Vacation suggestion.

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by Abstract, Nov 11, 2005.

1. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

I'll be in Hong Kong for 2.5 weeks around X-mas time, and after X-mas day, I want to go on vacation with my little cousin. She only has 4-5 days or so, so nothing too far away. Oh, and cheap is good. Staying in Asia is probably a must as well. She just wants to get out of HK, and I can't think of any particular places, although I have travelled to some countries in Asia before.

I've been thinking about Thailand.....maybe going to one of the islands. I've been to Phuket island before, but I was a long time ago and wouldn't mind going again.

Anywhere else? We don't have a lot of time, so maybe relaxing is good, possibly something with lots of nice scenery. She lives in HK and is working all the time (as people in big asian cities tend to do).

I'm 25 and she's 23 years old, if this influences the decisions a bit.

2. Chundles macrumors G4

Chundles

Desaru, Malaysia was nice (it was 1993 when I went), as was Melacca. Singapore is cool but the islands off Thailand look amazing, especially Phi Phi - don't know how the rebuilding is going after the tsunami though.

Steer clear of Indonesia for a while though, it's a bit messy at the moment.

Oh, and there's always the South Coast of good ol' NSW..... :D

3. Abstract thread starter macrumors Penryn

Abstract

Whoa, I might be going to Jervis Bay next weekend! Whitest beach sand in the world, as they say, unless you listen to the fools who say it's somewhere in the US.

I really want to go to Thailand because I think my little cuz needs some sun, beach, and little umbrellas in her drinks. She also needs to get absolutely wasted on a beach at night. That'd be fun. :D

And you're right. Indonesia isn't the best place to go. Not at all. I guess if I don't check in any luggage and bring just a carry-on so that they can't smuggle the weed or coke in my bag, it's okay. But then I'd have to worry about being blown up. :rolleyes:

Lucky I'm asian. They'll be looking for the white Australian guys to blow up.

4. ZoomZoomZoom macrumors 6502a

ZoomZoomZoom

I once took a month-long vacation down in the Philippines. It's definately not suited for everyone's tastes, but it's great if you like time with nature with very few outside distractions. I managed to go to some islands close to Sorsogon by paying some of the locals money to paddle me over. There's nothing like having 3 or 4 islands to yourself, all with white sand. Just watch out for snakes...

Taiwan has "Xiao ren guo" or "Window to the World." Not sure if you'd find it interesting, though, since usually only really old or really young people would like it. I like it, though.. reminded me of the lego days, with the world in miniatures.

5. Abstract thread starter macrumors Penryn

Abstract

Thanks. :)

I've thought about the Philippines, but I don't know much about it, and don't know anyone who has been there. Glad that some people here are quite well travelled, as MR is a great resource for travel info.

So it's a place for nature lovers, right?

Sometimes the chinese name doesn't match up to the english name. ;) "Romanized" Mandarin is something I can actually read (learning mandarin right now from a book, and I can't read chinese), and I believe "Xiao Ren Guo" means "Small Person Country" if you translated directly.

6. adroit macrumors 6502

adroit

I second Thailand.

Especially if you're going around Nov-Jan becuase winter is the best time to go if you want to go to the beach.

Hotels in the south are really cheap right now due to Tsunami last year and I think they've already done most of the clean-up (note that it wouldn't be as crowded as well). Don't worry too much about the problems in the south, but do stay away from the Malaysian border because that's where the problem is worst. If you have already been to Phuket I would suggest try Koh-Samui or some other islands as well, they are pretty cool.

Bangkok is not a bad place to stay for couple of days, there are several streets just full of bars, pubs etc and some of them do make awsome cocktails (you really have to try sai-mai). There are also lots of temples and palace to visit if those are things that you would like to see.

PM me if you have any more questions, I lived there for several years.

7. Abstract thread starter macrumors Penryn

Abstract

Are there any good cheaper islands in the south part of Thailand? Supporting tourism in the parts that need the support isn't a bad idea. I'll probably enjoy Thailand wherever I go, so its not like it'll affect my vacation. May as well help some people out while making it cheaper for myself. I'll just buy more drinks there, or tip the waiters and servers better.

8. adroit macrumors 6502

adroit

Sorry for the late reply, the thread kindda got pushed down and I've just forgot about it.

As for islands down south there's probably too many of them to list. My favourite place would probably be Coral Island. The island can only be access by boat (you'll have to fly to Phuket, and take another 20 min boat ride). You'll have the option to either stay at Phuket and take a day trip to the island or stay at Coral Island Resort. The reason I recommend this place is because there are a lot of activities that you can do during the day (jet skiing, banana boating etc) but it is really quiet in the morning/afternoon so that you can sit/read quietly and enjoy the sun rise/set. Also, if you're like me and love scuba diving, this is definately the place to be (there's a reason why this place is call coral island ;) ).

If you like rock climbing definately go to Railay Beach Krabi, there are also several other islands nearby that would require you to belay from the boat due to the shape of the rocks!

[​IMG]

There are many other cool places such as Koh Samui, Koh Chang, Hua Hin, Phattaya (I don't really like this one) etc etc. Find some activities to do such as canoeing/kayaking, windsurfing, white water rafting, hiking etc and you'll have much better time than just sitting on the beach all day and drink all night.

Also one more thing that I would consider is going to northern Thailand, there are amazing mountains and rainforests that you can visit. You can sit/swim under the waterfalls, ride the elephant, go bamboo rafting etc etc.....

Now you've just made me really miss Thailand :(