Vacation Blackout Hints at Late July Release for OS X Mountain Lion

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, Jun 22, 2012.

1. macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

At its Worldwide Developers Conference earlier this month, Apple officially announced that OS X Mountain Lion would launch sometime in July through the Mac App Store, carrying a low upgrade price of $19.99 for users of OS X Lion or Snow Leopard. Following the conference keynote, Apple also released a "near-final" version of OS X Mountain Lion to developers for testing purposes.

[​IMG]

MacRumors has now heard from several employees at a third-party firm offering technical support for Apple products that their company has imposed a vacation blackout from July 22 through 29, requiring "all hands on deck" in its desktop and portables division to support an unspecified event.

Speculation naturally turns to OS X Mountain Lion as the event in question, although some potential customers may be hoping that new iMac and/or Mac mini hardware could arrive at the same time. Apple scheduled just such a simultaneous hardware/software launch last July, introducing new MacBook Air and Mac mini models alongside OS X Lion.

Article Link: Vacation Blackout Hints at Late July Release for OS X Mountain Lion

2. macrumors 603

Michaelgtrusa

I happy to see you soon 10.8.

3. macrumors regular

Or is really hinting the iPhone 5...
    tum tum tum

4. macrumors 68040

xgman

All hands on deck for a minor OS bump (yes I said minor) seems a bit much. Maybe some new hardware to go along with it hopefully.

5. macrumors 6502a

Mad-B-One

Yea, missing a conference though - they won't release it with just a press conference. The hint would rather be: iOS 6 in Fall 2012... tum tum tum

6. macrumors 68000

the new iphone launch for sure.

an osx launch would constitute a shorter lunch break than non vacation time off :p

7. macrumors 603

nuckinfutz

I'm not thinking a downloadable only OS is cause for all employees being on deck and not being able to take vacation in a very popular month for taking vacation.

8. macrumors 68040

xgman

I wish. It wouldn't hurt to get that going sooner, but highly doubtful.

9. macrumors 6502a

Mad-B-One

Some hope for the Mac Pro there :cool:

10. macrumors 6502a

Razorhog

I'm betting it's Mountain Lion and hopefully the new iMac and Mac Mini. The iPhone will wait for a 4th quarter release.

11. macrumors 68040

xgman

Not even a glimmer. They said desktop and portables. That does sound like OSX ML, but imac could be present to round things out. Still 7 days seems like overkill.

12. macrumors 6502a

With only a year to correct a ll of the shot t comings of Lion there is little hope left. With Apple spending so much lof it's time dumbing down the Mac OS I have my doubts of being wowed again.

13. macrumors 68000

iMcLovin

YES!, let there be a new iMac !!!

14. macrumors newbie

Continuous Upgrading

I bought my Macbook Pro in Summer of 2010 and it had Snow Leopard on it. I then did the upgrade to Lion when it came out. I, of course, will upgrade to Mountain Lion when it comes out. Do you think continuously upgrading a version of Mac OS X would "degrade" or something similar?
    I come from and continue to be in the world of Windows in my career. I do fresh installs of Windows when new versions come out because it just works better.

15. macrumors 68040

xgman

What events have they done this vacation blackout for so long in the recent past?

16. macrumors 6502a

olowott

Hope it Comes in Early July or Mid :)

and Please Kindly add some iMacs n mini to the list with new tags ;)

17. macrumors 68040

Given the (pathetic) update it received less than 30 days ago, no .... just...no. The next Mac Pro update will not be this year.

18. macrumors 6502

bounou

Ivy bridge refresh of the mini would be nice, not going to lie i would really like to see a mini with a decent GPU in it, something like the 650m

19. macrumors 68040

xgman

yes, moved on. Now I am in the imac line waiting all over again. :(

20. macrumors regular

Metal Dice

Hopefully we'll see a new iMac the 22th of July!

21. macrumors G3

QCassidy352

I can't see this being the iPhone because of the fall iOS six release... But what else would require an all hands on deck?? ML, iMac, and Mac mini would definitely not (ML is download only, and the other two are not big enough sellers or even close).

22. macrumors 68000

KylePowers

Neato burrito.

I'd put money on new iMacs and Mac Minis in July.

13in rMBP in August.

2012 iPhone in September.

Me claiming bankruptcy in October.

23. macrumors 6502

kironin

great! should be able to skip Lion like I skipped Leopard.

24. macrumors newbie

Too much being read into this.

it's back to school demand.

25. macrumors 6502

Apple Retail hasn't blocked off vacations for OS releases since AT LEAST 2007. I wouldn't be surprised if this is for something else, or specifically for areas that have high physical sales on OS's, especially with the emphasis on App Store download process for it.