UT2k4 Sound issue?

Discussion in 'Games' started by Muskie, Oct 5, 2004.

1. Muskie macrumors 6502

Muskie

Hey all,
    I think I have a problem with the sound in UT2k4. It seems that the 3d sound is opposite of what it is supposed to be. Like if someone is on my left and shoots a rocket, it sounds as if they are on my right. I could be just out of it and confused, but I keep loosing enemies because I think they are somewhere when they aren't. I rely heavily on 3d sound to play games like this, so this is rather of annoying. I have heard that there was a sound prblem with the demo, which bogged your processor down pretty hard. I had the demo before I bought full, so could they be related at all? Anyone else have this problem or am I just making things up? Any help would be appreciated.

2. vraxtus macrumors 65816

vraxtus

3. unixkid macrumors member

HAHAHAHAHAH!! ^^^^^^

4. grapes911 Moderator emeritus

grapes911

Any idea of why reverse sound is even a feature? It seems kind of dumb. I guess if someone has their speakers reversed on their desk, but then they should just put them in the correct position. Does anyone use reverse sound?

5. yellow Moderator emeritus

yellow

I have a rare disease that causes my brain to believe that any sounds I hear on the left actually came from the right, and any sound on... oh forget it. I don't get it either.

6. grapes911 Moderator emeritus

grapes911

You had me there for a second. :rolleyes: I thought you had the coolest disease ever.

7. yellow Moderator emeritus

yellow

I thought that was nymphomania? :)

8. grapes911 Moderator emeritus

grapes911

Its not cool if you have nymphomania, its only cool if your significant other has it. :D

9. applekid macrumors 68020

The only time I can see Reverse Audio be useable anywhere is if you setup your speakers incorrectly.

It may be possible he needs to turn that setting on if his speakers are placed in the wrong places.

10. Muskie thread starter macrumors 6502

Muskie

I'm pretty sure its not my speakers. I use headphones when I play games most of the time, and I haven't had this problem with any of the other games I play, even when I play through the Apple Pro speakers I have. I have also noticed that it doesn't seem like they are just opposite. More like a small amount off in one direction. Like the sound was rotated around me by 45 degrees or soemthing. Its really weird.

11. a2daj macrumors member

12. applekid macrumors 68020

Ah, glad an IMG Forum mate is here in the MacRumors Gaming Forum. We really need the help over here. :)

I would've recommended that as well considering I did remember people having some problems with the sound direction in the IMG Forum.

13. Muskie thread starter macrumors 6502

Muskie

Well, I tried finding a place to stick the .dylib file into, figuring it was in the Library somewhere, but I couldn't find it. And the readme that comes with the file isn't very helpfull.... You know what to do with it? I appreciate it btw, thanks for the link.

14. a2daj macrumors member

Right click the UT2K4 app and select Show Package Content.

Then open up the System folder inside UT2K4.app and put the existing openal.dylib file somewhere for safe keeping. Drop in the new dylib and you'll be good to go.

15. Muskie thread starter macrumors 6502

Muskie

Alright that worked. Thanks. The direction of the sound is fixed, but sometimes the taunts are played at like double speed. I don't have a problem with that, just something I noticed after playing for a couple minutes, thought I would let anyone else know. Thanks again a2daj