UT 2004 on the Powerbook 17" 1.5

Discussion in 'Games' started by MegatronXJ220, May 27, 2004.

1. MegatronXJ220 macrumors newbie

I got a Powerbook 17" inch with a 128 MB mobility Radeon 9700 and 512 MB of RAM. I got UT 2004 with it, and it runs like crap. I seriously feel sick to my stomach. :confused: I don't know what to think. On botmatch I got a 16.9 Framerate. When I play the retail version I have to run it at 1024 rez and with everything extremely low, it runs probably at 15-20 on that, and thats ridiculously low. That's on deathmatch too, with onslaught? not going to go there. Does anyone know how I can get the most out of this machine and optimize it for UT2004? It runs TFT very impressively, but for some reason it seems like it hates UT 2004. Thanx if you can help :(

2. applekid macrumors 68020

Start at the default settings and slowly start tweaking from there. There's plenty of people running UT2K4 decently on their PBs, so there should be a solution for your problem. I also found lowering the settings made performance worse in the demo, even with the sound patch. So, get ready for some trial-and-error.

And make sure to check the Activity Monitor for anything unusual. For example, all of my games were stuttering one day, and I checked the Activity Monitor to find one of my Java programs I wrote earlier that day that was going through an infinite loop!

3. invaLPsion macrumors 65816

invaLPsion

Do you have the 5400RPM drive? At barefeats it seems the powerbooks are performing very well on UT2004. An Avg. of 30FPS at 1280 by 854 with everything at max on Bridge of Fate (Botmatch).

I haven't tried UT2K4 myself, but I am considering it.

4. invaLPsion macrumors 65816

invaLPsion

I here ya. Sometimes I wish I got that dual 1.8 back in February... But I waited for the powermac updates that never came. Oh well. I got my baby and I'm happy no matter what, because you can never win unless you get the top of the line dual g5 the day it comes out... :(

5. vasaz macrumors member

Make sure that your energy saver preferences are set to highest performance, and if that still doesn't help try restarting the comp? I have a 1.5 ghz 15" w/128 mb vid and 512 ram and it runs ut 2004 very nicely...but some random times it's really choppy right from the start up, and restarting usually solves it (or double checking my energy prefs).

oh yea, and that's with most of the settings high/normal and all the extra goodies enabled.

6. aswitcher macrumors 603

aswitcher

I too briefly played it at higher settings and found it fine...although the mouse was a bit sensitive on the standard settings.

7. hi_im_rob macrumors member

repair your permissions and set your power settings to max performance.

With 1024x768 and everything set to normal it runs silky smooth on my 1.33ghz pb.

8. Rezet macrumors 6502a

Rezet

Geez man, that sounds worse than I imagined.
    There always nut heads here who will claim they run UT2004 ONS mode with 10 bots on some 800 Mhz ibook or something.
    Assault AND ONS modes are very demending in UT2004. When I play ONS-Convoy assault map with 19 other people online, frames often drop down to teens (see comp specs in signature) Although I do run it on highest available settings. So no surprise for me that pb wouldnt run it great. But it seems 15fps in DM with ati9700 and 1.5ghz g4 seems still slower than I expected.
    Leading me to think there might be something wrong with settings or even worse - hardware. Fix persmissions, update all drivers, reinstall UT2004 and test it then. If everything fails, talk to me on ichat/aim: DimitriFSB

9. knicksfan58 macrumors member

i just switched to mac - can someone tell me what "checking your permissions" means

10. Rezet macrumors 6502a

Rezet

Yeah. That's simple.
    Go to Macintosh HD (or whatever name you set for the Drive with system on it). Then go to "Applications" folder. Scroll down and find "Utilities" folder.
    Find "Disk Utility" program. Launch it. On the left, select you system drive. Make sure you are in "First Aid" tab on top. Then click: "Verify Permissions" button. Once it's done, it will likely find probems that crappy installers caused. So just click: "Repair Permissions", wait till it's done and restart the computer.

11. MegatronXJ220 thread starter macrumors newbie

failure

yeah I got the 5400 80 GB hardrive. besides turning battery power to highest performance instead of automatic, is there any other way to crank it up? It runs like crap still, it runs like at 20 frames per second on deathmatch with novice bots, and like 14-16 with anything like skilled difficulty. I think it's because the more difficult bots run around more. I also did disk permissions, but nothing seems to be saving my failing investment in UT 2004. :( any help, or your own Powerbook 17 benchmarks for the game would be great, thanx guys

P.S. If I upgrade from 512 and add another 512, making a gig, would that make much of a difference? Some say yes, some say not at all becausethe 9700 is already maxed out

12. Rezet macrumors 6502a

Rezet

I don't think it's normal. I'd need more info on what settings you run it on. Whether u have FSAA enabled or not. On my computer I often get 200 FPS on smaller deathmatch maps. With 9 bots, about 100.
    I really doubt adding ram will make much difference really. Unless there is something else that is taking up memory while program is running. UT2004 requires 256 ram and 512 is recommended. It would be nice for you to grab an extra 512mbs stick, but i doubt it will change things dramatically.
    Check out Activity Monitor and see if there is anything taking resources while game is running.
    You may have a buggy video card or bad settings or system itself.
    But its not normal. Difficulty also shouldnt affect fps. Number of bots, however, will.
    One thing i can tell you is that I played UT2003 deathmatch on DM-Antalus on 1Ghz Powerbook @ like 1024xsomething with details on normal and with like 6 bots was getting 25-30+ fps most of the time.
    You may want to try, if you are up to it, reinstall the system and see if it helps. Or you can take laptop to an apple store and ask them to compare the performance. They will have to fix the problem or replace the pb.

13. adamjay macrumors 6502a

adamjay

yea 2003 works great on my 867mhz 12" PB, but 2004 is a whole different beast. i tried 2004 on this machine and it was the choppiest i'd ever seen this machine. it seems as though the landscape detail is much higher in 2004, so all i can recommend is tweak the 2004 gfx settings to as many different combinations as you can and hope to find one that gets you upwards of 30fps.

14. Ozi macrumors regular

Ozi

Can I please get an indication of how well UT2004 will run on my pBook (specs in my signature)? I dont need all settings at max, but i want it to run well, and get at least 35 FPS...

Also, thanks for explaining "checking premissions" rezet. :)