UT2004

Discussion in 'Games' started by Phat_Pat, Dec 26, 2004.

1. Phat_Pat macrumors 68000

Phat_Pat

Hey

i have a 2.5 G5 with the NVIDIA GeForce 6800 Ultra DDL graphics card. ohh yeah... its nice :cool:

although when i try to play ut2004 it won't let me turn up certain settings. For instance shadows can only be set to "blob"

Also for some reason i'm not getting any sound effects, all i am hearing is the music and sound effects are hardly noticeable (its not in the setting either.... ive tried changing that)

is this some weird glitch? or something that a patch should of fixed :confused:

thanks

-Pat

2. mrgreen4242 macrumors 601

mrgreen4242

The blob shadows is something that needs to be patched in UT2k4, it's not just you. Can't help with the sounds... some general thoughts tho, if you have a 5.1 or 7.1 setup maybe the 'surround' channels are turned up louder than the main channels? Music and whatnot tends to go over the ambient channels and sound effects fo the main...

Rob

3. Phat_Pat thread starter macrumors 68000

Phat_Pat

oh so the blob shadows isn't just me.... ill try tinkering around with the sound some more.

thanks

-Pat

4. frozenstar macrumors regular

Have you applied the 3339 patch?

My system is similar to yours and UT2004 runs beautifully on it. I can run the game at 1280x800 with max quality settings, 6x FSAA, 16x AF, and still maintain about 60 FPS during online deathmatches. Sometimes it'll drop to as low as 30 in Onslaught, but that's rare.

5. patseguin macrumors 65816

patseguin

How do you get FSAA? Did you buy a 3rd party vid card?

6. Little Endian macrumors 6502a

FSAA can be enabled through the Games Console.

7. patseguin macrumors 65816

patseguin

Within UT2004? I'm very interested in how this is done.

8. risc macrumors 68030

risc

9. patseguin macrumors 65816

patseguin

10. Phat_Pat thread starter macrumors 68000

Phat_Pat

yes ive installed the 3339 patch... although thats it. maybe some of the glitches was fixed in one of the eairlier patches (are there any? Links?)

Also i tried looking for the FSAA but couldnt find it.... and what does AF mean? (sorry if this sounds dumb)

anyways thanks for all you guy's responses :)

-Pat

edit: i messed around in the .ini file and got it to run at 1900x1200 with all settings maxed with no slow down at all. amazing. i also applied the FSAA although i didnt really notice a difference.

although i still dont have the option to turn shadows on. Weird that i can maxed everything cept that. Anyways thanks or all you guys help.

11. Rezet macrumors 6502a

Rezet

Well, considering a $5k you dropped on a complete computer package to run a game that a 1.2k PC can with the same settings, it would be incredibly stupid if you couldnt max settings out. :)

FSAA is Antialiasing.
    AF is Anisotropic Filtering.

Both of those things are designed to pretty up a picture a little. Anitialising makes edges smoother for example. Most of the time it's hard to notice unless you are looking right at the picture when changing AA settings.
    I know retail 9800 on my powermac had a control panel software where you could change all the stuff while running a UT in windowed mode and see result right there and then. On PC for 6800 GTO I also have a control panel. I don't know if they give you control panel with OEM 6800 for mac.