UT2004 patch 3369 released

Discussion in 'Games' started by bousozoku, Dec 5, 2005.

1. bousozoku Moderator emeritus

This is the 3369 patch for the UT2004 Mac OS X retail version. This matches the seventh "official" PC patch. This Mac patch will install over any previous retail version, including an unpatched installation or any beta patches (such as 3229), and contains all previous patch fixes.

This patch will install the Editors' Choice Bonus Pack from Epic Games. It is safe to use this patch even if you've previously installed this bonus pack.

This patch will not upgrade the ut2004 demo, nor any version of ut2003.

NOTABLE CHANGES OVER 3355 PATCH:

MacOS-specific:

* Render-to-texture! On 10.4.3 and later systems, you can get realistic shadows, motion blur, the Hellbender license plate, etc. Please see the notes at the end of this document for details on enabling them.
    * Shadows and other dynamic projectors now render on static meshes and terrain.
    * Weather effects should have the correct color, now.
    * Fixed permissions problem that prevented game from starting when run by a user other than the one that installed the game.
    * Mods launched with the "-MOD" command line will now show the correct splash screen.
    * Patch program now works without graphics (if you want to patch your dedicated server on a remote Xserver over secure-shell, for example). Please see the notes at the end of this document for details.

General Gameplay:

* Fixed DriverLeft() not be called when driver dies in vehicle without vehicle being destroyed. This fixes the vehicle not resetting, and fixes effects like the engine sound not being turned off.
    * Fixed some vehicle weapon effects staying around when bots stopped firing them.
    * Fixed spider mine layer incorrectly reducing mine count when a fired spider mine immediately explodes.
    * Fixed manta and raptor spinning sometimes when player enters
    * SPMA camera explodes if it hits water.
    * Don't allow SPMA camera view to go outside world.
    * Invasion HUD radar uses the viewed pawn's rotation rather than the spectator's rotation.
    * Fixed low gravity not working properly in second and successive rounds of onslaught.
    * Moved announcements for assault energycore to ASOBJ_EnergyCore_Spawn, and made them editable by level designers.
    * Fixed spawning multiple energycores in Assault.
    * Can now throw linkgun with 1 ammo left.
    * Fixed exploit where shieldgun could be used to protect against lava or slime volume damage.
    * Fixed CTF Flags not returning exploit
    * Fixed stats tracking when a player switches between a spectator and active player (or vice-versa)

Networking:

* Various networking serialization optimizations.
    * Fixed issues where players would not properly be sent to the Spectating state on clients.
    * Fix for eyeheight getting screwed up on client
    * Server optimization - players don't do line of sight checks with each other
    * Don't replicate pawn.ViewPitch to netowner
    * Fixed CTF flag not properly attaching to vehicles on net clients.
    * Made CD key hashes sent by clients more secure.
    * Fixed various exploits.
    * Merged Michiel Hendrick's HTTP redirect code improvements.
    * Merged Fix for Map Vote Bug that cut off some chat text
    * Merged Fix for Map Vote Bug that caused the window to open twice
    * Prevent crash exploit (which was fixed) from being propagated to unpatched clients.

Engine:

* Return rather than asserting in UCanvas::WrappedPrint() if no valid font.
    * Fixed -Mod= to support proper exporting of headers
    * Convert '|' to 'I' in player names.
    * Fixed cut and paste error in MidGamePanel.uc that could cause crashes on level changes. (thanks Wormbo)
    * Fix and optimization for projector rendering.
    * Various changes to support 64 bit version.

2. eXan macrumors 601

eXan

Awesome!!! Shadowssss yes! :D :cool:

Well this sucks. Really. ECE is over 80 MB! I already have it (donwloaded on my friend's DSL with 3355 patch) I cant download it again - I have 56K!!!

I guess I will have to find somewhere DSL and download... :mad:

3. Nermal Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

Developers seem to love pushing out big downloads these days :(

4. Soulstorm macrumors 68000

Soulstorm

I was right to have noticed the upgrade in ATI's and nVidia's drivers in 10.4.3. I am very happy that these problems have been resolved, even if 2 years have passed. It seems Apple took their time... :)

One question though. Why not giving people the opportunity to download a lighter version of the update? I have already the ECE installed, why should I download it again?

