UT 2004 Installation Issue

Discussion in 'Games' started by msharp, Oct 7, 2004.

1. msharp macrumors regular

msharp

I've bought a UT2004 DVD, but i kept geting the message: "Read Failure on Unreal Tournament 2004 Installer.app/Textures.tar.gz" when the installer copying files to my machine. after this message, the installer quits. why is that?

it there anyone can help??

2. Nermal Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

It sounds like your DVD might be damaged :(

Try copying the installer to your hard drive, and run it from there.

3. telecomm macrumors 65816

telecomm

I don't have the full version so I'm not sure whether this is the cause of your problems, but in the case of the demo there's a problem installing if you've got an isight connected. Disconnecting your isight (if indeed you've got one) while trying to install may help.

4. WhiteSavage macrumors regular

WhiteSavage

Ouch. Yeah, dont worry, this happens to the best of us... if it still doesn't work (After what Nermal said), then take the game back to the store or send the Game back to the company with a letter saying the DVD was damaged when you bought it.

Sometimes they send you an extra cool gift just for the trouble they caused you :D:D:D:D.

5. bigdz68 macrumors member

IS THERE any way to play the game without having the disk in? I normally like to play my own jams while playin but not all of them are downloads so I need the CD drive...any suggestions?

6. ijimk macrumors 6502a

ijimk

not that i know of. I think the mac version requires you to have the dvd in cpu while our PC linux conter parts don't have to do this. I really dont know why it is like this.

7. WhiteSavage macrumors regular

WhiteSavage

lol, of course there's a way to play without the disk in. You forget, your on a Mac. Your better then your Windows counterparts. You can make a simple disk Image :). Now I forgot the program you use to make it :( :confused:
    but I THINK its called Drive 10 or something like that. Maybe someone else knows? I know it works cuz my friends use disk images and I do too, for ALL my games. Just, when I updated my Mac that program stopped working and... I threw it away :eek: :(

8. WhiteSavage macrumors regular

WhiteSavage

What games do you have to use the CD for that Windows users dont?

9. Nermal Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

I believe with UT2003, once MacSoft had made 'enough' money, the next patch no longer required the CD in the drive. I don't own 2003 so I can't confirm this, but if it's true, 2004 will probably work the same way.

10. comictimes macrumors 6502a

comictimes

Toast works... unfortunately a disk image of the UT2k4 DVD will be several gigabytes... but if you have the hard drive space, go for it.

oh, and btw- would you send your DVD back to Macsoft or Atari? Because both names are prominent on the box, and my DVD has the same problem...