UT2007 Hardware Requirements...

Discussion in 'Games' started by RobHague, Nov 3, 2005.

1. RobHague macrumors 6502

CrashOverwrite of Extreme-Players reports that the latest issue of PC Games Hardware (German) cites PC hardware requirements from a source at Epic Games. Here are some of the details he provided:

• Minimum: 2.8GHz, 512mb Ram,Geforce6
      for high details: 3-4GHz, 1Gb Ram, Nvidia 6800GT/ultra or 7800GT/GTX SLI
      Dual-core Processor use: Multi-Threading is supported and should provide much better performance.
      64 Bit version available with better textures
      Renderers: Shader-3.0, Fallback-Mode for Shader 2.0 maybe a dx8 renderer.
      HDR: yes
      physics: Novodex-Physik-Engine.
      Ageias PhysX Processor supported.

SOURCE: http://www.beyondunreal.com/daedalus/singlepost.php?id=8914
    Ageias PhysX: http://www.nordichardware.com/news,2067.html

2. OutThere macrumors 603

OutThere

Well those are the specs for the 2007 edition...by then we can hope that 3ghz computer will be slightly more common. We've got a while to overcome chip design and price point boundaries. :)

3. RobHague thread starter macrumors 6502

3Ghz does not seem that bad to me, im just wondering thats all - What the MAC requirements might be, also im going to assume we dont get Ageias PhysX anytime soon (if ever).

4. crazzyeddie macrumors 68030

crazzyeddie

I think that we can safely assume that if this does get ported to Mac (seems very unlikely for PPC) that a dual 2.x CPU will have no problems, since it is multithreaded and can run on a single 2.8.

5. Whyren macrumors 6502a

Whyren

Aww...guess I can't play it on my system...as if I thought it would. :rolleyes:
    Guess that's an excuse to upgrade. :D

6. RobHague thread starter macrumors 6502

Well im assuming this is due out in 2006 sometime... i would surley hope that even in 2007 games get ported for both Intel and PPC... its almost 2006 now so thats like 1 year away.

7. crazzyeddie macrumors 68030

crazzyeddie

It probably won't come out for PPC because of the DirectX 9 requirement, unless they do another Linux port (like with UT2004).

8. Eric5h5 macrumors 68020

DirectX 9? That really has nothing at all to do with PPC or not. Converting to OpenGL isn't a big deal...not exactly trivial, but it's done all the time, or else the only Mac game ports this year would have been pretty much Doom3.

Any PowerMac G5 should be able to handle it, aside from maybe the single CPU models (unless it was optimized well for PPC, but UT2004 wasn't). However, that's not a huge market. Still, I think the chances are fairly decent, and from I've read, it seems that at least some preliminary OS X work has already been done, unless I'm reading too much into it. There was something about maybe having it be G5-only...from those specs, looks like that's pretty much a given anyway.

--Eric

9. 7on macrumors 601

7on

Game Devs will drop PPC the minute Intel Macs come out. They were the first people to drop classic support and they will be the first to drop PPC support.

It's just too costly to maintain many different versions of the same game - which is why the porting houses often keep up with the updates rather than the real companies.

A lot of games aren't even supporting G4's anymore. Not that fast G4's aren't powerful enough to do it, just that porting that much code isn't financially worth it.

10. Soulstorm macrumors 68000

Soulstorm

You're wrong. Tell me some games that don't support the G4. There even aren't any. Even doom 3 runs on G4. I can personnaly guarantee that.

?? How do you conclude that? Firstly, devs did not drop OS 9 support so fast. They waited until the OS X community grows larger, so that we would have a painless transition. That's one of the many reasons Carbon exists!

And it's not the same thing as PPC-Intel. We are only talking about different platforms here, and because they have the same OS, the transition will be much less painless than OS9-OSX.

Also, they won't drop the support for PPC. Maintaining 2 versions of the same game is easy. Have you ever heard of universal binaries? The game must just be compiled into 2 different environments, that's all. Do you think that game developers will choose not to support the PPC community, even if the PPC community will be much larger that the Intel community? I don't think so, that would be a tremendous economical mistake.

Lastly, to everyone here:

UUT2007 WILL COME OUT FOT THE MAC! Ryan Gordon has been porting the Unreal Engine 3 to Macintosh platform. And specifically, to PPC. So, we will see unreal engine 3 games to the mac, there is no doubt about that.

11. psycho bob macrumors 6502a

psycho bob

We will not see UT2007 for PPC only. Aspyr have no plans to launch COD2 which would run happily on current machines and is on course to be game of the year, at least in the FPS category. Switching to Intel is a big deal, if adobe are having problems and they sell millions of mac copies then a games porting house that may sell a few 100,000 max will have even more. Besides all this why run a port when in all likely hood you can just run Windows and enjoy full DX9 support and improved FPS rates on the same box as OS X in the future. Saying universal bindaries solve all problems is hugely untrue, they do not count for software optimization for one thing which with a port is the most important aspect.

