UT 2004 on a 12" powerbook?

Discussion in 'Games' started by wesleyJ, Jun 7, 2004.

1. wesleyJ macrumors member

Sup ya'll...i was wondering how well UT 2004 will play on a rev c 12" powerbook...

is it playable? choppy? intolerable? let me know!

Thanks,

Wes.

2. adamjay macrumors 6502a

adamjay

i can't say what it is like on a Rev C, but on my Rev A 867mhz , its not possible. ultra choppy. 2003 is possible on the Rev A though.

i could estimate that the RevC 1.33ghz's larger cache, video ram, and cpu speed would make it right about playable though.

3. Dont Hurt Me macrumors 603

Dont Hurt Me

Just remember that all laps are using G4, G4 is by no means a gamers chip,weak bus,1/2 used ddr and a clock rate from years ago need i go on? this is what us long time Mac users have been bitching about for year after motorola year. Fact is G4 should be retired,or used only in the low end. now get ready to hear from all the G4 lovers who will try to convince you this poop of a chip is the best thing since sliced bread. you will also hear about vaporware, things to come and more spin. Just remember they didnt start working on G5 because moto was doing such a fantastic job.

4. oingoboingo macrumors 6502a

oingoboingo

I've played UT2004 on both rev B and rev C 12" PowerBooks. It does play better on the rev C, but it's still not great. I'm at work at the moment, but I'll run a benchmark script for you when I get home to get some solid FPS figures.

5. oingoboingo macrumors 6502a

oingoboingo

UT2004 12" PowerBook rev C benchmarks, part 1

Ok, as promised, here are the first set of Unreal Tournament 2004 benchmarks on the revision C 12" PowerBook. My PowerBook is specced as below:

- Revision 'C' 12" PowerBook
    - 1.33GHz G4 CPU, 167MHz FSB, 512KB L2 cache
    - 64MB nVidia GeForce FX 5200 Go GPU
    - 60GB 4500rpm HDD
    - 768MB DDR333 SDRAM system memory
    - Mac OS X 10.3.4; all latest Apple patches and updates applied
    - Running on AC power; performance on 'Highest'

My installation of Unreal Tournament 2004 is the full retail edition, and is at the latest (v3204) patch level. The benchmarking tool is the 'Santa Toolpak Bench', which is a set of flyby and botmatch scripts which can be run on either Windows or Mac installs of Unreal Tournament. It reports (among other things), the minimum, maximum, and average frame rates of each benchmarking run. No other software apart from Finder was running while the benchmark ran. And without further ado:

Flyby: 'Antalus' map frames per second (FPS) scores:

- 1024x768, maximum detail settings
    Min: 5.1, Max: 27.1, Average: 10.1

- 1024x768, minimum detail settings
    Min: 10.6, Max 30.4, Average: 16.8

- 800x600, maximum detail settings
    Min: 7, Max: 35.3, Average: 14.1

- 800x600, minimum detail settings
    Min: 13.1, Max: 68.5, Average: 23.1

Botmatch benchmarks are currently running, but I have one already for your viewing 'pleasure':

Botmatch: 'Antalus' map frames per second (FPS) scores:

- 1024x768, maximum detail settings, 12 bots
    Average: 4.9

Yes, it's as bad as it seems. More benchmarks to follow...

6. aethier macrumors 6502a

aethier

yup, even steve jobs said it himself durring wwdc 2003, they "turned to IBM two years ago" (two years ago, 2003 time, not 2004, so it is 3 years ago now)

anyways i fully agree. gaming requires heavily on actual clock cycles, the faster the chip the better, (welll not quite anymore
    the new athlon 64's 3800+ clocked at 2.4 ghz (i'm pretty sure) is beating p4 3.2 ee, in gaming.

aside from gaming and rendering, the G4, makes a decent chip for web browsing and MP3 stuff....

aethier

7. ShaggyLR macrumors member

I have installed the UT 2004 demo on my 12" 1Ghz iBook, and it will run. I have to bring all of the settings down, but it runs. I believe, however, that my RAM is currently the problem. It plays okay for a minute or two and then chunks up. Most likely due to the fact that I only have 256megs of RAM. I can see it getting better once I get more. However, it will still be running at lowest settings.

Can anyone compare how much better UT 2003 is on a 1Ghz G4? Is there must difference?

8. SoAP macrumors newbie

SoAP

G4

Yeah, the G4 is not a gamer's chip, but it is by no means "poop". It has only 8 pipeline processor stages, allowing a HUGE performance leap over the pentium 4 in doing things like photo editing. Anyway, just thought I'd let you know.