5. bousozoku thread starter Moderator emeritus

I didn't modify things to use enhanced textures/shadows but it seems quite good...and much snappier, of course. :p

Quite nice to see that they've come up with great changes this late in the game, no pun intended. Summit still shows lots of sparkling holes where the 3D mesh is not coded correctly or the OpenGL routines aren't working correctly.

Oh, and about the big update, I'm sure if you wait a few days, you'll see another version of it without the enhancement pack.

6. pknz macrumors 68020

pknz

7. Veldek macrumors 68000

Veldek

I downloaded the patch but get an error message when trying to install it:

Failed to open [README-ut2004-mac-3369.html] for writing.

Does anyone have an idea what's wrong? I already downloaded another version from another mirror and still get this error...

8. bousozoku thread starter Moderator emeritus

Are you sure that you have room available?

9. Veldek macrumors 68000

Veldek

You mean HD space? Sure, it's about 30GB. Or did I misunderstand you?

10. bousozoku thread starter Moderator emeritus

No, I was asking about the space around the computer, of course. :D Maybe, if you don't put the monitor so close to the computer, it will work better.

Well, with 30 GB, it's obviously enough. Try changing the language to U.S. English instead of German and re-install the patch.

11. Eric5h5 macrumors 68020

Yes, you can. Just set the download to start before going to bed, and it will be done in the morning. That's what I did.

Only thing is, this update seems to break surround sound on Revolution sound cards (the game won't even start with it selected). It might be the OpenAL.dylib I'm using; anyone else have it working?

--Eric

12. Veldek macrumors 68000

Veldek

;)

I already installed the English version, so I'm out of luck here, too. I guess you're out of ideas now?

EDIT:
    Well, I found a solution. I could only install the latest patches with my admin account and not with my normal user (without admin privileges). This time it didn't work with the admin account (see error message), but it did work with my normal account. I find this strange...

Thanks for your help bousozoku.

13. bousozoku thread starter Moderator emeritus

I'm glad you found the problem. I'm not sure why you wouldn't install with the administrator account since anything else would make you authorise the updater to be able to access administrator capabilities.

I wasn't talking about the English version of the original product, but Ryan and I found a long time ago that the installers consider English first and keyboard setups that the installers don't understand won't cause the correct error to be registered.

14. Nermal Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

OK, I just went to download the patch and I can't find it! MacGameFiles and MacSoft's site only seem to have 3355 :confused:

Edit: Ah, it's on Ryan's site :)

15. Veldek macrumors 68000

Veldek

Oh, now I see. Well, could have been worth a try, but now it all works anyway. Thanks again!

16. aussie_geek macrumors 65816

aussie_geek

They mentioned "* Various changes to support 64 bit version.".

what does this mean? :confused:

aussie_geek

17. bousozoku thread starter Moderator emeritus

I'm surprised MacSoft finally have any patch. They don't provide support, as far as I've seen.

18. eXan macrumors 601

eXan

They mean Win 64...

But maybe they used some 64-bit improvements in OSX version!

19. Eric5h5 macrumors 68020

They do. For example, because the DVD drive on certain G5s (including mine) had somewhat buggy firmware that wouldn't read certain DVDs, including the UT2004 DVD, they sent me an extra copy of UT2004 (some sort of DVD-R instead of the retail produced version). They did this immediately with no hassle, and it solved the problem. (Naturally, Apple fixed the firmware about a week later, but it was the thought that counted.) And this is far from the first patch for UT2004, which has been quite well supported all along. Maybe you're confusing them with MacPlay.

--Eric

P.S. The 64 bit version is just so it runs on the 64 bit version of Windows. There are no "improvements". All 64 bit does is let you access more than 4GB of memory. Really, that's ALL. 64 bit on (some?) x86 chips has more registers and thus gets some speed advantages in certain cases, but G5s already have plenty of registers to begin with.