V For Vendetta (MAY CONTAIN SPOILERS!)

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by clayj, Mar 16, 2006.

1. clayj macrumors 604

clayj

Just got back from seeing this... one of the theatres here in Charlotte decided to open it one night early, a late show.

I *loved* this movie. Hugo Weaving does an excellent job playing the Guy Fawkes-masked V... it's a testament to his acting ability that he can act so well that you almost forget that he's wearing a mask. (There's a short bit where you get to see part of his face... but it's not what you'd think.) This is probably Natalie Portman's best performance to date. (Some have criticized her English accent. I thought she did a pretty good job.) And the supporting cast, especially John Hurt and Stephen Rea, are all really good.

I really liked the changes that the Wachowski Brothers made to the story. (Alan Moore, the original writer, did not... his name was conspicuously absent from the credits.) The descriptions of how things are elsewhere in the world (the US is described as being totally in the toilet... ravaged by plagues and undergoing a second Civil War) are eerily realistic, and the philosophy of the original series is nicely summarized. And there are a couple of VERY funny scenes, including one where V manages to use about 50 words that all start with "v" in a single sentence, and it actually makes sense.

9.5/10, with a .5 deduction for making me wait an additional 5 months for it to come out (it was supposed to be released in November 2005, in time for the 400th anniversary of the Gunpowder Plot).

2. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

Funny thing is that I never even heard of this movie until earlier today, when I read 2 or 3 paragraphs of the world's longest movie review on the net. Anyway, from what I read, the movie sounded great.

"V" also stands for vagina, but I'm not sure why that's the first thing I thought of.

3. Veldek macrumors 68000

Veldek

It will be interesting to see if this will be preserved in the German version...

The critiques I read about this movie were all very positive. I don't know the story, but I think I'll watch it.

4. Piarco macrumors 68030

Piarco

I've been tracking the progress of the film (and like Clayj I was gutted about the delay) but I've only seen one "review" of it so far, and they weren't complementary about it - fortunately the reviewers seemed to be a) slightly placed up their own backsides b) more annoyed about some of the political situations within the story, and how some are similar to what is going on today, but are slightly different (they presumed that things have been changed so not to reflect on the current Labour Government hence why a Conservative Government in the film. Not that they understood that V was written around a decade ago).
    Safe to say that review has been effectively ignored. Glad to see that you enjoyed it Clayj as I trust your opinion a lot more that the halfwits on that show.
    With V added to the list I've got Lucky Number Slevin and Inside Man to see as well over the next two weeks!

5. SamIchi macrumors 68030

SamIchi

He said that the movie didn't represent the storyline or the graphic novel he made. He wants nothing to do with it.

The trailers do seem interesting.

6. clayj thread starter macrumors 604

clayj

Well, he's also apparently the first person who'll admit to you that he's a "pretentious, selfish bastard". (Someone else's words, not mine.) In other words, I don't think he'd be happy with a screenplay that ANYONE else wrote or a movie than ANYONE else directed. In other other words, he sounds like a giant control freak. (Which is his right.)

I just re-read the entire series not long ago (the graphic novel that's available), and while I see the changes between that and the movie (there's a lot less character development, for example), I think they're necessary in order to fit the movie into the 2 hour timeframe that works for a non-epic movie such as this (this ain't no Return of the King).

I've also read that UK film reviewers are being much more stingy with their praise for this movie than US reviewers are... most of the reviewers here like it a lot.

7. Kernow macrumors 65816

Kernow

True - Jonathon Ross, who fronts Film 2006, the BBC's main film review program, absolutely slated the film. He is a self professed comic book fan (and comic book film fan), including those on which this film is based, but didn't have a single positive word to say about it.

I don't know how much of this is due to the changes you mention, but all aspects of the film came in for a bashing - script, dialogue, acting, effects etc. I was considering checking this film out, but have been deterred a bit.

8. 2nyRiggz macrumors 603

2nyRiggz

Thanks for that...i will be seeing it tonight. I had a tough time trying to figure out if i should watch this or The hills have eyes bit.

Bless

9. Leraste macrumors regular

Leraste

I've been looking foward to this movie since summer! And two days ago I get sick as a dog! I don't care if I have to drag myself in the theatre, I WILL SEE IT TONIGHT!

10. Nickygoat macrumors 6502a

Nickygoat

Yeah I've seen a few other reviews. The Grauniad and The Standard both gave it a kicking. Apparently the distributors have cancelled a press screening. Nothing like the tabloids when they get their teeth into something. Although that might be due to the fact that it's set in London.
    Like you I've been deterred a bit - maybe I'll wait for the DVD.

11. i.Feature macrumors 6502

i.Feature

I haven't really been pulled in by the trailers. I was not going to see it in the theatre. But your review makes me think maybe i should give it a try.

12. ColoJohnBoy macrumors 65816

ColoJohnBoy

Free association. Just one of those things. The same reason I think "murder can be justified" when I think of Sofia Coppola. Quite odd.

13. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

I haven't read any posts yet but I'm very interested in this film. It looks and sounds brilliant, sure The Mail gave it a turkey award, but MEN gave it 4 stars. And from you ClayJ you're first couple of lines said you loved it. My sort of film. Gotta see :)

14. blackfox macrumors 65816

blackfox

I haven't seen the movie yet - but I'd like to, which must mean something because I haven't gone to the Cinema for a couple of years.

I do wonder how well this movie will do at the box-office. It seems to be portrayed as more of an action, stuff-blows-up movie than it actually is.

I am not sure audiences will appreciate the political subtext or the related subversive themes. Perhaps I am giving audiences too little credit.

Thoughts?

15. 2nyRiggz macrumors 603

2nyRiggz

V for very entertaining....this movie was nice and hugo weaving did a good job. NP can film a movie with her taking a dump and her role will still be very entertaining:)confused: )...i liked it.

Bless

16. devilot Moderator emeritus

devilot

I made myself resist the temptation to click on this thread...

until I saw it this afternoon. :p One line I found particularly dissapointing? When Natalie Portman says, "But I don't want you to die!"
    I enjoyed the movie, but I am biased... I <3 Natalie Portman. :eek:

17. fradac macrumors regular

my brother and I just came in from the movie, and we couldn't stop talking about in the drive home.

Natalie Portman is a phenomenon , and Hugo was amazing behind his mask.

i loves the exquisite dialogues with so much depth along with the amazing visual stimuli.

absolutely loved it

everyone GO SEE IT

18. Phat_Pat macrumors 68000

Phat_Pat

19. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

But I do enjoy Lost in Translation, even though I'm sure you di'int. She deserves to live just for that. And casting Bill Murray as the lead.

20. Piarco macrumors 68030

Piarco

So it is beginning to seem that its London based reviewers who don't like it... some logic in that.
    Any comments on Natalie Portmans accent? Its supposed to be frickin' aweful, not consistant at all... and from the trailers its not exactly great...

21. homerjward macrumors 68030

homerjward

i really loved it. it had a lot of explosions and typical action movie crap, but it was a lot deeper than that. it definitely had a lot to say about where we're headed....
    i'd love to find a transcript of that "v" sentence so i can look at it--it just flew by so past :p

22. noelister macrumors 6502

I just made it back from seeing V and I loved it. :D

23. runninmac macrumors 65816

runninmac

I second that! It was amazing except will/could their be a sequel? One of the best movies I have seen in a while.

So... how do the Brits feel about this?

24. eva01 macrumors 601

eva01

Why oh Why was this made into a movie before Watchmen

Watchmen = Best Moore comic EVER.

Good movie nonetheless but i fracking want watchmen

And clayj his name was not in the credits not due to the changes but he hated the story, he didn't want the comic even published, he thought it was horrible and incomplete.

25. Mike Teezie macrumors 68020

Mike Teezie

Never read the comic, but I saw the film last night and really loved it. I'll be picking it up on DVD when it comes out for sure.

Hugo Weaving did a wonderful job, his V was one of the cooler characters I've seen in a while.

Natalie Portman was great as well.