Utility to show running apps?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by alaibubu, Dec 22, 2006.

1. alaibubu macrumors member

Is there any utility out there that shows running apps in the finder/widgets/menubar? I know I can press command + tab but I just want the option to also use the mouse. I've tried searching google but can't find any.

2. Queso macrumors G4

Activity Monitor in the Utilities menu. You may want to select "My Processes" from the pull-down Show menu to filter out all the background system stuff.

3. alaibubu thread starter macrumors member

Thank you for the response.

Back during the os 9 days, there was one part of the menu on the left hand side near the clock that when you press it, shows you all running apps. It is that kind of utility, if any, that I am looking for.

4. Veldek macrumors 68000

Veldek

I would say that the dock has taken over this part. There you can see all apps that are running at the moment. It's perhaps not what you want but that's how OS X does it AFAIK. You might need a 3rd party app if you want more. I don't know if there is one though.

5. emptyCup macrumors 65816

emptyCup

Veldek has the right idea. Remove every app from the dock that you don't use often every day (like your browser and mail program). Drag you Application and Documents folders to the Dock (click to open or hold down to access a menu). Now every running app will be easy to spot in the Dock and easy to switch between.