UT 2004 - Native Res. MBP!

Discussion in 'Games' started by ericsthename, Dec 10, 2006.

1. ericsthename macrumors regular

Alright Ladies and Gentlewomen,

So I did a clean install yesterday and decided to get Unreal 2004 back on my MacBook Pro...

For those who have MacBook Pro's, you know already that Unreal 2004 runs about as well as any game to come out as a universal binary yet, however it only supports 1280 resolution through the in-game menu.

Well, through some basic tinkering I have found that you can change the resolution manually in the game's file:

Go to: Macintosh HD / yourhome / Library / Application Support / Unreal Tournament 2004 /

In this folder should be a System folder, inside of which there should be a file named: UT2004.ini

Open UT2004.ini with Textedit, then scroll down to the section called:

[SDLDrv.SDLClient]

Two lines down should be categories named: FullscreenViewportX and FullscreenViewportY. Change those values to 1440 and 900 respectively - OR whatever your monitor's native resolution is.

I don't know if other intel macintoshes suffer from lack of resolution with this game, but I don't see why this wouldnt work for them too!

Enjoy - and sorry if this has already been posted or discussed ad nauseum...

2. greatdevourer macrumors 68000

And for those of you wondering how to further improve visual quality once you have it on everything full settings at 1920x1440 (gotta love 160dpi CRTs sometimes :D), do the following to turn on anti-aliasing:

Install Apple's Xcode Developer Tools, and run OpenGL Profiler.app, which you'll find in /Developer -> Applications -> Graphics Tools. Add the application that you would like FSAA in to the top section of OpenGL Profiler. Check Use custom pixel format and press Edit...

Add a kCGLPFASampleBuffer attribute with a value of 1. Then add a kCGLPFASamples attribute with the number of samples you want (for instance, I can run it at 1440x900 with 16 :D). Make sure you launch the chosen app with the Launch button in OpenGL Profiler or this won't work.

3. eXan macrumors 601

eXan

Or use ATI Display Utility to turn on/off AA, AF, VSync etc. If you are on ATI graphics card of course ;)

4. jdechko macrumors 68040

But isn't that (ATI Display utilitiy) a Windows only app?

Oh, and this little "hack" also works with the file of same name on Windows, too. :)

5. greatdevourer macrumors 68000

And if you're running Windows, in which case what I said is irrelevant anyway, as OpenGL Profler doesn't exist

6. eXan macrumors 601

eXan

Im not running Windows, how could I? I have a G5 iMac.

I was just pointing out that we (Mac users, this is a Mac forum BTW) can turn on/off the disired effects easier (GUI) than using that text command :)

7. jdechko macrumors 68040

You couldn't. :)

I was just pointing out that the text hack is cross platform, while I didn't think the GUI (ATI Utility) was. Is it? I don't know.

(and BTW, I have no Mac. I really want one. I guess I'm just a Mac user at heart :D)