Value of powermac 867

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by JessFactor, Dec 14, 2005.

1. JessFactor macrumors newbie

I searched the marketplace and couldn't find any recent prices.

I just bought a powermac 867 w/640mb ram (512 + 128). It has the superdrive and 60gb hard drive. It also came w/an apple keyboard and mouse and a NEC 17" CRT. I got the whole setup off craigslist for $400 and I'm curious as to what this thing is worth. I thought I recall a site that has the marke value of older macs. Thanks. Oh and by the way this thing is way faster than I expected. Doesn't feel much different than the newest 12" powerbooks.

2. chaosbunny macrumors 68000

chaosbunny

Is this a dual or single processor? Can't remember if they made them as single processor models. Over here they go for € 500 - 700 depending on configuration so I think you made a VERY good deal! :eek:

Enjoy.....

3. JessFactor thread starter macrumors newbie

It's a single processor. Here's a linc to the specs.

http://lowendmac.com/ppc/quicksilver.html

4. slagonnee macrumors member

5. Steven1621 macrumors 6502a

Steven1621

I have to question the value of buying an older PM when you could get a new Mac mini for essentially the same cost. I suppose there is some value to having the full tower. I guess it depends are your usage and general perogative for the purchase.

6. JessFactor thread starter macrumors newbie

There are two things that sold the powermac for me.

1. 7200 rpm hard drive. The mini's 4200 is way too slow.

2. PCI slots. I'm going to add a few hard drives to this to have a storage computer that will always run itunes and iphoto so that any laptop in the house can use it. Also, the mac mini would be about $250-300 more than what I paid after you add the DVD burner. Then add a moniter, mouse and keyboard and thats another 100-150 bucks (used CRTs on craigslist are cheap).

7. NYmacAttack macrumors 6502

NYmacAttack

For that price I think it was definatly a deal. Much more room to upgrade than with a mini.