UT 2k3 Mods

Discussion in 'Games' started by lewdvig, Oct 11, 2003.

1. lewdvig macrumors 65816

Has anyone tried the various UT2k3 mods floating around like this one:

http://www.unrealwarfarex.com/redorchestra/

...on their Mac UT2k3?

Apart from the passe mutators and simple mods, do the total conversions work? They should, but I have not bought the mac version yet.

Red Orchestra looks particularly promising for Mac users as we don't have DoD or BF1942.

2. jamesatzones macrumors regular

Being new to Unreal I haven't but I will later tonight. Is there other URLs for mods?

3. aethier macrumors 6502a

aethier

yeah, red orchestra looks pretty good, i think it is time i buy UT2k3

aethier

4. lewdvig thread starter macrumors 65816

5. jamesatzones macrumors regular

That is a lot of Macs...

By the way, lewdvig, thanks for the links...

6. couch potato macrumors regular

duude, thats awesome. ill download is asap.

hey, how do you install ut2k3 mods anyway

7. lewdvig thread starter macrumors 65816

My dual 800 G4 with Radeon 8500 was not up to UT2k3 - at least not the way I am used to playing it. I hoped a 1GHz iMac with DDR and GF4MX might do a little better (even though the video card is less powerful, but no luck).

So I guess I am not going to get this for my Mac.

8. aethier macrumors 6502a

aethier

lol, well i have to update that, i cancled my order for the g5, when the new powerbook 15 inch came out.. i think it is time to update my profile, and my new powerbook arrived two days ago, and it has a defected keyboard and lcd, so it is a the shop been repaired.. :(

aethier

EDIT: and they are technicaly my dads, he payed for all of them, but i am only 16, and still live at home so yeah. the only one he uses is the 17 inch powerbook. so it is nice to have the rest at your disposal. but the 15inch powerbook, i bought with my own money.

9. Santaduck macrumors 6502a

Santaduck

UT2k3 Total Conversion Frag Ops Coming by Oct 31!

A lot of us are working on making all the total conversions for ut2k3/ut2k4 work for mac. Ryan Gordon (http://www.icculus.org) is also famous for helping the mac community, and has done a bunch of stuff like the openAL tweak (for Ut2k3 & AA), as well as helping write the G5 optimization for UT2k3.

For those of you who don't know me from the old UT mod Tactical Ops, I got the PC-only retail (.exe Joliet CD installer) version (3.40) for Tactical Ops: Assault on Terror working on Mac, and assisted in earlier efforts tweaking and getting the earlier (2.20-3.32) versions working in Clan Macintosh Tactical Ops forums.

Currently I'm the sole mac Betatester & erstwhile mac script coder for the UT2k3 Total Conversion mod FRAG-OPS, which is a semi-realism mod. (Our irc is at: irc.gamesnet.net #frag-ops)

I correspond frequently with JaggedEdge, who has worked on getting lots of UT2k3 mods working, and I wrote a short launcher script for him for the mod he is betaing for, which is the above-mentioned RedOrchestra. We also trade notes on tweaking the .ini files for the mod games. Other frequent people in the scene are rm Dave-- Dave is on the AA (america's army) BT team, and works with a Cocoa coder for some of his apps (like a server launcher for AA), and of course bmr Kuran, who hangs out at inside-mac-gaming (IMG) forums, but under a differenet alias which I forget at the moment.

Frag-Ops will have a working launcher, as well as a drag-and-drop installer application (applescript application), and the game files for FO will be released in .zip format, so you just unzip & drag the folder to my installer app icon and you're set. BTW since we're all working toward the 'make something unreal (MSU)' contest, the latest FO will be released is Oct 31.

_____

(Read on if
    "you want to DO IT YOURSELF to make a mac unsupported UT2K3 mod run on your mac")

Basic info for DIY of UT2k3 mods:

1) Right-click or control-click Unreal Tournament 2003 and select "show package contents". This will show the folder hierarchy of the different file types. Learn which file extensions go in which folder. Then you can drag mod files of that file type into the approrpriate folder. e.g. *.ogg goes into Music.
    A) note: if you set up a duplicate path hierachy in your .ini file path area, you can keep your mod files, and original ut2k3 files separate, but I won't go into that here.
    2) If there is an .exe installer, use virtual PC to extract the files.
    3) Your user settings are not in the ut2k3/System folder. They are in your (boot drive)/(username)/Library/Application Support/Unreal Tournament 2003/System folder.
    A) The default .ini files are: ut2003.ini and User.ini. Use these files to modify, line-by-line, the mod-supplied PC version of their ini files. Note that the mod .ini files will be named differently, for example FragOps.ini and FOUser.ini. Of course you won't have to do this for FragOps, because I have already, but that's just an example.
    4) You need to boot through the Terminal, if there is not a launcher
    A) open Terminal (it's in your Applications: Utilities)
    B) type cd <space> (but don't press return)
    C) drag the folder System from inside Unreal Tournament 2003 "show packages" to the terminal window. This results in a path being inserted after "CD". Press Return.
    D) the run application is ut-2003.bin... make sure you know the names of your alternate game.ini and user.ini files, and make sure they are sitting pretty in your ..../application support/unreal tournament 2003/system folder.
    E) start the game with this command:
    ut2003.bin nvidialogo.ut2 (game.ini) (user.ini) (log.ini)
    where (game.ini) is the mod's equivalent of ut2003.ini, (user.ini) is the mod's equivalent of userl.ini, and (log.ini) is optional, you can leave it blank.

To make things more convenient, you can make a file to store the path, and a script to access the path & launch the game by the commandline above automatically. PM me if you really get this far & I'll help you.

Note: if you get a currently unsupported ut2k3 mod working for mac, please post about it to that mod's forums, as well as here at macrumors.