UT2k4: PC -> Mac?

Discussion in 'Games' started by DaiKirai, Jan 17, 2005.

1. DaiKirai macrumors member

Hello, I'm just another droplet in the flood of PC users attracted by the new Mac Mini. Although I might not have given it a second look had my Linux installation not chosen to hose itself two days ago. :p Linux is nice considering it's completely free, but this is Gentoo, so reinstalling it would be a month-long process and I decided I just didn't want to bother with it.

Also, my PC is a 4U rack-mountable behemoth, so it could be a liability when I move out (possibly abroad) in a few years. Mac Mini is, needless to say, a big improvement in that regard. :)

Anyway, I bought a copy of UT2k4 for my PC not long ago. It's pretty fun, and I'd like to be able to play it without having to buy it again.

It seems to be a recent trend, in some games, to supply only the data files and have the executable be downloaded from the Internet; or at least make this a possibility. I believe this is what Steam does with HL2. Recently a friend of mine, er, acquired a pak0.pk3 file and one somewhat more legal download later had a fully working version of Quake III Arena for Windows. Gentoo Portage uses essentially the same process to install Q3A from my legitimitely purchased CD, and I had the impression this was also the case when I had it install UT2k4.

So, I don't suppose that once I own a Mac Mini I would just be able to (legally) download an UT2k4 executable from somewhere, copy the data files from my PC discs, and be running the Mac version?

If not, I'd like to know what games other then Q3A this is possible with; I might get some pleasant surprises (unlikely though, I don't buy that many games) and in future purchases I'd feel happier supporting a company that believes making the switch should be purely a hardware investment, not a software one.

2. Phat_Pat macrumors 68000

Phat_Pat

No. Windows version of Ut2k4 will not work on mac.... sorry...

the only game that i can think of right now that does that is Blizzard's games.. (warcraft ect)

3. Nermal Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

I don't see why it wouldn't work. In fact, I'll take a look at the latest patch right now and see whether it includes the executables.

Edit: No such luck. The patch refuses to install if it can't find an existing copy on your HD. I tried ripping the patcher apart but didn't get very far, all the actual data seems to be inside a .mojopatch file, and I don't know how to open this.

4. Phat_Pat macrumors 68000

Phat_Pat

i hope not cause i bought a new copy when i got rid of my pc...

5. brandon6684 Guest

I really wish game companies would release their Mac versions like their Linux one, just the executable and needs Windows game files. For a lot of games like UT2004 and Doom 3, the Linux versions are OpenGL, and it would be nice if they ported those versions to Mac instead of outsourcing the development. But I guess the Linux versions are more or less hacks done of a few programmers' pare time and usually aren't "officiall" supported, and the Mac versions usually are.

6. ZildjianKX macrumors 68000

ZildjianKX

If it's any help, the PC serial works on the mac version, and vice versa.

7. Devie macrumors 6502a

So is there any trade deal you can do? Like just throw in a couple bucks or something with it... I was wondering the same thing as this...

And can you play mac vs pc with UT in LAN? I heard with some games it isnt possible...

8. neoelectronaut macrumors 68020

neoelectronaut

Well, all I can suggest is finding someone with a Mac copy of a game to give you a copy of the CDs (DVDs?) It's not like it's illegal, as you already have a serial number that you paid for.

9. Devie macrumors 6502a

Hmm that there is a problem, as I know no one with a mac. All Peecee huggers :rolleyes: .

10. a2daj macrumors member

The Mac version is published by a different party (MacSoft) than the PC version (Atari). You're essentially taking a sale away from the MacSoft.

11. Nermal Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

I just thought of something else that might be possible - download the UT2004 demo, and copy in the data files from the full version. I've done this with a couple of games.

12. Jigglelicious macrumors 6502

Jigglelicious

Though I have not tried this yet, I would assume that the demo executable file would not recognize the files for the full version of the game.

What you would really have to do is acquire the mac version of the /system/ folder, and then you *should* be able to just add the rest of the PC files (textures, maps, sounds, music), though there might be a few other issues with this too.

13. YoYoMac macrumors regular

YoYoMac

I have just done this with Neverwinter Nights on my Mac. Long story short, my PC died and I have all this PC software. I would buy new from the porting companies, but I live/work in China, so the companies don't ship software over seas. Anyway, I was hoping something like this would work with UT2004 or Ghost Recon. NWN is great, But I need a FPS!

14. Demon Hunter macrumors 68020

Guys not to hijack the thread or anything, just thought it would be helpful, I'm selling my copies of Mac UT2k3 and UT2k4, PM me if interested.

Q3A... God I love that game. :)

15. mattmack macrumors 6502a

mattmack

UT works fine over LAN cross platrom. The only game I have encountered that doesn't is the Age of Emires series. Oh and the rumor that this is what killed half life for mac
    :eek:

16. ollie macrumors member

17. Santaduck macrumors 6502a

Santaduck

If you do a swap, you still run a risk that the other party is still using the CD Key in MP. Of course, in a pinch you could reinstall with your PC CD Key probably, but he'd have that too.