Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ZzBoG

macrumors member
Original poster
May 7, 2006
Hello everybody,
Really can't wait for august and want to get MBP right now...

...and then (1 year later) sell it and get a 64-bit version. What do you think will be the value of current MacBookPro with:
15,4" 2-ghz 2GB Ram 100 GB 7200 RPM HDD?

I know, I'm asking for a wild guess, but maybe somebody had a similar experience with such things?

P.S. I can say for PC - the price will go like 50%-60% in a year, but I'm pretty new to Mac...

CanadaRAM

macrumors G5
And we say:

Attachments

• howwouldweknow.gif
    howwouldweknow.gif
    7.3 KB · Views: 466

Eniregnat

macrumors 68000
Jan 22, 2003
In your head.
ZzBoG said:
Hello everybody,
Really can't wait for august and want to get MBP right now...

...and then (1 year later) sell it and get a 64-bit version. What do you think will be the value of current MacBookPro with:
15,4" 2-ghz 2GB Ram 100 GB 7200 RPM HDD?

I know, I'm asking for a wild guess, but maybe somebody had a similar experience with such things?

P.S. I can say for PC - the price will go like 50%-60% in a year, but I'm pretty new to Mac...

I'd wait 2 years for the 128- bit version, or will it be 512?;)

I think your counting your revisions before they are shipped. A lost of us are struggling to be able to afford what we need, verses being able to afford what we want. If you can afford to be a part of the LAG wagon, then good for you. I think your speculating on revisions before you need too. You could likely guess what your computer would be worth in a year by looking at last years 15" PB and seeing what it costs on Ebay today. Don't forget other costs (or improvements to your computer), like memory, AppleCare (which is transferable), and the like. They alter cost.

What do you do that you need to constently have the latest and greatest Mac laptop?

aristobrat

macrumors G5
Oct 14, 2005
ZzBoG said:
Right after buying my MBP, I eBay'ed my last generation 15" PB for $1550. It was six months old and orig. cost $1999.

ZzBoG

macrumors member
Original poster
May 7, 2006
Eniregnat said:
What do you do that you need to constently have the latest and greatest Mac laptop?

videoediting - mostly on the sets & on the fly

perfectionism is also involved - and it's a decease, you know ;)

Eniregnat

macrumors 68000
Jan 22, 2003
In your head.
ZzBoG said:
videoediting - mostly on the sets & on the fly

perfectionism is also involved - and it's a decease, you know ;)

If your using FCP and Shake, I can understand it, and if your in the industry then I guess that you have the cash to keep up with the need regardless of what the resale value is.

Our answers may seem a little harsh. The question you asked is not a poor one, but can be easily be seen in the wrong light. It's a little like buying a new car every year, because the new model is a little faster. There are editors that are working with ignorantly older hardware that do great work. I guess what I am writing is it seemed a little snotty. Neener, I can afford a new computer this year, and next year also.

I do recommend sharing your skills with the public. Offer to help teach FCP at a film festival, or teach a one day intro class at adult ed., or offer to volunteer at a city media camp. Aside from putting together PSAs for NPOs, teaching helps the community a great deal. I volunteered to help teach the basics of FCP, Shake and DVD Studio Pro for a local film festival one year. The Apple trainers were a blast to hang out with, I got some swag (which I wasn't expecting), and I also learned a lot. I love seeing the faces on people as they start to understand.

Heb1228

macrumors 68020
Feb 3, 2004
Virginia Beach, VA
Resale value will be noticeably higher than a PC. I'd guess around 70% if in good condition. And sell it on ebay cause people will almost surely pay more than its really worth.

Willy S

macrumors 6502
May 8, 2005
60% tops

1) The new 64 bit multiple core Mac laptops will have standard 12 month warranty.

2) New laps will have OS X 10.5

3) Your laptop is a Rev A product...heat and whine anyone? (just look at the resale value of e.g. rev A iMac G5s)

4) Your laptop looks just like the old G4s.... and not even as cool or powerful as the current consumer Macbooks!

Just face it, the times of high value used Macs is gone, especially when the hardware quality and durability has been beaten by many PC makers.

w8ing4intelmacs

macrumors 6502a
Feb 22, 2006
East Coast, US
Willy S said:
1) The new 64 bit multiple core Mac laptops will have standard 12 month warranty.

2) New laps will have OS X 10.5

3) Your laptop is a Rev A product...heat and whine anyone? (just look at the resale value of e.g. rev A iMac G5s)

4) Your laptop looks just like the old G4s.... and not even as cool or powerful as the current consumer Macbooks!

Just face it, the times of high value used Macs is gone, especially when the hardware quality and durability has been beaten by many PC makers.

Jeez. Someone sounds bitter.

I ended up getting my MBP 1.83 for around $1750 (Amazon - rebate - a9 discount - Amazon rewards). I suspect a year from now, I'll get around $1500 on eBay.

ipacmm

macrumors 65816
Jun 17, 2003
Cincinnati, OH
I really don't know about the new Intel Mac's I do not see them holding their price over the old G4 prices, people still pay over 1K for a Dual G4 1 Ghz Power Ma

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.