Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

iag48

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 26, 2008
I need some advice, please try not to be biased towards the apple.
Someone wants to trade me their sony vaio sz780 with these specs:

intel Core Duo 2 Processor T9300 2.50GHz; 6MB
13.3" WXGA LED Backlit XBRITE LCD (1280 x 800)
2GB (2 x 1GB) DDR2 Memory (4GB Max)
NVIDIA® GeForce™ Go 8400GS & Intel® Graphics Media Accelerator X3100
160GB w/256MB Flash Memory/5400rpm/Serial ATA with G-SensorTM Shock Protection
Dual Layer DVD±RW Optical Drive
Integrated Multi-Card Reader for SD/MS/MS PRO with MagicGate®
ExpressCard™/34 & PCMCIA PC Card Slots
Integrated 10/100/1000 Gigabit LAN
Integrated Intel N 802.11a+b/g/n Wireless LAN
Integrated Global 56K V92 Modem
Integrated Bluetooth 2.0 (PAN)
Trusted Platform Module (TPM)
Biometric Fingerprint Scanner
Built-in Motion Eye Web Camera
Built-in Electro-Static touch pad
Sony Sound Reality Audio
Carbon Fiber & Alloy Encasings
12.5”(W) x 1.0”-1.5”(H) x 9.3”(D) Only 3.9lbs
Windows Vista Business Edition

Ill be giving them my 4week old mbook santa rosa with 4gb of ram. That sony looks sick! I like my mac but for those specs ill deal with windows

problem is I can 't find much reviews on that laptop.

motoracer1486

macrumors 6502a
Sep 26, 2006
What does that computer do that your macbook wont? Although the specs are awesome, I'd stick with the macbook personally.

Abstract

macrumors Penryn
Dec 27, 2002
Location Location Location
I like my mac but for those specs ill deal with windows

Since you don't mind using Windows, take the Sony. The specs are pretty good. I personally think that most of the "specs" are things I wouldn't even noice or care about having (ie: graphics card, modem, fingerprint scanner, SD/MS card reader), but the ExpressCard reader sounds handy to me.

If you are mainly into specs, then this trade could be worth considering if you're comfortable with using Windows full-time. ;)

Personally, I couldn't deal with Windows, not for a slight difference in specs. Your entire computing experience relies on the OS, and I wouldn't want to use an OS that I didn't like, regardless of the added media card reader or finger-print reader. Speed isn't a problem for me right now. Software that works, Expose, Dashboard, and now Spaces is important to me. Without that stuff, I wouldn't be as productive.

Hankster

macrumors 68020
Jan 30, 2008
Washington DC
It depends on what you're looking for in a laptop. If pure performance is your focus then the Sony would be the better choice. But, if you prefer the OS and experience of Mac then you should stick with the MB. Personally, I have a Dell laptop that's faster than my MB but I prefer using the MB over the Dell by far!

In the end, do what makes your computing needs more enjoyable :)

jbg232

macrumors 65816
Oct 15, 2007
That is a great deal. Depending on your MB configuration, you are getting a faster chip, dedicated graphics card, dvd writer, larger hard drive and better screen for the price of the loss of os x. Some people may state that the entire purpose of owning a mac is for the software, but as people above me have mentioned, if you like windows, DO IT!

Now, the question is whether you want to go out and buy more RAM again and possibly windows xp to reinstall on that sucker (sony bloatware is some of the worst). I'd just get an xp home full oem copy and format that baby. It'll purrrr after that I promise.

Forgot to mention: The two machines use the same RAM specifications so you can swap your 4gb into the sony and use his 2GB in the MB if he is willing to make that swap as part of the deal.

Edit: I just configured that sony and it comes out to $1941 - you are getting a hell of a deal!

iag48

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 26, 2008
Ill buy another stick of 2gb ram for only 30 bucks from newegg, so that's not a concern. I am aware of the amount of bloatware sony installs but I'll take a day just to delete that stuff. On the xp or vista issue, I honestly never had a problem with vista besides the fact that it slowed down my old toshiba down. That issue shouldn't be a problem considering the specs of the vaio. IF* sony has the drivers for xp, then it will be a matter of battery life.

Does anyone here know anyone with a sony vaio sz780

jbg232

macrumors 65816
Oct 15, 2007
Ill buy another stick of 2gb ram for only 30 bucks from newegg, so that's not a concern. I am aware of the amount of bloatware sony installs but I'll take a day just to delete that stuff. On the xp or vista issue, I honestly never had a problem with vista besides the fact that it slowed down my old toshiba down. That issue shouldn't be a problem considering the specs of the vaio. IF* sony has the drivers for xp, then it will be a matter of battery life.

