UT2004: Good port or bad port?

Discussion in 'Games' started by Soulstorm, May 13, 2005.

1. Soulstorm macrumors 68000

Soulstorm

In these forums I have seen many different opinions about the quality of UT2004 for Mac. So, what's yours? Do you consider UT2004 for mac to be a good port, bad port, or it could just be better than it is now?

2. bousozoku Moderator emeritus

It's reasonably good in contrast to others. Of course, it could be a better performer but it's gotten better as patches have arrived and certainly, Apple's changes have helped.

The good thing is that Ryan Gordon who did the port...cares...a lot.

3. ijimk macrumors 6502a

ijimk

i love UT 2004, I played both PC and mac versions and dont see any difference between the two. The new patches were terrific and added more life to the already great game !!! two thumbs up from ME! :D

4. Soulstorm thread starter macrumors 68000

Soulstorm

Does he? The only way for a patch to come out for the mac, is to come out for the PC first. Then, Ryan takes the code, sees the changes and makes the necessary adjuustments. But some things remain unfixed, such as the broken sound (Ryan has released a partial openal.dylib fix but it still is not at the quality level of PC) or the lack of shadows (only blob shadows are available at the moment).

My point is... will we be forced to wait for a patch at the PC version in order to have these things fixed, which were supposed to work at the initial retail version (in pc's they did)?

5. bousozoku Moderator emeritus

Considering that we spent two hours figuring out why the installer wouldn't work on my machine, I think he cares a lot.

Remember that very little money is allocated to patches. It would be good if the two things you're mentioning were working the same as the Windows version but overall, the game is great. When you look at some other ports and the care given to them after the fact, it's no question that UT2004 is a better example.

6. Schmittroth macrumors regular

Schmittroth

Based on the specs of your machines UT2k4 is a fine game (just not on the G3). I run it on my 1GHz TiBook and have a lot of fun. It has more to do with your enjoyment of the game. UT is much faster than most FPS and the hopping around thing can get old quick. But now we have giant tanks so hoppers aren't so much an issue. Check out the Vehicle CTF games for a great time. I think it's more fun than Onslaught (let the flamming begin).

7. Soulstorm thread starter macrumors 68000

Soulstorm

My question was related to the quality of the port, not the fun of the game.

Actuallly, I have the game for some months now. And I see that with every patch UT2004 becomes bettter.

I think Ryan cares a lot, but he doesn't have the time to care more! He is very busy working on Unreal Engine 3 for Mac, as well as other ports, such as America's army etc, and he can't afford that much time to UT2004.

8. eXan macrumors 601

eXan

I think the Mac version has a lot less eye-candy than in PC version. Many effects are turned off (vehicle's headlights WORK, shadows, PowerNode/Core shield display, team icons displayed in flags... etc.) The performance is very good on Mac :) (not on mine :()

9. WhiteSavage macrumors regular

WhiteSavage

I see the port as great. There's aren't any major problems (No problems for me at all) and the requirements aren't all that taxing compared to graphics. I'll have to say I like it. And if he ports Unreal Tournament 2007, by all means, I'm going to buy that too.

10. mus0r macrumors regular

I haven't gotten 2004, yet, but I do have 2003 and I love it. I can play it on my Powerbook with all the settings maxed out and it rarely skips a beat (except on REALLY huge maps).

What I'd like to know is why people say the Halo port is bad :confused: I play it a lot, and I think it plays very well (on my PB, too) despite the gameplay being dull after a few hours. Single player is pretty lame, too.

11. bousozoku Moderator emeritus

The one complaint I've heard most is that it's not very easy to configure and works as if it's still tied to an xbox controller. The other thing, of course, is that the original machine on which is was shown to the world was a 350 MHz 604e, I believe and the current version doesn't even come close to being usable on such a machine.

12. BKKloppenborg macrumors regular