Value help?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by mrgreen4242, Mar 9, 2006.

1. mrgreen4242 macrumors 601

mrgreen4242

Ok, I'm trying to figure out what this Mac is worth:

TiBook
    400mhz
    384mb RAM
    20gb HDD
    DVD Drive

Here's the "catch(es)":
    LCD has a 2 pixel vertical green line (think it's the video cable - some pressing/twisting can make it goto one line)
    Battery has about 10min of life in it
    The case it pretty beat up, lots of scuffs, scratches, and a dent on the corner
    No software (maybe OS 9 disks, but nothing recent)

So what do you guys think this is worth?

Thanks everyone!

2. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

Given that condition I'd say $350 at most. The Titanium models have gone up in value recently and the 400 MHz model retails for $500-600 in working condition.

3. mrgreen4242 thread starter macrumors 601

mrgreen4242

Hm, that's quite a bit more than I was guessing, but I wasn't really sure wihch is why I asked. Anyone else have any idea?

Thanks for your input!

BTW, my logic for estimating lower than that was based on a $400 value for a good, working TiBook 400mhz, which looked to be pretty close to an average for a non-pristine but working model on eBay (ones from resellers go for $600, but from a private sale $400 looks about right).

Figure it NEEDS a new $100 battery, so $300, and IF a new video cable fixes the screen your still our $60 for parts and at least $50 for labor (it's supposedly a fairly tricky repair). So that took me down to $200 at best.

Dunno, like I said I was just guessing, and was looking for more informed opinions. I suppose that it could be worth considerably more than $200 if parted out, though.

4. GimmeSlack12 macrumors 603

GimmeSlack12

With the screen messed up and the battery totally dead I'd say $100. It would not interest me much at all, perhaps if connected to a TV to use the DVD drive.... but otherwise yuck.

5. mrgreen4242 thread starter macrumors 601

mrgreen4242

Well, the line on the screen is obvious and noticable, but it is still easily usable, especially as a 'second' screen with an external monitor set up to span. It'd do for occational travel work (assuming you replaced the battery) without being too awful. It's on the right side of the display about a quarter of the way in.

You make an interesting point, though; it'd make a good media center. Using an iPod dock and remote to control it in a closed mode. Do you think a 400mhz TiBook could handle video playback like that?

Anyways, a guy that I work with is selling this, so if I decide that I don't want it, or he wants more than I am willing to pay, I'd be happy to refer any of you to him to make offers. :)

6. GimmeSlack12 macrumors 603

GimmeSlack12

Oh... Thanks, but no thanks. I wasn't making an offer, just giving my opinion on what I'd expect to buy it for.

I'm living in England right now as a student, and am in no position to buy that computer. Good luck to your friend.

7. mrgreen4242 thread starter macrumors 601

mrgreen4242

That was just an open offer to anyone who read the thread. :) Thanks though.

EDIT:

Well, I just talked to him, and I think he'll sell it to me for $175. Anyone think that's a BAD deal?

Thanks!

8. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

If I had the need I'd get it for $175. I play videos using a G3. The Velocity engine on that thing will make DivX and Quicktime play smoothly.

9. mrgreen4242 thread starter macrumors 601

mrgreen4242

The only thing stopping me is that I JUST bought a Wallstreet 250mhz (it's not even here yet). Funny how I couldn't find a decent laptop for under $200 [no I didn't pay $200 for the Wallstreet] for the last 3 months, and now there's two. :p

I'm sure someone in my family would take the Wallstreet off my hands, if I decide I don't want both... ;)

10. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

Yeah, most video formats should play just fine using VLC. It'll make a nice out of the way media center or with an external display a good compact desktop.

11. Heb1228 macrumors 68020

Heb1228

Personally I wouldn't buy a beat up computer, but there are lots of people out there who will, either for parts or cause they don't mind carrying around something dinged up. It should play most video ok if someone were to use it for a media center, but forget about H.264. I don't imagine most people would pay anything over $200 for it. If he got $175, he'd be doing pretty good IMO.

12. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

If you're not going to carry it around to show it off it doesn't really matter how bad it looks as long as it works. I've seen plenty of headless Titanium power books living comfortably plugged into external monitors.

13. Shaker macrumors member

Shaker

Since we're on the topic, I've got another question. How much do people think the fair market value of a

15" Powerbook G4 1.5 GHz with a Superdrive
    It has no extras. Bought from Amazon for work ~2 years ago.

I ask because I have the option of buying it from my employer for "fair market value". I just want to make sure, I'm not getting ripped off by some desk jockey who doesn't know anything about macs.

P.S. The RAM in the signature is mine and I still have the original chip that came with the computer.

14. Heb1228 macrumors 68020

Heb1228

::shivers at the thought of having to look daily at a crippled Mac::

15. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

Apple sells that PowerBook for $1399 refurbished. I'd say $1100 since it's 2 years old.

16. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

17. Shaker macrumors member

Shaker

Thanks. That sounds reasonable, although I was hoping it would be under $1000.

If I do decide to buy it, how many years do you think it should last given the recent transition to Intel?

18. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

Major support should last at least two more years. Universal applications should be churned out steadily. If you're already making a Universal application clicking on a check box to give it PowerPC support isn't that hard or time consuming.

I only expect games to become Intel only first.