Utility for measuring internet usage: suggestions?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Blue Velvet, Jan 16, 2005.

1. Blue Velvet Moderator emeritus

Sorry for the vague non-technical term 'internet-usage' but I'm not sure what else to call it...

I've just ordered an cheap 1mb ADSL package with a 2gb/month cap... I'm not a big gamer or downloader so I think that'll be fine for a year or so.

Are there any OS X utilities that can measure and simply display the amount of data that you're downloading/using each month?

Something that sits in the bar at the top like the clock?

Thnx
    BV

2. rogerw macrumors 6502

out of interest, who is supplying the adsl and how much?

sorry cant help u with the widget thing

3. Blue Velvet thread starter Moderator emeritus

Tiscali

4. rogerw macrumors 6502

5. neilrobinson macrumors 6502

try menu meters, its on version tracker - sorry to lazy to find it. :rolleyes:

6. bubbamac macrumors 6502

If you're using Konfabulator, there's a widget that will do this. The only problem is that it will only track one port at a time. I.e., wireless, ethernet...

Works ok, though.

Since there's a widget that will do it, I'm certain you'll be able to find something.

7. Blue Velvet thread starter Moderator emeritus

Thanks – have now downloaded it.
    So we shall see how it goes...

8. Blue Velvet thread starter Moderator emeritus

Poo... It's almost right but it only displays current traffic.

I'm looking for something that keeps track of network activity over a given period...

Still, thanks though.

9. Wes macrumors 68020

Wes

If you click the menu item and go to the bottom it has 'traffic totals'. Depending on your usage this may not be a solution. It gets reset everytime you start up :(.

10. 3Memos macrumors 6502

Do they charge extra per GB over the limit or do they cut off services?

11. neilrobinson macrumors 6502

12. Blue Velvet thread starter Moderator emeritus

£1.50 per extra GB, I think... best to double-check on their site, though.

13. Graeme A macrumors 6502

Graeme A

The last 2 ADSL modems I have used, have included some kind of byte/packet count in the admin menus. You can reset the counters every month to give you an idea of your usage.

Try checking the modem's manual and see what features it has wrt byte counts, etc.

14. Blue Velvet thread starter Moderator emeritus

Thanks for the info -- haven't got the modem yet.

Disappointingly, yet not surprisingly, the site doesn't offer tech support for Macs. However, there are OS X drivers up there for download so we shall see...

15. Applespider macrumors G4

Applespider

looking through rose-tinted spectacles...
    If it's one of those Alcatel Speedtouch (green frog) USB modems, be very wary of its drivers for OSX.

I'm convinced that that's what made my Powerbook have repeated kernal panics when it woke from sleep. I bought myself an ADSL ethernet modem and no problems after that. If getting an ethernet modem isn't an option, be very careful about disconnecting from the USB modem before you put the machine to sleep.

16. Blue Velvet thread starter Moderator emeritus

Thanks.
    Have heard poor things about USB modems, here & elsewhere...

A Netgear ADSL Firewall Router, model DG834 is on the shopping list for January.

17. Wes macrumors 68020

Wes

I have one of those at home, I'll look in the manual if it monitors bandwidth. It fits very well with the Mac colour scheme.

18. 3Memos macrumors 6502

Activity Monitor allows you to check the amount of network traffic occurs. Good only if you are not connected to other computers sharing data. I sometimes use my modem to surf the net and I am only allowed 5 hours per month, such a utility you ask for would be nice to have.

19. Wes macrumors 68020

Wes

BV, I was on firmware 1.03.00 and couldnt't see a statistics feature. I went to the NetGear site and 1.05.00 was out which added ADSL stats. How lucky!

I'm not sure how to convert from packets to bytes/MB though...

Here is what I'm seeing now :).

Attached Files:

20. Nickygoat macrumors 6502a

Nickygoat

I' m looking at this deal and was curious about the download cap. I listen to a lot of internet radio and was wondering how much it would take up. Anyone know how many hours I could listen to Radio 1 for example? Sorry if this is a dumb question - I've been up since 4am. Thanks

21. Blue Velvet thread starter Moderator emeritus

Maybe an uncapped rate would be better for you.

Anyway, this is what it says:

Tiscali Broadbandx20 comes with a 2GB monthly usage allowance which is the amount of data you can download and upload each month. The following table gives you an idea of what you can do with this usage allowance every month.

Online Activity – 2GB a month

Surfing the Internet – 4 hours a day
    Sending photos by email – 60 photos a week
    Receiving photos by email – 60 photos a week
    Downloading music tracks – 10 tracks a week
    Downloading video clips – 10 2-minute clips a week
    Sending emails without attachments – 200 emails a week
    Receiving emails without attachments –200 emails a week

Please note: The above table is intended to illustrate what the 2GB monthly usage allowance might enable you to do. Any combination of these or other activities are also possible. These figures are approximate.

22. Blue Velvet thread starter Moderator emeritus

1 packet of crisps = approx 20 bites?

No, I don't have a clue either...

:)

23. 3Memos macrumors 6502

How do they give you such a fat pipe, and expect you not to use it? My ISP allows me only a 1.2Mbps pipe and although they say 30gb/month, I am always in excess of 100gb/month with no overage charges. I dont think my ISP cares how much I download, as long as I cant upload past 400Kbps upstream. You really have to ask them if they enforce there limit or if it is just a guideline.

24. Nickygoat macrumors 6502a

Nickygoat

Thats what I was thinking. I have an uncapped 512k service now and just leave it running. I read the part you posted on the Tiscali website and think it's probably not for me :( . Won't Tiscali give you an alert when you're reaching your cap? That was my understanding of how these things work, IIRC. Thanks though :)