utility for finding HD space hog?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by LittleJoe, Jan 26, 2007.

1. LittleJoe macrumors regular

My MBP has over 80gb of used space and I really have no clue whats taking up all that space. Im having a hard time narrowing down what files or programs are taking up all that space.

A long while back I read a thread (somewhere, not sure if here) for a utility that would show you how to find out whats mysteriously taking up all the space on a drive, but I cant find it now.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

2. PlaceofDis macrumors Core

i believe there is a program called What Size that will list the files by order of size. check versiontracker for it

3. nagromme macrumors G5

nagromme

Three things to try:

1. Find and run Yasu, at versiontracker.com. (Misc. system maintenance tasks.)

2. Do a Finder search with 2 criteria: a) files over 100 MB, and b) Other>Visibility = visible AND invisible files. (Beware deleting invisible files--they may be important to the system.)

3. Look on your HD under Library>Logs>Console... sometimes those files get bigm and I have nor personally seen a problem from trashing them--though one may require a log out and in before you can Empty Trash. (If you have multiple user accounts, each one has its own subfolder, like 501 etc., then you can check by logging into that account.)

4. WildCowboy Administrator/Editor

WildCowboy

Staff Member

5. LittleJoe thread starter macrumors regular

6. LittleJoe thread starter macrumors regular

WhatSize did the trick!

Turns out I had 50gb hiding on a hidden user account I accidentally created a while back by renaming my home folder :p

from 26 free gigs to 76 :D