Utility Ideas

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by blobbo, Nov 11, 2004.

1. blobbo macrumors newbie

Ok, so you're banging around in Mac OS X and you come across something that you do ALL the time, and you go "Gah! I wish there were a utility that would do this FOR me!"

Or you're sitting at home doing something on paper and you go "Gah! I wish there were a digital utility that could do this for me!"

I'm a mac developer looking for ideas for a utility(Please no "AutoCAD for mac" posts, please - I'm a single developer). The prize for the best entry (and the one that I end up developing) is a free copy of the eventual product. Oooooh! Schwag ;)

Go crazy. Thanks in advance.

2. Inkmonkey macrumors 6502

3. iMeowbot macrumors G3

iMeowbot

Really? A specialized Web browser that reads common Web BBS systems (vBulletin like here, UBB, etc.) and presents them more like mail. Emacs (in Gnus) can do something like that, but it doesn't even try to do it in a Mac-y sort of may.

4. ryan42 macrumors 6502

ryan42

Mmm. Let's see.

A utility that would tell you what process was using a file.

that would be great.

5. iMeowbot macrumors G3

iMeowbot

The lsof ("list open files") terminal command does exactly that. It can also tell you about open sockets, etc.

6. Mechcozmo macrumors 603

Mechcozmo

I want to be able to click on the "Start" button and it will repair permissions, run the cron scripts I choose with a checkbox, and also show me a progress bar. Nice and easy little package...

7. superbovine macrumors 68030

superbovine

http://h5197.serverkompetenz.net/cronnix/

8. superbovine macrumors 68030

superbovine

look on rentacoder.com you will find serveral projects that you can do.

9. Mechcozmo macrumors 603

Mechcozmo

Nooo... It will repair your permissions, and then run the selected cron scripts whenever you hit the Start button... like a general maitenance. Because the standard troubleshooting for a Mac is "Repair Permissions, run Cron scripts" if this was all one small application then it would be neat.

Cronnix just does your cron scripts...

10. neilrobinson macrumors 6502

a general "FIX ALL MY PROBLEMS" utility! :rolleyes:

but seriously a frontend for all the popular unix scripts in one program would be great.

11. superbovine macrumors 68030

superbovine

I thought you were smart enough to write your own script and let crontab i.e. cronnix in this case run it for you.

btw

Code:
    diskutil repairPermissions / >> /Users/<user name>/rp.txt