end off. But Tuesdays would blow chunks, IMHO.

5. macrumors G5

ucfgrad93

Cutting back Saturday delivery wouldn't be too bad.

6. macrumors 68000

GSMiller

They already get off practically every other Monday for a federal holiday, isn't that enough?

If they do this I will stop buying from merchants who ship their goods through USPS.

7. macrumors Core

really? one day matters that much?
    /bewildered.

8. macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

I need my Saturday delivery of Priority Mail. It's the biggest reason I pick the USPS over others.

9. macrumors 68000

GSMiller

Why pay more for a service that's slower?

10. macrumors Penryn

rdowns

Cutting out Saturday delivery probably wouldn't save them that much since they don't deliver to offices on Saturday. With less traffic, they likely deliver much more quickly on Saturday. Cutting out a day during the week would save them a lot more.

Tuesday wouldn't work because of 3 day weekends (that would mean businesses wouldn't get delivery for 4 days). Give them hump day off.

11. macrumors Core

they deliver to our office on saturday??

perhaps mondays would be the best. who knows. but i certainly see no reason to hold onto a six day delivery schedule.

i understand the desire for weekend delivery for some people. but UPS does offer it i know. and as for pricing afaik USPS is far cheaper with their flat rate shipping than UPS or FedEx any day.

12. macrumors P6

iJohnHenry

Mondays sounds like a good solution. Give them a 2-day week-end, and, in case of stat Monday holidays, they could schedule the make-up day so as not to interrupt normal deliveries.

13. macrumors 68030

Gray-Wolf

They don't realize that every time they slap the american people in the face like this, we tend to take our business else where. Paying bills on line rather than mail ing it in and such.

How about cutting benefits to the carriers. Getting 6-7 weeks vacation a year is a bit much.

14. macrumors 65816

hayduke

Once a week would be fine. Anything that needs to go faster or on a special day would incur an overage fee. All I get most days is junk mail. I love the intertubes...

15. macrumors P6

iJohnHenry

So, you would be willing to work 6 days a week, assuming that you don't already.

16. thread starter macrumors 68020

Unspeaked

I'm sure many MacRumors members work at places that are open 7 days a week, but that doesn't mean they work 7 days a week.

I'm sure the vast majority of US Postal workers do 5 day weeks.

17. macrumors 6502

Oh no!!! I'll have to wait out a whole weekend for my junk mail, misc ads for stuff I'd never buy and bills. Whatever will I do????:confused:

18. Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

In some ways, I would actually prefer if they did cut out a day other than Saturday, if they had to cut. Right now, they're one of the major options to receive things like packages on Saturday, and Saturday is the only day I'm even remotely likely to be home when the mail comes.

The postal service is great, and I support them in wanting to get their budget balanced. I'd prefer if they could keep six days, though. We'll see....

19. macrumors Core

iBlue

Tuesday. LOL!

In seriousness, it can't be that big of a deal to have a postal delivery day cut out, right?

20. macrumors 6502a

Scooterman1

Can't Balance The Budget...... Get Someone Who Can

If he can't manage what he was hired to do, then get someone who can. It's been done in the past. The rest of the corporate world does it all of the time. I'm a retired Postal Worker. He also asked that Congress allow them to change the Postal Services sharing formula for Retired Health Benefits. Work for a company for 38 years, and then they want to tell you that what we promised, we no longer want to do. They want to take the best of the quasi-government that suits them, and ignore the ones that don't.

They don't get 6-7 weeks vacation per year. The most they can get after 15 yrs employment, is 26 days, or 8 hrs. per 80 hour pay period. And it takes 15 years to build up to that.

21. macrumors 68040

tobefirst

One of the main things keeping the post office alive is all the bulk mail. I'd sure like to see that one less day a week, but I'd really rather opt out of it altogether. Too bad there is no way to do that.

As it is, I see no problem with cutting delivery days to 5 days...except that would likely mean thousands of more jobs lost. ):

22. macrumors 65816

Mousse

This is a real boon to us debt dodgers with our traditional battle cry, "The check is in the mail.":D:D:p:eek:

23. thread starter macrumors 68020

Unspeaked

Somewhat ironically, Netflix announced yesterday that they were going to start shipping out DVDs on Saturdays (up until now, they've only shipped out M-F) to help get discs to customers faster.

Now they come to find out they might not be able to - or lose a weekday instead and be back to 5 shipping days.

24. macrumors 6502a

Rt&Dzine

More? It's usually less.

25. macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

For those who are interested in the history of these things, the US Post Office delivered mail twice daily until 1950. The same was true in the UK until quite recently I believe, but it seems the Post Office in Britain is also now talking about eliminating Saturday service. The volume of paper mail has dropped so substantially, it's virtually inevitable.