UT 2003 is coming!

Discussion in 'Games' started by Dont Hurt Me, Mar 14, 2003.

1. Dont Hurt Me macrumors 603

Dont Hurt Me

Inside mac gaming is now taking preorders for UT 2003 for the Mac, This means it is almost here. also the macsoft site is supposed to be up and running next week and they are the ones who will distribute this long awaited sequel to UT. More info at www.insidemacgames.com. This game, doom3, and halo will make my year as far as mac games go.

2. mangoman macrumors 6502a

mangoman

Bring on the knowledge, gang. I'm a die-hard ol' school Unreal Tourney player, and I'll shell out some wacky cash for UT2K3 if it's the continuation of the classic: run, shoot, kill (repeat).

Again, post what you know! And thanks!

3. cc bcc macrumors 6502

I play UT all the time. I've played UT2003 on the PC (at work..) in mltiplayer games for about 3 weeks with 3 other coworkers. (lunchbreak, what else to do?)
    I erased it, and for me it's Q3 at work again and UT at home.

UT2003 looks very nice, but it just doesn't feel like action. It doesn't get my adrenaline pumping. A flag blast doesn't feel powerful, same with the rockets. Double dodging is nice though. (you can dodge and jump twice to get further/higher)
    There is almost no light coming of the shock gun, so shock combo's are difficult to aim (in UT you can follow the light on the floor). Ultrakill just isn't what it used to be. Player skins are very much like Q3, big robot exoskeleton.

So, download a demo before buying to find out if you like it.

I also completed Unreal 2 The Awakening in just 2 evenings of playing, a quarter of that time I spend waiting for loading.. On my athlon 1200 at home, with GeForce 2, I had to go down to 640x480 and every option low to make it playable.

The quality standards for the unreal team is quite low these days, i'm disappointed.

4. bousozoku Moderator emeritus

Completed Unreal 2? Oh geez.

I never did much with the original Unreal so I'm not sure whether I'll buy the new one or not, but you've just pushed me toward not buying it.

UT2003 is on my list, as is NeverWinter Nights.

5. mangoman macrumors 6502a

mangoman

Ah, yeah, the Awakening. Heard that sucks buttjuice....

6. cc bcc macrumors 6502

What a meant was that it's a lot of money for just 2 evenings of fun..

Unreal 1, Quake 1 and 2 and Halflife took me much longer to complete. Much bigger stories. In Unreal 2 I thought the collection of artifacts was just the beginning, until the titles came on the screen beep beep beep.. And I was like uhhhh :rolleyes: Is that all? :confused:

7. Dont Hurt Me thread starter macrumors 603

Dont Hurt Me

Well if UT 2003 is better then UT then i will be more then satisfied. If i had a dollar for everytime i played the UT demo alone i would be a millionaire. UT2003 is better then UT isnt it?

8. cc bcc macrumors 6502

UT2003 only looks better than UT.
    Apart from that, I think UT is much better than UT2003.

9. scem0 macrumors 604

scem0

Why play UT when you can play StarCraft? Hehe, I know, it is old
    but it is still the most fun game out there. And there is a mac OS
    X version.

UT is fun, this will be a big seller to mac users.

10. mangoman macrumors 6502a

mangoman

Old, yes, and totally off topic from the bloodbath and violence of UT. I have Starcraft. It's cute, but it ain't no UT, brother.

:rolleyes:

11. Dont Hurt Me thread starter macrumors 603

Dont Hurt Me

Even if ut 2003 is just a prettier UT thats runs native osX i will be thrilled. Nothing like Hearing GGGODLIKE!

12. bousozoku Moderator emeritus

StarCraft? What's that?

I can't say that I've ever seen anyone playing that, but that doesn't mean much. :D

Along with the violence-ridden UT, I like Sonic and Rayman. :D

Dont Hurt me: You've got that right!

13. cc bcc macrumors 6502

I think you guys expect to much. You'll find out that they don't use that voice anymore. It's more like the voice of a sports reporter, or radio DJ. Pretty lame!
    You do get much more different taunts and voices, some of which are pretty cool.
    Too bad they dropped the voice that says ULTRAKILLL.. It more like ".ultrakill.", as if nothing special happened.

Apart from graphics, UT classic is by far superiour. Try a demo first! And thank me later ;)

Dont shoot the messenger!

14. Dont Hurt Me thread starter macrumors 603

Dont Hurt Me

That voice was terrific in the first to bad they dont use it again. You wonder what these guys are thinking when they do things sometimes. I allways thought that voice was Worf from Star trek the next generation.

15. scem0 macrumors 604

scem0

The amazing thing about SC is that it came out (As a beta) in
    1996 and was officially released in 1997, and it is still going
    strong. Lots of people play it, a lot less since WCIII came out,
    but it is still a great game. I have WCIII but I play SC instead.
    More strategy in SC.

16. bousozoku Moderator emeritus

I'm certainly going to buy it anyway and I'll thank you now. :) I think that the voice appealed to my American side, along with the violence. :D

I'm just hoping that they've done their work performance-wise. I'd hate to think that it will only run on the latest hardware when id Software is able to do so much more.

17. mangoman macrumors 6502a

mangoman

Uhh, scem0, we were, um, talkin' about UT here, amigo. StarCrap is food for a different thread. Nothing personal, I hope.

Anyway, where were we?

Oh, yeah...

Holy Deck 16 Gone Wrong, Batman! They got rid of *the* voice? What a huge friggin' mistake that was. I'm already agreeing with you guys about checking out a demo first.

It's gonna have to be a real suck fest for me not to buy it, though. I'm way too deep into my UT addiction to blow ANY version of this game off quickly...

18. Stelliform macrumors 68000

Stelliform

I love UT, and I have played the demo of UT 2003. My problem is that I really like the Mods. The cool maps and Jailbreak. But since I went to Mac, the OS X version isn't great. (Although I am glad that they released it.) So, I am going to buy UT 2003, but it isn't going to be as great as UT. At least until all of the mods come out.....

19. cc bcc macrumors 6502

Well, that voice definately appealed to my dutch mellow side too! It's so phat, too bad it's gone.

Maybe if we complain enough we'll get a mod?
    But how nice would it be if we could use the new engine in the old UT!

20. cc bcc macrumors 6502

Now that's the spirit! :D

Disclaimer: I'm not trying you to keep from buying, I was just disapointed because I expected to much. It's still better than most games out there, but UT is so brilliant, it's hard to equal that again.

21. mangoman macrumors 6502a

mangoman

Maybe you'll remember this:

I can't find this anymore on the web, but, there WAS a voice mod out there that replaced the voice for "Headshot". The mod was some hillbilly that yelled, "Crotch Shot!" instead.

Hilarious.

Oh, and while I'm already suckin' up space, does anyone remember the map called "Biosphere"? If you have it, I'd love to get a copy again. It was the most disturbing, freaky, whacked map I've ever seen in ANY game. Really.

Over and out.

22. cc bcc macrumors 6502

Isn't Biosphere a league assault map? Just connect to a custom map assault server and it'll download.

23. mangoman macrumors 6502a

mangoman

Shoot (pardon the pun), I might have the wrong title. The one I'm thinking of was this huge Bio-dome structure, with walkways on the outer rings, and the interior was filled with mosquitos and gremlins, and weak dinosaurs... AND these badass Warlord creatures that, if struck, would hunt you down until they killed you. It was simply incredible. Or, shall we say, Unreal.

24. mangoman macrumors 6502a

mangoman

More importantly, has anyone here preordered? Just curious if they gave you a ship date when you did...