Utah college student builds a nuclear fusion reactor.

Discussion in 'Current Events' started by coopdog, Jan 22, 2004.

1. applemacdude macrumors 68040

applemacdude

2. etoiles macrumors 6502a

etoiles

those kids today, seriously...got to watch them. Rebels, trouble makers...what next, a time machine ?

;)

3. MrMacMan macrumors 604

MrMacMan

4. topicolo macrumors 68000

topicolo

5. virividox macrumors 601

virividox

Manila - Nottingham - Philadelphia - Santa Barbar
    kids these days...

im really really really impressed.

6. ExoticFish macrumors 6502a

ExoticFish

The inner depths of madness, aka Kent, OH
    wow... good job! no big deal for me though! my friends and family say that i create a nuclear reaction every time i'm in the bathroom! :D :eek:

7. Counterfit macrumors G3

Counterfit

Reminds me of the story of a Boy Scout who built a working fission reactor in his parents' shed. He was arrested though, because he forged a few letters to get some of the required materials.

But this kid came in second? What the **** came in first? A working wormhole generator?! :confused:

8. krimson macrumors 65816

krimson

Democratic People's Republic of Kalifornia
    Reminds me of an episode of the Outer Limits, where a Univ student suddenly figured out the way to create a cold fusion device, and decided to became a terrorist to show the world or something like that.

9. Megaquad macrumors 6502a

That's nice. Maybe government or someone will notice him now.. it could be great for him in future.

lol I was about to post that before I scrolled down. Great episode.

10. jrv3034 macrumors 6502a

LOL:D, Yeah seriously, how do you beat a nuclear device in a science fair? Maybe somebody figured out why yawning is contageous!

11. Mr. Anderson Moderator emeritus

Mr. Anderson

What I don't get is that he found some of these parts in a junk yard....who throws out a neutron detector?

Cool stuff, though .... I really want to know who won first place :rolleyes:

D

12. Mr. Anderson Moderator emeritus

Mr. Anderson

Ok, a little searching of the website for the Contest

he got $3000.00 and shared 2nd place in the physics category with quite number of others.

1st place in physics went to

but the overall winners were

Looks like things were rigged to me :D

D

13. Vector macrumors 6502a

Vector

I think the other people probably won because their ideas were more creative. A nuclear can be built by many people if they have the proper pieces and instruction, but the other projects like a new method, i assume its new, of measuring the distance to near earth asteroids and a brain computer interfacce are a bit more innovative. I think the other projects that won required more original thought.

14. Counterfit macrumors G3

Counterfit

Right but this was a fusion reactor. You don't just buy the parts at Radio Shack. It's like a Sun mini in there!

15. Vector macrumors 6502a

Vector

I realize that it is a fusion reactor and i agree that his contribution is amazing, but i am saying that the other contributions probably won due to the fact that they are more creative, if only slightly, and have impacts that could be sooner realized.

16. Flynnstone macrumors 65816

Flynnstone

Maybe the others won because their projects were painted hot pink instead of dull grey ;)

17. Vector macrumors 6502a

Vector

Ok, i take back my answer. I am going to have to agree with Flynnstone now.

It was so obvious.

18. coopdog thread starter macrumors 6502a

I have been to the place where he got some of that **** to build it, pretty cool. The University of Utah surplus is about 5 min away they have ALL kinds of cool ****. They had some huge neutron something, x-ray imagining tools, DNA sequencers all kinds of stuff! It's fun to just go there and look around.

19. benjaminpg macrumors regular

Not to mention the incredible mac collection they have at the U surplus center. The Surplus center is great, although I haven't been very recently.

Have you ever bought anything there? I'm curious as to whether it has any sort of guarantee of whether it works.

20. coopdog thread starter macrumors 6502a

Yeah I have, they were selling brand new apple pro speakers for $10 and they go for $30-40 on ebay. All of the stuff is AS IS so you can test it there but if it is broken when you get home you can't do anything about it. There stuff is so sepensive though! I was looking at the PDF list they have on the net of all their items and some prices for brand new stuff on ebay is less than their used prices. I was hoping that they would way under price somethings buy them then sell them on ebay but no....

21. Stelliform macrumors 68000

Stelliform

I think his second place is fair, you have to remember the rule of a science fair. Usually the scientific process, not the wow factor. If his hypotheses was to replicate Farnsworth's work with budget hardware, then he succeeded in that. However, his hypotheses was weak. The other hypotheses may have had more innovation and been more aligned with the scientific process.

Don't get me wrong, it takes alot of balls to look at Farnsworth's designs and say, heh I bet I could build that... But like others have pointed out, the other fairs entries might have been more creative....