Utah's biggest storm in over 6 years.

Discussion in 'Current Events' started by coopdog, Dec 28, 2003.

1. coopdog macrumors 6502a

2. iJon macrumors 604

iJon

man, and to just think my jeep is sitting in the garage. ooks beautiful, too bad deaths had to come with the snow, hope they find them.

iJon

3. P-Worm macrumors 68020

P-Worm

Hey, sweet thread! ;)

It took me about 2 housr to shovel our driveway today. Bah.

P-Worm

4. TyWahn macrumors 6502

TyWahn

It's too bad some of that snow can't find its way down to St. George

5. Mr. Anderson Moderator emeritus

Mr. Anderson

We almost hit 60 here today in DC....it would be nice to have even had a small portion of your snow :D

Enjoy!

D

6. pivo6 macrumors 68000

pivo6

I just about lost all of my snow in my yard because of temps in the mid 30's. We could use about a foot here at least. Just not all at once. ;)

7. iJon macrumors 604

iJon

taht means it would hit moab, and i dont think my grandparents would like that to much.

iJon

8. P-Worm macrumors 68020

P-Worm

Funny youshould mention that. I was in St. George visiting my grandparents for the holidays and for about 30 minutes one night, there actually was snow in St. George. Amazing.

P-Worm

9. 3rdpath macrumors 68000

3rdpath

2nd star on the right and straight till morning
    man, that reminds me of when me and a buddy got caught in a massive white-out blizzard while driving through utah on our way from lake tahoe to dallas. it was night and we were on some deserted 2 lane backroad since we liked to take the picturesque routes in our travels. we drove 4 hours at <25mph until we saw the lights of some podunk town in the distance.

must say i was very impressed with the utahpians:)D ) because the little motel we found didn't rip us off like they could've and everyone was so nice about helping us find an open restaurant and such.

(edit: i think the town was salinas, utah)

after living a winter in snow like that (in tahoe) i said "screw it" and came back to southern california. clearing the driveway twice a day and dealing with the road closures was just a royal PITA...ntm, realizing i will always be a suck-ass snow skier.:(

10. ColoJohnBoy macrumors 65816

ColoJohnBoy

Snow? St. George? Bah. In the 18 years I've lived in/visited St. George, it's snowed all of twice, never staying on the ground more than overnight. (I used to live in Dixie Downs - the literal edge of the desert.)

Boy, I wish I was in SLC right now!!! Denver feels downright desert!

PS - Whereabouts in SLC do you live, coopdog? Trying to figure out what I should be seeing :p

11. coopdog thread starter macrumors 6502a

Right by the Highland "H" on the hill. It's the big black rock with a huge "H" painted on it above Foothill Dr. If you don't know where that is. Then I'm pretty close to Foolhill Dr. and 13th south but all the way backed up into the hills, above Bonneville Shoreline Trail.

12. wdlove macrumors P6

wdlove

Those are beautiful pictures coopdog, thank you for sharing. I love snow. Those pictures remind me of Nebraska. Here in Massachusetts they got 30" + of snow on the North Shore on the 6th & 7th. Here in Boston we got 17.1" Now we have bare ground due to T 40's & 50's and rain.
    :(

13. ColoJohnBoy macrumors 65816

ColoJohnBoy

Very cool, I know right where that is. As much as I might bash it, I love Salt Lake and the area, and look forward to each chance I get to visit family out there.

Have fun with the snow!!!

14. patrick0brien macrumors 68040

patrick0brien

-Oops.

I read the thread's title and thought it was referring to the SCO sillyness...

15. benjaminpg macrumors regular

Those of you wishing you were here in Salt Lake City might want to think again. Our power was just restored at about five o'clock today. That makes 87 hours without electricity, over 3 and a half days. We were some of the last people to get power though, but there are still some people without power.

Also, just a comment on the three people that were killed in an avalanche near the Sundance Ski Resort. They were caught completely unprepared, without shovels or beacons. Avalanche beacons for those that don't know are small devices, often worn around the neck, that when triggered emit radio waves, to help searchers locate victims. They also should not have been in the backcountry on a day like that. After a huge storm, the snow can be incredibly unstable, and incredibly dangerous, even to the most prepared skiers.

Anyway,
    I'm going skiing tomorrow. Hopefully there will be some powder left.

16. Awimoway macrumors 65816

I just drove through the mountains and Salt Lake, going west on I-80, last week. There was snow, but not like that.

Bah. It's probably cause I moved away (from Provo) last summer. Now you're finally getting real winters again. :rolleyes:

17. coopdog thread starter macrumors 6502a

Really Cool.

Here is a panorama I made of the snow in my backyard. Panorama
    It's 800 by about 10,000 pixils so kinda big. Three Deer can be seen way up on the hill.
    The

View from the front of my house. The University of Utah can be seen on the far right and downtown are the only tall buildings. The Tall tower and red building behind downtown, is the airport.

SLC Panorama

18. P-Worm macrumors 68020

P-Worm

coopdog, you have a pretty cool view from where you live. I think I feel envy. :)

P-Worm

19. wdlove macrumors P6

wdlove

Your two Panorama views are beautiful. I hope you realize how lucky you are to live in such a scenic area. It certainly make me wish that I still lived in Nebraska.

20. coopdog thread starter macrumors 6502a

A foot or more of new snow tonight! There is no room for the snow we already have anywhere on the roads! :eek:

I made a night panaroma of my SLC view pretty cool: Day is on top and night on bottom. Well i guess you could have figured that out on your own. :D
    Day and Night

21. kidA macrumors regular

actually, we've only got about 3 or 4 inches here in Provo. Utah Valley always gets way less snow than Salt Lake Valley. Some places South Jordan and some areas in Davis County got up to 4 feet because of the very isolated lake effects. it looks like coopdog, based on the view from his house, lives in the bench, and probably has anywhere from 6-10 more inches than the valley floors that weren't touched by the lake effect. still, this is probably the most snow we've had this far into the season in the four winters that i've lived here.

what area do you live in benjaminpg? they were saying on the news today that some areas have been without power for like 4 and a half days.

cross your fingers (or pray, whatever you prefer) that we're actually getting close to the end of the drought cycle.

22. wdlove macrumors P6

wdlove

I enjoy your panaroma pictures coopdog. Please send some of that snow to New England. ;)

23. benjaminpg macrumors regular

I live in Salt Lake City, in Sugarhouse. Yeah, I think there are still people without power, not many, but some. Apparently, this really could be the end of the drought, assuming it keeps up for the season. Apparently the snowpack is at 120 percent of normal levels for this time of year. And it hasn't been at normal levels since about 1995.

For those that ski, the snow has been the best I can remember in a while.