UT2004 PC edition->UT2004 Mac Edition - Anything I can do?

Discussion in 'Games' started by slooksterPSV, Nov 3, 2005.

1. slooksterPSV macrumors 68030

slooksterPSV

I have unreal tournament 2004 for PC, but I would rather play it on Mac. I'm downloading the Demo version and I'm wondering if I could transfer files from PC to the Mac Demo (if that is possible) to play those other levels or that? I take it that it more than likely won't work. Can I trade this version for the Mac version anywhere???

2. Eric5h5 macrumors 68020

Well, you're right.

Unless you can find an individual willing to do that, no. This isn't a case where the same company that made the PC version also made the Mac version. (That's very rare unfortunately.)

--Eric

3. Santaduck macrumors 6502a

Santaduck

You know, I've been curious about this issue since someone else was asking about it on these forums a while back.

For an attempt, I would 1) upgrade it to v436 on the PC side (since the mac updater is a classic installer). 2) Find any Mac user's unrealtournament.ini and user.ini files 3) then use UT X Preview 3 to launch it in OS X.

I seem to remember the INI files and the launcher existing in the root of the game (UT) folder in the Mac version, whereas in the Windows version, these lie in the UT/System folder (although I may be wrong here).
    _________

edit: wups you mean UT2004. The demo binary (executable) won't allow you to play nondemo content I believe so you're pretty much stuck.

4. eXan macrumors 601

eXan

I just tried that UTXP3. The performance was real crap (most of the time 10+ fps on 800x600 Medium and in some spots gets as high as 80+). The only thing that greatly improved is ap loading time (under OS 9 UT launched aprox at the same speed as UT2004 in OSX, but UT99 in OSX opens MUCH faster

5. jdechko macrumors 68040

I dont know of any way to do what youre asking, but you could try to sell the PC version on ebay and pick up the Mac Version, while trying to hold the sale price as close to the purchase price as possible.

6. Mord macrumors G4

Mord

the cd keys are interchangeable so you can just install the full mac version (use your imagination as to where to get it...) and then use your cd key and it'll work online fine.

(if anyone is wandering/cares that i'm posting again it's because i got an unconditional offer from the uni i want to go to so i can be as lazy as i like w00t)

7. Eric5h5 macrumors 68020

You can't "just download the mac version" without resorting to piracy. If you advocate piracy, you're likely to get banned.

--Eric

8. Mord macrumors G4

Mord

breaking the EULA is just as illegal yet the whole thread reaks of it, though your right, i should have said get ahold of instead of download, i'll edit.

9. risc macrumors 68030

risc

Way to support the Mac developers. :rolleyes:

JUST BUY THE MAC VERSION!

10. Eric5h5 macrumors 68020

It doesn't take any imagination as to where to get it. It's called a "store". It's only about $30, big deal. The more people rip off Macsoft, the less likely they are to port UT2007. It's pretty sick to pirate from a company that goes out of their way to provide good support...this summer, they sent me a free DVD-RW copy of UT2004, because the drive in my G5 wouldn't read the original DVD. Which was Apple's fault, not Macsoft's. About a week later, Apple released a firmware update which fixed the problem anyway, figures....

--Eric