Does anyone here know anyone with a sony vaio sz780

The sz780 aren't really out in mass yet I thought, shipping on their website says March 7th at the earliest, higher with certain components. I know that you can call sony and ask them for a windows xp cd downgrade if you want it. If you do that I don't know for sure, but it might just be a regular windows cd without all that sony crap and you could just download the drivers from the web.

kamm

macrumors regular
Feb 26, 2008
I have both, an older SZ3xx and a 2 days old BlackBook and I would definitely go with the Vaio - it is a MUCH NICER machine, a classy 3.5lbs case, everything is top-notch, you can switch between video cards, logging in or switching between users with fingerprint reader cannot be more easier and comfortable, much better keyboard & layout, very quiet even at top fan speed, FAR SUPERIOR trackpad (MB feels slow and sticky, two finger scrolling is awkward) etc etc.
I'd go with the Vaio, no questions asked.
If you'd only gain SZ Vaios' great LCD only it would be already a good deal - MB's display IS HORRIBLE compared to Vaio LCD - but rest of the specs, the fiber casing etc makes it a steal.

Also even if it comes with Vista you can just replace it with Windows XP, MS allows downgrading. Tell Sony to provide a serial number for XP as well (don't give up Vista, of course.) Make sure you make your Vista restore discs before you wipe out the disk: it ships without physical CDs but there's a small application with which you can burn your own kit from a hidden partition - make a double kit then boot from an XP install disc and wipe out the disc including the hidden pqartition so you can reclaim your full HDD.:)

digitalnicotine

macrumors 65816
Jan 11, 2008
USA
I have a friend who has the same Vaio (he picked it over the extra cost of an Alienware). He voided his warranty within 3 hours of ownership by wiping the drive and installing XP. I know this led to a several hours of finding compatible drivers, but he got it running XP. It's a nice machine, and I think you'll be content with the trade if you go for it.

I'm guessing you will probably adjust to Vista in a few weeks tops, if you use it regularly. Good luck, and I hope you are pleased with whatever decision you make. :)

kamm

macrumors regular
Feb 26, 2008
I have a friend who has the same Vaio (he picked it over the extra cost of an Alienware). He voided his warranty within 3 hours of ownership by wiping the drive and installing XP. I know this led to a several hours of finding compatible drivers, but he got it running XP. It's a nice machine, and I think you'll be content with the trade if you go for it.

I'm guessing you will probably adjust to Vista in a few weeks tops, if you use it regularly. Good luck, and I hope you are pleased with whatever decision you make. :)

That sounds wrong - warranty has nothing to do with the operating system you're using. Warranty is for the hardware - perhaps he lost support? That would make sense...

MicBook

macrumors regular
Oct 24, 2007
Mooresville, NC
Let me start by saying that I am not trying to be Apple biased......

.......But I had a Sony VAIO for a little over a year before switching to Apple my VAIO was great for about the first 3 months I had it then things started to happen first it started taking a lot longer to boot next all the media keys went out then the battery crapped out and a whole bunch of other stuff started to happen and I threw in the towel and made the switch and have not looked back the quality of my MBP is 10x better than the VAIO maybe better not to mention the customer service at Apple but if you really want to go back to a PC there is an assortment of other brands out there to rey I am just saying don't go with a Sony

OrangeSVTguy

macrumors 601
Sep 16, 2007
Northeastern Ohio
If they are willing to trade, I'd do it. I've always loved sony laptops.

Besides, if it turns out that you don't like the VAIO, sell it on Craigslist and go buy a MBP.

jbg232

macrumors 65816
Oct 15, 2007
If they are willing to trade, I'd do it. I've always loved sony laptops.

Besides, if it turns out that you don't like the VAIO, sell it on Craigslist and go buy a MBP.

Speaking of which, why isn't your friend doing this?

kamm

macrumors regular
Feb 26, 2008
Let me start by saying that I am not trying to be Apple biased......

.......But I had a Sony VAIO for a little over a year before switching to Apple my VAIO was great for about the first 3 months I had it then things started to happen first it started taking a lot longer to boot next all the media keys went out then the battery crapped out and a whole bunch of other stuff started to happen and I threw in the towel and made the switch and have not looked back the quality of my MBP is 10x better than the VAIO maybe better not to mention the customer service at Apple but if you really want to go back to a PC there is an assortment of other brands out there to rey I am just saying don't go with a Sony

I disagree. You got a lemon there, sure but it happens in Macland too so I don't think one case means anything. I abused our SZ3xx pretty badly time by time in the past 1-2 years, it even fell once but still works fine. Windows needs some tweaking, of course and I refuse to upgrade to the bloatware (that is Vista) but that's all, do not install all kind of crap.
I use MBPs time by time and I think it's nowhere better than SZ - in fact I'd say SZ is simply superior to most laptops out there including MBP.

Sesshi

macrumors G3
Jun 3, 2006
One Nation Under Gordon
Spend a day (or in my case, 2 hours) de-bloating the Sony and you have a MUCH better machine, and a good (now) OS. Treads all over the Macbook while weighing just two iPods more than an Air. Go for it - if you really are being offered it, which I doubt.

digitalnicotine

macrumors 65816
Jan 11, 2008
USA
That sounds wrong - warranty has nothing to do with the operating system you're using. Warranty is for the hardware - perhaps he lost support? That would make sense...

Yes, sorry I didn't specify. He lost the software support portion of his warranty. The hardware support remains intact. Clearly he had no problem with losing this. ;)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.