Discussion in 'Games' started by iAmAzN, Jan 23, 2004.

1. iAmAzN macrumors 6502

Oct 3, 2002
    Golden, CO
    Will not be able to connect with Ut2003 servers!!

UT2004 is dropping that whole UT2003 backwards compatibility thing, here's what Epic's Tim Sweeney said: "Networking won't work between UT2003 and UT2004. We had initially planned to support that, but the network code has changed so much in order to reduce bandwidth, support vehicles, and increase performance, that we couldn't keep the two games network-compatible."

2. P-Worm macrumors 68020

Jul 16, 2002
    Salt Lake City, UT
    Meh, it was bound to happen. UT2004 looks like it is going to be really sweet, and if all the changes prevented them from being backwards compatible, that can't be a bad thing. Take your losses, reap your benifits.

3. evolu macrumors regular

Dec 10, 2002
    LA la land...
    I agree - onward and upward...

If UT2k4 requires less bandwidth than 2k3, then move over bacon - now there's something leaner!
  4. AkiraK macrumors member

Nov 16, 2003
    I was surprised that they were initially planning to make it backward compatible. What are the benefits? UT2k4 isn't an expansion pack, and I don't see people with UT2k4 wanting to play UT2k3, especially with the scope of some of the new features.

As excited as I am about UT2k4, I'm not sure why vehicles in multiplayer are being treated as if they're wildly innovative, given that they've been around since Tribes & Tribes 2. Some of the execution is better handled, but it's not new. I'm more excited about some of the new multiplayer modes (the ability to leave your base, fly a spaceship across an open starfield-engaging in dogfights along the way--and infiltrate your opponents base sounds absolutely awesome if done well).
  5. neoelectronaut macrumors 68020

Dec 3, 2003
    Southeastern Louisiana
    Meh. Not like I can play it on my computer anyways. I never can play the new stuff. :)