UT 2004 Mac to PC Connection

Discussion in 'Games' started by pwilson, Nov 12, 2005.

1. pwilson macrumors newbie

Hello,
    I have a Mac and my friend next door has a PC. We both have UT 2004. Is it possible to connect them both together via ethernet and play each other. If so would it be a straight connection or would I have to use a 'crossover' cable? I have the Cat 5 cable, connectors, and crimper and could do it myself. Also the distance is about 250 ft. and I do not think this will be a problem. If anyone could give me some info on how to accomplish this it would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.
    pw

2. satans_banjo macrumors regular

i don't see why not. do you have a router? and what kind?

3. javabear90 macrumors 6502a

javabear90

i know the two platforms are compatible. I don't think you need a crossover cable with some of the newer computers, however I am not positive. A router would defiantly work though.
    -Ted

4. pwilson thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks!

Thanks for the reply. Yes I have a router and was going to try without it first. If that doesn't work I'll try with it. My buddy doesn't actually have UT 04 yet. The place that he ordered it from can't seem to get their s#*t together. He is supposed to recieve it in the next couple of weeks though. (It's been 7 weeks since he ordered it). We both have capable machines. Thank you again.

5. satans_banjo macrumors regular

try it with the router first. it's always easier that way because the router would network the two computers very well. now you'll have to decide whose router to use, or you could just connect the two routers. here's what i'd do:

Mac----Your Router------------------------------------Their Router----PC

the '---' are ethernet cables of some description. happy gaming!

6. mattmack macrumors 6502a

mattmack

Yeah and with that setup one of the computers doesn't have to waste time acting as the router Like with a crossover cable. I would eliminate one router for ease of configuration, but its a personal preference thing :)

7. allindubuc macrumors newbie

UT04 on MAC & PC

I'm running UT04 on my Windows XP PC, usually as a dedicated server. My friends log into the server over my cable modem connection and I log in on my LAN connection from my MAC. There are no issues with PC & MAC playing together, works just fine. If you try this don't forget to forward TCP & UDP ports 7777 to the server machine, dedicated or not. This applies to the firewall on the server machine and if you are using a broadband router, 7777 has to forward to the server. I don't get to play very often but if you see a server named "Vegas Death" in the Internet listing in the game, come on in using "sierra" as the password.:cool: