UT 2004

Discussion in 'Games' started by MikeLaRiviere, Jul 22, 2004.

1. MikeLaRiviere macrumors regular

I downloaded the Unreal Tournament 2004 demo, and the frame rate is so poor that the game is unplayable! I have the newest PowerBook 12", 1.33 GHz G4, 768 MB RAM, 64 MB GeForceFX 5200. My brother's PC has a GeForceFX 5600 I gave him, and UT 2004 plays very well on it. He had a 5200 (may have been a GeForce4, but I think an FX), and the game ran pretty well on it also.

Is it because UT on the Mac uses OpenGL as opposed to DirectX? I know that my 1.33 GHz G4 processor runs as fast as or faster than my brother's 2.4 GHz P4 (when one takes into account optimization, instructions per cycle, real performance, etc.). Also, RAM is obviously not a problem, as he has only 512 compared to my 768.

Is this problem limited to the UT demo? Or is the retail version unplayable as well?

Mike LaRiviere

2. angelneo macrumors 68000

I lowered down a few setting in UT2004 demo and the game runs fine on my 1.33 powerbook. Maybe my expectation isn't that high but I find the difference for the game between my 2.6ghz PC and my powerbook to be quite unnoticable.

3. comictimes macrumors 6502a

comictimes

I can't be sure, but I think the demo is considerably worse than the retail version.I mainly think this because the full version runs considerably better on my computer than the demo, but also (I think it was at macrumors) a while ago someone posted about a small bug in the demo which made it run considerable slower. I figure that if there was that one bug, there are probably others, some of which may have been solved in the retail version.

4. MikeLaRiviere thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks... Patch?

Thanks for the responses. A friend of mine also mentioned that there was a patch for the demo that might resolve some problems.

Mike LaRiviere

5. Schmittroth macrumors regular

Schmittroth

The ut2004 demo has a bug. There is a patch, but it's kinda DIY. It has something to do with the sound. If you disable the sound your performance will increase dramtically. the forums at http://www.img.com will have how to do this if it's not in the menu. The retail version runs much better. I've got a 1ghz Tibook and Deathmatch is very playable even with bots. I haven't tried out Assault or Onslaught yet.

6. applekid macrumors 68020

^^^ DO NOT FOLLOW ABOVE LINK ^^^

Proper sites would be insidemacgames.com or macgamefiles.com.

The patch is hosted on macgamefiles.com.

People seem to either really like the performance of the retail version of UT2K4 or they just hate it. There's no middle ground! From what I understand, a dual processor machine is useful because of bugs in the sound engine (sound data shouldn't take a lot of CPU power at all on any computer including PCs). I don't think the patch helped the demo's performance at all on my machine, but it's still worth a try.

Also, benchmarks show the DirectX renderer in the Windows version of UT2K4 is about twice as fast as the OpenGL renderer in the Mac version of UT2K4. This does not mean DirectX is truly a faster renderer (or at least not that fast), it just proves Apple's OpenGL has a long way to go.

But do remember you are comparing a mobile version of the 5200 to a 5600 and a desktop 5200 or GeForce4 (depending on what your brother's former card was). The mobile version is definitely underclocked.

7. oingoboingo macrumors 6502a

oingoboingo

The retail version is close to unplayable on the 1.33GHz 12" PowerBook (I own both the full retail version of UT2004 and a 1.33GHz 12" PB). I posted some benchmark scores for UT2004 on the 12" PowerBook a while back. I'll search through my old posts and see if I can find the scores.

8. oingoboingo macrumors 6502a

oingoboingo

Ok, here are the benchmarks I ran a while back:

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?p=875012#post875012

Basically you should get reasonable playability at 800x600, low detail settings. However, when you try to push the resolution or the detail level up, things start to slow down pretty quickly.