The trouble for any developer on mac is the split level system apple operate. Solid pro machines and crippled consumer ones. The only machines in Apples aresenal to really match their PC counterparts are the dual G5's. If we are saying that consumer macs will go Intel first then the real powerhouses will still be on PPC and why would a developer produce an Intel version of a game so it can suck on (possibly) a lowly integrated GPU chipset in a mac mini. I agree we will see universal bindaries but if we don't then I don't think we will get big titles until everything is on Intel by which time I suspect if it can be done (although I see GPU ROM issues on the horizon) most will just install windows on their macs anyway.

The fact is while the PPC community will be larger for some time then any Intel purchasers the actual usability of the former machines will be brought in to question. Even a newer dual G4 will start to struggle with the very latest games that are appearing now. So we are basically saying that machines which are pro level and under 3 years old with the right GPU will be ok but this is not the majority of PPC macs and of those the vast majority of users will not be gamers after every and all titles. The market isn't very big for mac at all, the actual targetable market is even smaller. A lot of games don't make it to mac at all because the economics just aren't feasable.

12. eXan macrumors 601

eXan

No, if they drop PPC, they will have no income at all, cuz everyone has PPC and just few (<5%) will have Mactel, so it would not be worth to make intel-only version

13. eXan macrumors 601

eXan

I hope I would be able to run this game at min options on more that 15 fps :eek: on my next Mac (2 ghz iMac)

14. Eric5h5 macrumors 68020

Turns out those hardware requirements are fake. So all bets are off. Maybe it'll run fine on a blue & white G3. ;)

--Eric

15. RobHague thread starter macrumors 6502

16. RobHague thread starter macrumors 6502

I don't get it :confused: one person said OMFG its too early to know which makes them automatically right? [EDIT: Just noticed his name, hmmmm]

Anyhow ---

Hopefully the Mac version wont take much longer after.

17. Eric5h5 macrumors 68020

Yeah, if you're one of the guys in charge, that makes you automatically right. ;)

--Eric

18. Sdashiki macrumors 68040

Sdashiki

Wow who gives a flying shoot about the specs on a game not coming out for a year.

In a years time the specs on computers will change drastically compared to today.

Who the hell wants to know if they can run a game that isnt coming out anytime soon, RIGHT NOW?

Pointless thread.:mad:

19. efoto macrumors 68030

Valid. Another point is that I doubt this would be released for PPC architecture at all because if it's a year out then they will just develop it under x86 architecture. Only the quadPM could meet these requirements in a year, perhaps, and anything new we buy from this point forward is going to come shy of these requirements until Intel chips enter Mac cases. I don't see the point in spending dev. money on a PPC version for the few quadPM owners of current who want to play this one game in the future.

Once everything is x86 then porting games shouldn't matter and we can get whatever, assuming we get better hardware options/support.

20. RobHague thread starter macrumors 6502

Pointless is in the eye of the beholder Sdashiki. But posting in a thread you think is pointless, to tell other people its pointless, is even more pointless. ;) It's interesting to see what the specifications could be for a future game - helps gage (well for me) the likley hood of a version for Linux/OSX.

efoto What are you talking about? Only the quad could meet the requirements :confused: all the PowerMac's now are Dual-Core -- It said it will make use of Dual-Core, not Dual-CPU Dual Core (though im sure the Quad would be even better). The min requirement listed was a single-core 2.8Ghz P4, if the G5 couldnt match that id be very upset. ;) Also i thought we already had confirmation of a possible port, since there was something a while ago on the UT2007 tools being released for Mac... also there has already been UT, UT2003 and UT2004 for MAC.

I don't see how its a waste of time porting the game to PowerPC when by the time it arrives (Q2 2006 est) there still wont be a significant amount of x86 Mac's out there. With PCIexpress on the new PM's im hoping that UT2007 will work pretty sweet with a 7800GT and a PM G5 2.0Ghz Dual-Core +

21. efoto macrumors 68030

I misread, sorry :eek:. I missed a spec or two in there which skewed my comments pretty harshly. I also didn't see the advertised release was Q2 2006....but you can count on 4-6 months post to get it ported (unless that was a Mac release date :confused: ). I still think there might not be a huge point in making a PPC version as x86 would be around the corner, yet it would be a good move to keep the 'old' Mac users happy, because not everyone will grab a RevA x86 Mac.

So basically, never mind, sorry.

22. satans_banjo macrumors regular

2.8GHz? That's quite a high standard for minimum requirements. UT2004 only needed 933MHz. And I've only got 1.8GHz on my iMac. Well, I'm going to upgrade my mac to a PowerMac when the Mactels come in

23. eXan macrumors 601

eXan

2.8 is only for PC. Remember, UT2004 required 1.2 ghz on a PC, and 933 MHz on Mac? So I guess Mac version will require slightly less mhz. (I still play UT2004 on 700 MHz just fine)

24. aafuss1 macrumors 68000

aafuss1

I can't wait-now will other engines, like Havok be easier to port to Intel based Macs? (No AOEIII on the Mac

25. satans_banjo macrumors regular

that's good to know