Vacation in US Virgin Islands

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by YS2003, Jan 20, 2007.

1. YS2003 macrumors 68020

YS2003

Have you ever been to US Virgin Islands? If so, I would like hear your suggestions on where to stay, where to see, how to travel among islands, what activities you have done, where to dine, and how much a week long vacation would cost for a single person.

2. furcalchick macrumors 68020

furcalchick

i've been to st. croix, in fact, my folks are going there this week. i don't know anything about hotel stays or anything like that, since we just stay with relatives down there. but airfare is really expensive, prepare to shell out 500+ bucks a person for a flight down there as my folks found out. and you will need a passport (which is stupid, it's a us territory, not a third world country like it's trying to operate as). everything is way expensive down there (all food, not just the restaurants).

you should check out the rainforest just north of fredircksted, point udall, and chirstiensted especially. also, snorkel on a few of the beaches, especially near the two towns. it's been a while since i was there last, so i don't know too much in specifics. plan to rent a car for at least a couple of days during your stay to see some of this stuff, but the public transportation system isn't too bad from my last recalling.

3. YS2003 thread starter macrumors 68020

YS2003

Thanks for good info. I was not aware US Virgin Island is also subject to the recent passport rules. It seems US Virgin Islands are over-priced destinations. I will scratch that plan as i am not interested in over-priced destinations.

4. furcalchick macrumors 68020

furcalchick

some corrections needed.

sorry, had some misinformation on that last post. you don't need a passport to go to the virgin islands, but airfare can be expensive depending from where you are. but expect at least 200-300 dollars a person for a flight, and 500 is not insane. hope that clears things up.

5. BigPrince macrumors 68020

St. Croix as far as I am concerned has nothing to see but Beer Guzzling pigs and oil refinery's.

ST. Thomas is nice. Good Shopping, Megans Bay, if you like views, Blackbeards Castle(fort, cove, something Blackbeard). Also, I have never been to St. John's but I have heard that its truly a Gem for beaches. Not a place I would spend more then 3 days on though.

6. Oblivious macrumors 6502

I've been to St. Thomas a few times, but my cousins live down there so I've never had to pay for much more than the flight. The ocean and beaches in the islands are beautiful, and the sailing conditions are amazing. So uh, make sure you charter a boat if you decide to go.:p

7. BigPrince macrumors 68020

Your best bet is to go on a cruise that includes St. Thomas. Spend a morning the early afternoon then enjoy the night on the ship.

8. YS2003 thread starter macrumors 68020

YS2003

I think the cruise vacation would be too much to spend (I prefer spending money on electronics, software, and Macs). Also, there have been some news stories about the bacteria infection on the ship (people get sick on the ship) and a murder or two during the cruise (maybe it is easy to get murdered on the international waters).

9. BigPrince macrumors 68020

If you shop around there are really great deals. Best to find one that leaves near you, if possible to eliminate the cost of flying. Cruises can be really good deals if you have the patience to shop around.

Viruses happen once on a blue moon and the people getting murdered are getting murdered by people they went with not by some mysterious stalker. So make sure you go with someone you trust :p.