UT2k4 now shipping

Discussion in 'MacBytes.com News Discussion' started by MacBytes, Mar 29, 2004.

1. macrumors bot

2. macrumors regular

South Windsor, CT ... This town is just one bi
    Does anyone know if or when the S.E. DVD version is coming out? because I'd just as soon wait for that. macsoft's website kinda sucks, and i tried contacting them to find out, but got no responce. anyone know?

3. macrumors G5

nagromme

The Mac version IS DVD

The Mac version IS on DVD. The main PC version is on CD, and comes in a DVD version as well--but Macs have moved towards adopting DVD faster than PCs (big surprise), so there's no Mac CD version. (For the rare people whose Macs can run UT2k4 but don't have a DVD drive... Don't despair, external units are cheap and useful!)

There's also a PC-only Special Edition version on DVD. That gets you:

* A wasteful metal box to recycle.

* A headset... but most Mac models have built-in mics anyway so I'd just as soon not be tethered to my computer by a headset.

* A second DVD, with tutorials about the developer tools, which are Windows-only.

So we DO get DVD, and the Special Edition is no great loss.

FYI... if you have a single-CPU Mac, the retail game runs twice as fast as the demo! (A bug was fixed--and will be patched in the demo soon.)

4. macrumors regular

South Windsor, CT ... This town is just one bi
    ahh, perfect. Everytime I know there's going to be a special edition of anything, I hate buying the normal one for it to be out a month or two later. I just feel the need to have the best of the best. it's gonna kill me when my 2ghz g5 isn't the best anymore :eek:

but i'm glad to know it isn't missing anything, time to go get it tonight. awesome. Thanks for being so helpful.