UT2004 Graphics Quality Mac VS PC Related Question

Discussion in 'Games' started by Soulstorm, Mar 5, 2005.

1. Soulstorm macrumors 68000

Soulstorm

I played UT2004 in a pc with the same GPU as mine... (ATI 9600XT). I noticed that the audio and some video aspects are tottaly crap on the mac compared to PC.

1)Shadows. The shadows in the PC version are of higher quality. I mean, the shadows totally reflect the true shape of the character's body. In the mac version all I see is a blurry shadow-like circular thing on the ground. Have you been experiencing this, too? Is there anything I can do? (My system is in my signature... I currently use the G5).

2)Sound. One of the thinks I dislike about the game. I hate it when they are not played back properly. For instance, have you noticed the intro screen (the one with nVidia's logo and the skaarj that breaks it and shoots?). The sound is played only in ONE speaker. I mentioned this to give an example of what is happening inside the game.

Sounds are heard from the wrong side sometimes (no, I have not enabled reverse audio, and there is nothing wrong with my speakers) or for example when a sound is meant to be heard from behind, is is played from the right or left speaker!

Why is that, Is it because of OpenAL? I heard there are some problems concerning OpenAL for Mac OS X.

Do you have any information about this matter?

2. GFLPraxis macrumors 604

GFLPraxis

Check what the settings are. You may just have shadow quality turned low. I had that with SW Battlefront.

3. Soulstorm thread starter macrumors 68000

Soulstorm

It is set to "Blob". I only get two settings available. "Blob" and "None".

4. Phat_Pat macrumors 68000

Phat_Pat

yes I get this too. Same with the sound. (For instance the intro movie of the single player mode. The music is the only audible effect.)

You are not alone. I would LOVE to see a fix for this...... anyone have an idea?

5. Santaduck macrumors 6502a

Santaduck

You can check for updates at Ryan Gordon's page www.icculus.org .

Yes, shadows are blob or none.

Yes, OpenAL is being fixed-- stereo sound has problems, as does surround, as does VoIP. As I mentioned in this thread, we've been helping Ryan test an experimental OpenAL.dylib that fixes these issues. You can read more and download it here at Macologist.

However, note that it is prone to frequent crashes, so it's no real solution (save your original openal.dylib!)

6. Soulstorm thread starter macrumors 68000

Soulstorm

I'm sorry, but this topic you link us into, has been posted at September 11, 2004!! So many months have passed!. I hope these efforts have not been abandoned by now...

Anyway, I posted the same topic at macaddict forums, here:
    http://www.macaddict.com/forums/topic/54334

And what I have come up with is that Ryan is aware of my 2 problems... But I don't thinks they are going to be fixed soon... or at all! Just look at the link and tell me what you think.

7. Santaduck macrumors 6502a

Santaduck

Yes it's been since Sep 2004, but I defend that as the only time I have ever seen a working OpenAL.dylib, other than the AmericasArmy one from a few versions ago that the MacAddict folks and a few others were using in their UT2004.

If you want to rant, then you've done so, and made a point; you have some plausible reasons for being unhappy. However, if you want Ryan's timeline, you need to ask Ryan, not MA forums, not MR forums.

8. eXan macrumors 601

eXan

The Mac version is so much worse than the PC version! :mad:

Here is the list of differences I've encountered:

1) the rear bumper of HellBender. On PC there is a nickname of a driver, currently sitting in the driver place. On Mac it's white all the time

2) the shadows. On PC there is an option in the graphics settings to turn shadows Hight Blob or None. On Mac only Blob or None.

3) the sound. On Mac when you jump into Hellbender or other ground-based vehicle, the engine is always on max RPM. On PC the RPM gets higher only if you accelarate.

4) some pick-ups. On PC regular medpacks are animated. On Mac they just spin around. The Double Damage on PC is pink-purple, on mac it's just tranparend.

5) Some small differences in onscreen goodies.

Points 1 and 3 really annoy me :mad:

9. eXan macrumors 601

eXan

Oh yes I forgot:

The PowerCore/Node's shields are displayed with much less effects, than on PC.

10. yellow Moderator emeritus

yellow

I only say this because it's true, but I am certainly not condoning it..

When has a game app, ported from the PC, behaved/looked/sounded as good on the Mac as it did on the PC?

Sad, but true..