Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

paleck

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Apr 11, 2005
with the Tequila!
I took my camera out and took some pictures at our pride parade this past weekend. The full gallery is here and below are a few photos from the parade:

The crowd favorite which the police always threaten to pull from the parade:
QUAC - Queer Utah Aquatics Club

iGary

May 26, 2004
Randy's House
paleck said:
I took my camera out and took some pictures at our pride parade this past weekend. The full gallery is here and below are a few photos from the parade:

The crowd favorite which the police always threaten to pull from the parade:
QUAC - Queer Utah Aquatics Club

Sure the Mormons loved that. :)

Ours is this wekend in DC, I think.

paleck

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Apr 11, 2005
with the Tequila!
iGary said:
Sure the Mormons loved that. :)

Ours is this wekend in DC, I think.

I think the news stations pretend that nothing happens except on the 11 O'Clock news when all the good people have gone to bed. Actually I think that we drew less protestors than the LDS General Conference does these days, which I kinda think is insulting.

Chundles

macrumors G5
Jul 4, 2005
When I saw the title of this thread all I could think of were a bunch of clean shaven guys wearing name badges, slacks, white shirts and an ever so slightly flamboyant tie.

paleck

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Apr 11, 2005
with the Tequila!
Chundles said:
When I saw the title of this thread all I could think of were a bunch of clean shaven guys wearing name badges, slacks, white shirts and an ever so slightly flamboyant tie.

Hahaha.....Now that you mention it here is the Gay LDS group(there are probably more pictures than this of them):

floriflee

macrumors 68030
Dec 21, 2004
paleck said:
I think the news stations pretend that nothing happens except on the 11 O'Clock news when all the good people have gone to bed. Actually I think that we drew less protestors than the LDS General Conference does these days, which I kinda think is insulting.

You can have the protestors if you want them and the people that argue with them, too, for that matter. I just shake my head whenever I see someone arguing back. Just let it go and move on, man.... :)

paleck

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Apr 11, 2005
with the Tequila!
floriflee said:
You can have the protestors if you want them and the people that argue with them, too, for that matter. I just shake my head whenever I see someone arguing back. Just let it go and move on, man.... :)

Oh I leave them be, just weird cause there weren't that many this year. Usually we get more protesters than the General Conference does. (there were only 4 this year)

Felldownthewell

macrumors 65816
Feb 10, 2006
Portland
While things get better elsewhere, here in supposedly liberal Portland, there was a gay bashing last night. Overall we are a great city politics-wise, but things like this happen every now and then. The victims were okay but not a whole lot is being done to find the culprits... more power to Salt Lake though!

interlaced

macrumors 6502a
Nov 16, 2005
Great pics. I think I'm supposed to be volunteering at the Los Angeles one this weekend.

paleck

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Apr 11, 2005
with the Tequila!
Felldownthewell said:
While things get better elsewhere, here in supposedly liberal Portland, there was a gay bashing last night. Overall we are a great city politics-wise, but things like this happen every now and then. The victims were okay but not a whole lot is being done to find the culprits... more power to Salt Lake though!

OMG...I would never have thought that something like that would happen there. I would expect something like that to happen in SLC. We're making improvements in some places at least. Though you should have heard the uproar when the mayor(who is very supportive) announced a plan for partner benefits. You would have expected fire and brimstone!!!

Felldownthewell

macrumors 65816
Feb 10, 2006
Portland
paleck said:
OMG...I would never have thought that something like that would happen there. I would expect something like that to happen in SLC. We're making improvements in some places at least. Though you should have heard the uproar when the mayor(who is very supportive) announced a plan for partner benefits. You would have expected fire and brimstone!!!

Yah I know...its odd- two years ago one of our counties began issuing same-sex marriage certificates. It got shut down in a few days but still. We also had the biggest anti-war rally on the 3rd anniversary of the war(20,000-40,000 people!), just every once and a while some hillbillies come into town to get drunk and stuff like this happens. Back in the 80s skinheads killed an African Immigrant here...these guys are giving us a bad name!

But parner benefits? In SLC? I'm impressed. I'm also suprised that there are still GLBT people in SLC...one would have thought they would have moved out long ago.

paleck

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Apr 11, 2005
with the Tequila!
Felldownthewell said:
Yah I know...its odd- two years ago one of our counties began issuing same-sex marriage certificates. It got shut down in a few days but still. We also had the biggest anti-war rally on the 3rd anniversary of the war(20,000-40,000 people!), just every once and a while some hillbillies come into town to get drunk and stuff like this happens. Back in the 80s skinheads killed an African Immigrant here...these guys are giving us a bad name!

But parner benefits? In SLC? I'm impressed. I'm also suprised that there are still GLBT people in SLC...one would have thought they would have moved out long ago.

I think some stick around just to spite the rest!

devilot

Moderator emeritus
May 1, 2005
Those floats are so much more ornate and polished compared to the Santa Cruz Pride Parade. :p Nice photos, thanks for sharing them.

paleck

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Apr 11, 2005
with the Tequila!
devilot said:
Those floats are so much more ornate and polished compared to the Santa Cruz Pride Parade. :p Nice photos, thanks for sharing them.

I had a lot of fun taking them until my first card filled up and an was struggling to get the spare in with out missing anything. :eek:

paleck

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Apr 11, 2005
with the Tequila!
Daveway said:
Were the Crazy Nazi Baptists from Kansas there? Seems like a prime place for them to protest homosexuality and how God is killing soldiers.

Surprisingly no.....Maybe next year! :cool: Iwas going to take a few pictures of the protestors, but i ended up filling both of my cards and didn't have any more room.:(

Felldownthewell

macrumors 65816
Feb 10, 2006
Portland
Daveway said:
Were the Crazy Nazi Baptists from Kansas there? Seems like a prime place for them to protest homosexuality and how God is killing soldiers.

Uhg. A few of them showed up at a school here showing "The Laramie Project" The police protected them from a few hundred angry highschool kids but I don't remember if the play was called off or not...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.