UT for Mac OS X new preview to be released

Discussion in 'Games' started by bousozoku, Nov 30, 2004.

1. bousozoku Moderator emeritus

I was just checking the UT Preservation Group's web site (http://www.utpg.org/) and noted that they have apparently completed a preview of the original Unreal Tournament for Mac OS X.

2. applekid macrumors 68020

I need Windowed Mode! And I need to be able to serve games. The current preview patch by Westlake has disabled my ability to be a server for some reason.

3. neoelectronaut macrumors 68020

neoelectronaut

A little speed increase (I should be getting much better fps on my 7500) and putting back in the music is all I really want.

4. Santaduck macrumors 6502a

Santaduck

I can finally return to UT mods like Tactical Ops =) It's not worth playing in the current UT X p3.

You can also check Ryan Gordon's .plan for updates from time to time.

Also the utpg.org news article was posted nov 8. I did an interview with ryan a few days later where he said

5. crachoar macrumors 6502a

6. bousozoku thread starter Moderator emeritus

It's not released yet but they're close to an executable and that's a whole lot further than we've seen in over a year or two.

7. ravenvii macrumors 604

ravenvii

Wow, UT is an old, old game. Why not put that energy into, say, Half-Life?

8. bousozoku thread starter Moderator emeritus

Half Life was never released on any Macintosh operating system--that's why. Besides, if you look at the timeline, Half Life isn't all that new.

9. Santaduck macrumors 6502a

Santaduck

also the gameplay is surprisingly good. If you've been playing UT 2004 the whole time, go back to UT (99) and take another look, and you'll remember why you got into FPS games in the first place. UT2k4 has the eye candy, but is missing something I can't put my finger on, that the original had.

And good point about HL-- HL was never made for OS X. On the other hand UT does indeed have an OS X version (just download it from macgamefiles.com) called UT X Preview 3, a beta/preview release that we've been left with for years. (Thus, it's an update we're waiting for, not an entire port from scratch.) I know many folks (like some of the clan Mac Addict guys) who will reboot in os 9 just to avoid UTXP3, and I can see why.

10. bousozoku thread starter Moderator emeritus

Yeah, UT just moves well and the visuals weren't all that bad at best resolution. Besides, you can play it at a decent resolution with speed.

As far as porting from scratch, I don't think that they saved much. Ryan has said pretty much that they started again with nothing because they didn't like the way the work was originally done.

11. Poeben macrumors 6502

Found this over at http://macologist.org/

The Unreal Tournament Preservation Group (UTPG) along with Ryan Gordon have begun external beta testing of an updated version of Unreal Tournament 99 for OS X, Macologist has learned.

UTPG is a group of programmers and server admins working to maintain the UT codebase with the blessing of Epic and access to the source code; the game releases are also popularly known as "UTPG". Although UTPG has already been released in versions 440 and 451b for Windows and Linux, UT has remained at version 436 for Mac with no UTPG release, the OS X version instead remaining at a beta release known as UT X Preview 3 since early 2002.

Ryan told us that the OS X UTPG build currently being tested comes in a true application bundle, and uses OpenAL (as does the Linux build). He also told us it is version 468, "minus the changes that break net compatibility. Those will go in later, but for now, the build should work with every server/client back to at least 436 (the Game of the Year edition version), and maybe earlier." It's unknown whether 468 is a final build expected for Linux and Windows as well, or just an interim build. We'll keep you updated if we receive more releasable news from Gordon, including issues of mod compatibility, in particular Tactical Ops.

12. applekid macrumors 68020

13. cgratti macrumors 6502a

cgratti

Because UT is ten times the game Half Life is. Period.....

14. Capt Underpants macrumors 68030

Capt Underpants

I guarantee you that more people are playing half-life, or its mods right now than are playing UT.

15. bousozoku thread starter Moderator emeritus

More people are now playing the CounterStrike mod than ever played Half-Life itself because Half-Life wasn't that great of a game.

I think it's pretty easy to say that more Mac users are playing UT than are playing Half-Life or CounterStrike. :D Some of them are playing a mod that simulates CounterStrike, right? TacOps, SpecOps?

16. Capt Underpants macrumors 68030

Capt Underpants

I didn't know that counter-strike simulating mods existed for UT. If that's the case, I may just have to go out and buy UT...

And yes, it is very easy to say that more mac users are playing UT than HL or CS. I do wish someone would port CS over to OSX. I dearly miss it :(

17. bousozoku thread starter Moderator emeritus

You can look for that mod on UT2004 now. It was recently re-worked for that game.

18. socamx macrumors 6502

Is it too much to ask for ingame music...? I hope this update re-enables the music...

Other than that a speed boost would be nice, blows my mind that this game lags in fps on a radeon 9800 pro in a G5.

My wish list in order of necessity...

1. Music.
    2. Dedicated server.
    3. No more messed up downloads for 1k file sizes.
    4. Better audio quality.
    5. All the graphic glitches.

I've practically stopped playing UT because the current os x port is so bad (and so many anti-mac cheat protections)... I'm stuck with UT2k4. =\ It almost annoys me just enough to hook up my old powermac 9600 so I can play it in Glide mode with my voodoo and remember the good old days...

19. bousozoku thread starter Moderator emeritus

I can tell you with certainty that this first preview will not be anything like a finished product and no one should think so. Many things will not work and other things should not be expected to work well.

It would be a shame for people here to complain about it being raw when it is an early release. Yes, it's been taking a while. Remember that people are volunteering time to work on the project. They still have to work on the projects for which they're paid.

20. neoelectronaut macrumors 68020

neoelectronaut

You'd be better off with Q3A and True Combat. Fun!

21. Capt Underpants macrumors 68030

Capt Underpants

Thanks for the linky! That game reminds me alot of Counter-Strike. I may just go out and buy Quake 3!

edit: Crap, CompUSA doesn't sell Q3A for the mac...

22. neoelectronaut macrumors 68020

neoelectronaut

PC Version of Q3A: $9.99.
    +
    Mac Files + Launcher: Free
    +
    True Combat Mod: Free
    =
    FUNINABUNSUCKA!!!11

23. Capt Underpants macrumors 68030

Capt Underpants

Will the PC version work on a mac?

24. bousozoku thread starter Moderator emeritus

It's only a matter of putting the Mac demo (latest v.1.32) on your machine and replacing the map files, etc. from the full paid version.

25. Capt Underpants macrumors 68030

Capt Underpants

I went out and bought Quake 3 Arena. For $10, it can't be beat. I can't enable punkbuster, though, so that is very frustrating. Because the TrueCombat mod requires punkbuster, I can't play it :(