UT2K4 or COD

Discussion in 'Games' started by amholl, Feb 4, 2005.

1. amholl macrumors 6502

Which one, in your opinion, is better? WHich has more levels and weapons in the full game. I am kindof doing a compare and contrast here. I have played both demos and i like them both. The demos run fine on my iBook. Also is UT2K5 coming out? Thanks

2. Xeem macrumors 6502a

Xeem

In my opinion, UT2k4 is clearly the better game. It doesn't have a single player storyline (kinda similar to a more in depth Quake 3), but CODs single player mode doesn't build up any skills that transfer over into multiplayer like playing against bots does in Unreal. Also, Unreal has a greater variety of game types than COD (although COD is pretty good in this department, too). COD is a great game, but in the end it is basically just MOHAA that tries to be more realistic (but doesn't really succeed, because they both are just using a tweaked Quake 3 engine).

3. Soulstorm macrumors 68000

Soulstorm

I have both games, and the COD expansion. The fact is that it depends on what you really want from an fps game. UT2K4 is the best game for me. But:

UT2K4 lacks the single player experience that COD gives to the player. You are in an arena and you shoot other... huh... people.
    COD gives you a very good Single player experience, the battles are all scripted, and you really get the impression that you are actually there.

As far as the performance is concerned, I regret to say that although COD has less system requirements that UT2004, the second one seems to run better than COD in some points (unreal engine is better written, and the COD is actually an updated Quake 3 engine).

As far as action is concerned, things are prettty complex here... Both games deliver the same amount of action but each one in its own way. In UT2004 you run and run and kill lots (and i mean LOTS) of opponents, and that's what you are supposed to do, without having to worry too much about the damage you are going to take (you will respawn if you die, so...). But COD has that "Epic" and spectacular feeling of WW2... This is the kind of action that demands from the player to find cover and hide behind a corner and start shooting people.

I would also like to add that although the AI of both games is very good, UT2K4's AI is top-notch, offering the player the best experience in that section... It's not that they are more accurate, more agile or something like that... It's because the bots actually know how to behave as a team even in Assault mode! COD has that team-work orientation too, but after a while you will notice that the enemies are all performing same actions again and again, and that;s when you realize that COD's AI is actually a script written for each mission! And because of that, sometimes your allies behave really stupid!

As far as graphic is concerned... There is no other choice. UT2004.
    As far as gameplay is concerned... That is your choice. If you want something more that a mindless killing sport, that COD is for you. But if you prefer plain and mindless action, buy UT2004.

And, as for networking, I have played online only UT2004. But it is superb, and it also offers online features that most games do not even think to deliver.

In my humble opinion, UT2004 is the best choice. But that is my opinion and the final decision is yours, depending on what type of action you really want.

4. MeanD3feat macrumors member

5. applekid macrumors 68020

Ack! Nobody talked about mods!

UT2K4 has tons of mods that changes the game completely and play like a whole new game. That alone gives it much more replay-ability than CoD.

But, the OP made his/her decision, so that's that.